Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medical records to take with you

medical records to take with you

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:01 pm

peppa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medical records to take with you

hi,
can anyone advise if we need full medical records to bring over with us?
only our doctor won't part with the originals here in UK, and wants 25p per page to give the family copies of them!
thanks!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical records to take with you

Originally Posted by peppa
hi,
only our doctor won't part with the originals here in UK, and wants 25p per page to give the family copies of them!
thanks!
I was thinking of asking for a detailed summary. Not too sure if they'll oblige. Would welcome any comments?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:38 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peppa
hi,
thanks!
Aren't the records technically yours....tell him to give you them so you can

change doctors..

or can't you get a copy via the data protection act thingy...

CORKER
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I was told I'd have to pay £50 for a copy of my medical records! So guess what.... I'm going without them. I suppose I could send for them if needed once arrived but nothing really serious has happened to me so they are not that interesting anyway!!!
Karen x
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:11 am

i did ask for the originals but was told they didnt belong to the surgery but to the state or something so i couldn't get them.

if you change doctors in the UK, then they go to some clearing place, before getting sent to your new doctors.

as you can see my doctors is not the most helpful on this, so appreciate your advice before forking out more cash for loads of photocopies if I can get away with less!

thanks!!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:20 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

We got all of ours (5 of us) before we came...including the kids immuntisation records etc and it cost us nearly £80!!!! I suppose I was just erring on the side of caution. But i wish I hadn't bothered with any of it....none of the schools have asked for any proof of jabs etc.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:36 am
ABCDiamond

The Doctors aren't normally interested in seeing your old records, unless it is for some unusual condition where your records may be useful.

Has anyone needed to give records to a Doctor over here ?

Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

my doctors in the uk did a "screen dump" of our records - its like a brief summary that they usually print off to take when they do home visits - it has all the info that is needed - they went back 3 years i think - it also included immunisations - regular medication/conditions etc
they didnt charge me for it at all & it has been sufficient for the school & docs etc.
i didnt speak to the doctor - i phoned the receptionist & spoke to her - i collected it 2 days before we went to oz - (just incase we saw the doc in between her doing it & us going)

i would phone again - put on your nicest voice & see if they wiull help

hth

pootle26
Old Aug 24th 2005, 4:54 am

thanks, they did mention a summary page thing, so if i can get by on that I'll give it a go.

as long as I've got my maternity notes close by in my hand luggage, then i should be okay..!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
my doctors in the uk did a "screen dump" of our records - its like a brief summary that they usually print off to take when they do home visits - it has all the info that is needed - they went back 3 years i think - it also included immunisations - regular medication/conditions etc
they didnt charge me for it at all & it has been sufficient for the school & docs etc.
This is REALLY easy for them to do - it doesn't even take them 5 seconds.
(The common computer package is called "EMIS", if anyone is interested.)

You'll only be doing it for peace of mind.

Growing up in Oz I was at the same surgery from age 7 - 17, then afterwards at any old place for the next ten years. ie I must have had some form of medical records at a dozen different places.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Took the kids red books (health record given by health visitor and updated for immunisations, etc) which I had updated at the docs before I left.

Didn't advise docs officially so we could stay on the register in case we ever go back. Very good doctor and hard to get on his list.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flip
Didn't advise docs officially so we could stay on the register in case we ever go back. Very good doctor and hard to get on his list.
When I left in 1986, and then returned in 1996, I hadn't told my doctor that I had left, but when I got back, I found I had been removed from his list and my file sent somewhere into neverland.

Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I approached the doctor (whilst still in the uk) and was told we couldn't take them - they belong to the state. However, they would photcopy then for 50p a page!!! Bloody cheek. Luckily for us, a family friend worked at the surgery and she did it on the sly for nothing, fo us!

Haven't had to use ours here (ste and I) but needed the kids ones for their Immunisation records, in addition to the red health books we brought over with us.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 6:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I left in 1986, and then returned in 1996, I hadn't told my doctor that I had left, but when I got back, I found I had been removed from his list and my file sent somewhere into neverland.
They do the same with local Dentist practices, records, no file etc.

When we went back earlier this year for a holiday, my hubby tried to get into his old dentist practice for a check up ( over 13 yrs ago he last saw this UK dentist), nope - and the file/history had long since gone when he asked for it.

I did not try the doctors when I went back , but apparently they keep sending check up notices to my old address in the UK for routine smear tests - so I'm still on their file for some reason ( haven't been to this practice for well over 13 yrs when I left the UK), but they still have my file.

P.S no, I've never personally never needed any of my UK history/medical files here.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 24th 2005 at 6:16 am.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Trekrider will become famous soon enoughTrekrider will become famous soon enough

When my wife told our doctor's surgery that we were going to Oz she was told that our files would all be sent to a central 'dead records' department from which they never return.

This posed the question for us that when we have a medical in Oz for our PR visa (having come out on a 457) and fill in the forms of what to put, as the Oz authorities have no way of checking up on the validity of it. This means you could have had some major illnesses in the past and if you don't mention them they will never know and have no way of finding out! This isn't a problem for us as we have nothing to hide but for some it could be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.