Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK HGV LICENCE TO USA CDL LICENCE

UK HGV LICENCE TO USA CDL LICENCE

Old Feb 25th 2009, 12:49 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK HGV LICENCE TO USA CDL LICENCE

Reading comprehension; we has it!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi

Sorry for the confusion. We arrived in USA January 2009. We have our permanent resident cards and social security cards. We both took our Florida driving test last week. My husband is just wondering if it's worth him taking his CDL. He is 57 so trying to work out if it would be worth it. He has contacted a driving school to see how much it would cost. They have not got back to him yet.
We just posted the question to see what other peoples experiences were.
Thanks for yours. We dont know anyone with a truck so thats a no go lol

Chris
I take it he has his UK CDL and has been using it regularly. If so forget going to a driving school. if he's competent at driving trucks (and left hand drive) then my advice would be to get his CDL permit. Then approach a local company with big trucks and see if he can get them allow him to go out and drive for a few days with one of their blokes. Then when he feels confident to arrange and pay for the road test himself in one of their vehicles.

They may want some assurance that he'll work for them for a given time, this would be a good idea because getting started in US trucking usually means taking a shite job at a shite rate (he'll be paid by the mile and not the hour). His experience in the UK won't count for toffee with insurance companies but it will have some bearing with a prospective employer.

Either that or just take the test and orientation with a big company like Swifts or J.B Hunt and get the licence that way but he'll probably be tied to them for a year or so.

Ahh and tell him to forget riding in anything as comfortable as a Scania. If he's had he's licence for about 20 years or more let him know that the newest Peterbilt, Freightliner or Mack may look the mutts nuts but it rides like a 1980 Leyland Roadtrain.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice
Smile Re: UK HGV LICENCE TO USA CDL LICENCE

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I take it he has his UK CDL and has been using it regularly. If so forget going to a driving school. if he's competent at driving trucks (and left hand drive) then my advice would be to get his CDL permit. Then approach a local company with big trucks and see if he can get them allow him to go out and drive for a few days with one of their blokes. Then when he feels confident to arrange and pay for the road test himself in one of their vehicles.

They may want some assurance that he'll work for them for a given time, this would be a good idea because getting started in US trucking usually means taking a shite job at a shite rate (he'll be paid by the mile and not the hour). His experience in the UK won't count for toffee with insurance companies but it will have some bearing with a prospective employer.

Either that or just take the test and orientation with a big company like Swifts or J.B Hunt and get the licence that way but he'll probably be tied to them for a year or so.

Ahh and tell him to forget riding in anything as comfortable as a Scania. If he's had he's licence for about 20 years or more let him know that the newest Peterbilt, Freightliner or Mack may look the mutts nuts but it rides like a 1980 Leyland Roadtrain.
Hi
Yes he has been driving since 1985 consistently. He is just trying to decide if it's worth trying to get CDL then job driving. Other option is to try and find work in warehouse. He also has forklift certificate.
Thanks for your advice. I will pass it on to Pete.

Chris
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Hi
Yes he has been driving since 1985 consistently. He is just trying to decide if it's worth trying to get CDL then job driving. Other option is to try and find work in warehouse. He also has forklift certificate.
Thanks for your advice. I will pass it on to Pete.

Chris
IMO he wont like the trucks, the holiday entitlement or the amount of time they'll expect him to be OTR compared to being back home and his UK Forklift licence is as much use in the US as hair on a fanny.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:40 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
IMO he wont like the trucks, the holiday entitlement or the amount of time they'll expect him to be OTR compared to being back home and his UK Forklift licence is as much use in the US as hair on a fanny.
Look what I found... http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/newsDetail.php?jID=209
Old May 18th 2009, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

british trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

hi im moving to south carolina in june to be with my new wife (an american citizen) i have uk hgv licence can anyone tell me where i can get my cdl in or around greenville sc plus how much it'll cost and how long it takes
Old May 18th 2009, 3:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by british trucker
hi im moving to south carolina in june to be with my new wife (an american citizen) i have uk hgv licence can anyone tell me where i can get my cdl in or around greenville sc plus how much it'll cost and how long it takes
see post 17
Old May 18th 2009, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by british trucker
In another thread on the Marriage-Based forum, we've determined that you're not going to be moving to the USA until early 2010. So you have plenty of time to look into this.

Don't forget, you're not allowed to work on the VWP while you're visiting in the USA.

Rene