Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting to LA cheaply?

Getting to LA cheaply?

Old May 11th 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

sectionb1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to LA cheaply?

Hi, my and my friend are going to LA in august to visit and live with my aunt but we want to spend as little amount as possible on flights etc. We are from the UK and will be flying from scotland( glasgow/edinburgh). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints about how to get the cheapest air fare over. We would probably consider flying from london or anywhere in england if it meant cheaper flights also am I correct in thinking that it may be cheaper to just get into america and then arrange a flight internally?
Old May 11th 2009, 3:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to LA cheaply?

I usually look on Expedia and Travelocity then find whats cheapest then go to that airlines website and see what they have.
It's trial and error it seems. I sit with a half dozen windows open checking prices and make sure to get the final price with the taxes before making the decision.
Going from Edinburgh you'd probably end up making a change somewhere along the way, either in London or somewhere in the US.
Same as when we fly to Manchester from San Francisco.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sectionb1977
Hi, my and my friend are going to LA in august to visit and live with my aunt but we want to spend as little amount as possible on flights etc. We are from the UK and will be flying from scotland( glasgow/edinburgh). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints about how to get the cheapest air fare over. We would probably consider flying from london or anywhere in england if it meant cheaper flights also am I correct in thinking that it may be cheaper to just get into america and then arrange a flight internally?
Great, does that mean you got your J-1 visa?
Old May 11th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

If you try 'booking buddy' you can usually get a varied group of ticket sites, I bought one through travelocity the other day, it was 50% cheaper than every other site, good luck
Old May 11th 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

also try orbitz.com

it's often cheaper to book the flight all the way through with one airline rather than say, easyjet to london, then a direct flight to LA. plus you get the international luggage allowance on the connecting flights.

I always compare the websites of the airlines against the prices I find on Orbitz, expedia, etc as it's sometimes cheaper on the airlines own site.

I know that Delta, Continental, BA and KLM fly out of Scotland, it's worth looking at their sites for prices. Tuesday and Wednesday are often cheaper days to fly.

I'm getting $656/£433 inc tax out of Edinburgh on 25th August with both Delta and Continental, one stop in Newark or Atlanta, that's on orbitz.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks and no I didn't get that J-1 visa just visiting for a few weeks maybe some day.......
Old May 11th 2009, 6:47 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Freight train.
Old May 11th 2009, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Freight train.
I was thinking hitchhiking.....
Old May 12th 2009, 2:06 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanks and no I didn't get that J-1 visa just visiting for a few weeks maybe some day.......
Strange choice of words in your original post then.

"Live with my aunt" isn't quite the same as "spend some vacation time staying with my aunt", and it sure as hell isn't the choice of words I'd use when telling the immigration officer what I'm going to be doing on my visit to the US!
Old May 13th 2009, 3:17 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Continental's website as they would probably go from EDI-EWR-LAX. Looking at your username, you wouldn't be an Airdrie fan would you?
Old May 13th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

You bet am a airdrie fan been a diamond all my life never though any1 on here would know what that name meant but there you go
Old May 13th 2009, 9:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html

Might be fun for you.
Old May 14th 2009, 1:16 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

You bet am a airdrie fan been a diamond all my life never though any1 on here would know what that name meant but there you go
You're a Clydebank fan then technically
"Section B" doesn't sound complete without the accompanying "wank, wank, wank"

j/k - all the best for your trip to LA. Mind, don't be tempted to overstay your 90 days.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

well being from coatbridge it wouldn't be hard to get the temptation to stay over there
Old May 14th 2009, 4:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

well being from coatbridge it wouldn't be hard to get the temptation to stay over there
If you have longer term aspirations in the US, don't screw it up with an overstay now. Work your options, young Jedi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.