Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advise in immigation to USA

Advise in immigation to USA

Old May 27th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Jules2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise in immigation to USA

Hi, i wonder if you can advise me I am married to my husband who has an American passport but has lived in the UK for 20 years. I would like to move America but i'm not sure on how to go about it. Myself and my children have British passports. Please would you be able to advise my options. I have been on some websites and i'm totally confused.
I do have relatives in the USA so i dont know whether this will help at all. Any info would be great, thanks!

Jules
Old May 27th 2008, 12:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise in immigation to USA

Originally Posted by Jules2008
Hi, i wonder if you can advise me I am married to my husband who has an American passport but has lived in the UK for 20 years. I would like to move America but i'm not sure on how to go about it. Myself and my children have British passports. Please would you be able to advise my options. I have been on some websites and i'm totally confused.
I do have relatives in the USA so i dont know whether this will help at all. Any info would be great, thanks!

Jules

Is your husband planning on coming to the US with you? If not, there is nothing you can do as your children are not eligible to petition for you until they are 21 and your relatives, unless they are parents, are not eligible either. A sibling can but the wait will be a long time.
Old May 27th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your reply. We are all planning to go US, just unsure where to start!

Thanks

Jules
Old May 27th 2008, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your reply. We are all planning to go US, just unsure where to start!
Are the children also *his* children? If so, they may already be US citizens - which would mean you alone would require paperwork.

Since your husband likely has ILR in the UK, he can file form I-130 (and accompanying evidence) directly with the London consulate. If the children are not USCs, I believe they will each need separate I-130s.

Note: if the children are USCs, they *will* require a US passport to travel.

Ian
Old May 27th 2008, 4:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Jules

This is the overview and filing procedure for a USC living abroad, married to a non-USC and wanting to move/immigrate to the US.

DCF - Filing your I-130 abroad - Direct Consular Filing (DCF)

Instructions for Filing an I-130 & I-360 with the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services office in London

I-130 Petition for Alien Spouse

Check back before you run off an put things in the post; there are a couple of little quirks n' tips that can improve your petition/application.

Expect the process to take 4-6 months from mailing the petition to visa in hand.
Old May 27th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure others will raise this. I assume that he's been filing tax forms all these years (note the difference btween filing taxes and paying taxes)?

Last edited by AlanR; May 27th 2008 at 5:07 pm. Reason: be to been (typo)
Old May 28th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, thank-you everyone for all the advise, the websites were useful. Just one query that was raised, the tax forms. My husband has not filed any tax forms, will this cause problems? We are a bit niave with all this, the decision to move to US is a recent one, so we are still at early stages.

Thanks

Jules
Old May 28th 2008, 4:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, thank-you everyone for all the advise, the websites were useful. Just one query that was raised, the tax forms. My husband has not filed any tax forms, will this cause problems? We are a bit niave with all this, the decision to move to US is a recent one, so we are still at early stages.

Thanks

Jules
Yes, your USC husband will need to contact the IRS Department at the US Embassy in London and ask how to file at least his most recent 3 years of tax returns.

Rene
Old May 28th 2008, 7:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, your USC husband will need to contact the IRS Department at the US Embassy in London and ask how to file at least his most recent 3 years of tax returns.

Rene
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irsfaq.htm
Old May 28th 2008, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Has the other half gotten his UK citizenship?...handy to get if he's been away for so long, in case he doesn't like it.