Reload this Page >

Brits living in SOuth Africa

Brits living in SOuth Africa

Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Duane W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Is Late Night Al's still around? Always fancied it. Good food and the atmosphere was pretty lively.
The one in Hillbrow is long gone. I do seem to recall seeing one recently possibly in the Milpark area.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

That's the one I mean.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Question Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Anyone know if "Fibber McGee's" (spelling) the irish place near Kylami/midrand is still going? If so is a must visit- loads of expats and wanabee expats - great party

bruce
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Simmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sa2oz
I had a response from a guy I know in UK who worked in South Africa for a few years (about 8) and still travels there to visit friends.
Here it is verbatim
"Pubs in the Northern Suburbs.
The best bet if he likes sport and wants to meet people of the Pom extraction is the Rio Slam on Wittkoppen Rd,
it used to be the Grand Slam. Tt's a good crack there.
If he wants a smaller place, then Tornados at the Olivedale shopping centre is a good one, just down the road from the Olivedale Clinic.
I usually meet there on a Saturday to watch Football ( thats Soccer to you colonialists!).
My local is the Gathering of the Clans at the Douglasdale Shopping Centre but its a bit rough. Then again my daughter thinks that all the pubs I go to are rough!
She prefers the O'Hagen pubs but they arent real pubs.
Hope this helps him."
Hope this helps

sa2oz

Gee, you have been great help, greatly appreciated, he came back yesterday morning and was really excited about the response and all these places to try out,Rio Slam Witkopen will be his first stop on the list as all the places mentioned are all not so far off, so thanks again for all your help and everyone else that had Ideas to share with me. You'all are a lovely bunch of ppl.

PS: How do I PM here, sorry abt my ignorance but I'm not so familiar with the ins and outs of this site, your help once more is highly appreciated.

Sims

Last edited by Simmy244; Sep 29th 2006 at 8:28 am.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Simmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really niceSimmy244 is just really nice
Talking Re: Brits living in SOuth Africa

Originally Posted by bruce67
Anyone know if "Fibber McGee's" (spelling) the irish place near Kylami/midrand is still going? If so is a must visit- loads of expats and wanabee expats - great party

bruce

hehe, I couldn't help asking.........what are wanabee expats? I will ask a gf of mine to check if the place is still going, she lives in CHarlswald in Midrand, she should know, even tho she is also a bit new in the area as she just bought there, will be sure to let you know.

Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Duane W is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simmy244
sa2oz

Gee, you have been great help, greatly appreciated, he came back yesterday morning and was really excited about the response and all these places to try out,Rio Slam Witkopen will be his first stop on the list as all the places mentioned are all not so far off, so thanks again for all your help and everyone else that had Ideas to share with me. You'all are a lovely bunch of ppl.

PS: How do I PM here, sorry abt my ignorance but I'm not so familiar with the ins and outs of this site, your help once more is highly appreciated.

Sims
Just click on the posters name and look at the options one of them is send a PM
Old Sep 29th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

hehe, I couldn't help asking.........what are wanabee expats? I will ask a gf of mine to check if the place is still going, she lives in CHarlswald in Midrand, she should know, even tho she is also a bit new in the area as she just bought there, will be sure to let you know.

Cheers
You are going to get me in trouble now with my fellow Saffa's!
Some South Africans I have met in the past don't seem to be happy with just being south african and when in an Irish or English pub will claim English/Scottish/Irish heritage no matter how small the link as if it was a prerequisite for being allowed to stay in the pub I know we'd probably all like to be Irish but there you go - wannabee expat
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:31 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Simmy244;3962384] hehe, I couldn't help asking.........what are wanabee expats? I will ask a gf of mine to check if the place is still going, she lives in CHarlswald in Midrand, she should know, even tho she is also a bit new in the area as she just bought there, will be sure to let you know. /QUOTE]

Hey Simmy,

Is that big squatter camp still oing on in Midrand? I remember that was a huge problem...........

If your lady lives in Chartwell (up beside the aerodrome or the Clinic ? ) she will know.

Shit mate, Kylami Road, not a safe road to drive after a prty @ Fibbers. Just hope your lady doesn't get a puncture on that road after dark.

Mind you Jo'burh is a hell of a partyplace and they are very relaxed about drinking and driving there. I guesss they have to be otherwise ther is no public transport (taxi ???) . I guess it's like everything else - business as usual !!!

Cheers
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:52 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the great divide back then between the Afrikaner and the "soutie" (British folk) and I'm sure a fair amount of that division still continues. I even see it here in the U.S. where the S.A. groups divide according to language, so you have my untold sympathy. There surely must be some British expat web sites in S.A. that could offer tips and connections as there must be plenty more of you out there in the same situation. Hopefully things work out soon. Loneliness is a bugger. Regards. Tegs.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:54 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
You are going to get me in trouble now with my fellow Saffa's!
Some South Africans I have met in the past don't seem to be happy with just being south african and when in an Irish or English pub will claim English/Scottish/Irish heritage no matter how small the link as if it was a prerequisite for being allowed to stay in the pub I know we'd probably all like to be Irish but there you go - wannabee expat
A wee drop a British blood is better than none at all!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:18 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Campbells;4418120][QUOTE=Hey Simmy,

Is that big squatter camp still oing on in Midrand? I remember that was a huge problem...........

If your lady lives in Chartwell (up beside the aerodrome or the Clinic ? ) she will know.

Hey Campbells

I'm not really sure what you are on about? but I said my girl Friend bought a place in Charlsworld, it's in a new golf estate, so I'm not sure where the squatter camp and chartwell fit into. But, hey you probably know better than me I suppose, as I'm not really the one who sometimes visit my friend at her place etc.

But, you are very much entitled to your own opinion and I wouldn't in anyway expect otherwise. But, WHile you are at it you might want to learn some comprehension at the same time.

Cheers
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:06 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brits living in South Africa

[QUOTE=Simmy244;4420814][QUOTE=Campbells;4418120][QUOTE=Hey Simmy,

Hey Campbells

I'm not really sure what you are on about? but I said my girl Friend bought a place in Charlsworld, it's in a new golf estate, so I'm not sure where the squatter camp and chartwell fit into. But, hey you probably know better than me I suppose, as I'm not really the one who sometimes visit my friend at her place etc.

But, you are very much entitled to your own opinion and I wouldn't in anyway expect otherwise. But, WHile you are at it you might want to learn some comprehension at the same time.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Cheers
Hi,

I have quoted your post where you say Charlswald as being in Midrand.

My question was asking if close to Grand central airport in Midrand or the Carstenhof Clinic. In between these two locations there was a huge squatter camp which ended up taken over President Park residential area there.

Doing a Google I think you mean Carlswald note the spelling.

I apologise, I read your post and thought your Nick “Simmy” as being a bloke and referring to your gf as your partner!

Therefore I thought some bloke referring to his gf drinking at Fibbers and driving home to Midrand. Not very safe areas for someone after partying at Fibbers, they may just get a puncture or something.

That was the way I read your post. Maybe we both learn

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by adygolder
Hi there Simmy
I have the same problem, I moved out to SA in March this year, with my SA husband. We live in a small town - Frankfort - Freestate - about 2hrs south of Joburg. I feel very lonely at times and would also love to meet fellow Brits! Just for a beer and a chat (and complain about the English weather!!!!) If anyone knows of any clubs etc where expats meet, I would love to know...
Yeah,

Castle Tavern ......................

Sheppards Bush

NEWSFLASH: Most people are trying to leave SA