Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering fund to Aus

Transfering fund to Aus

Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:01 am
Just Joined

dkle2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering fund to Aus

Hi I have a bit of cash > 10K that I need to transfer to my Australian account.

Any recommendation on the best way and cheapest way to do this?

The banks seem to charge a lot.

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering fund to Aus

We always use OzForex.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We always use OzForex.
+1!
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

If from the UK then try TransferWise or XE.com. Check them all out as they make their profits skimming of the actual exchange rate and then you have swift transaction fees in some cases. Last time I did Uk to Oz no swift fee but Oz to UK I always get the Swift fee, 25unit of the originating currency.

Also, check out Customs as I'm pretty sure 10k and over gets some fee charged to it. if so then do it as 2 5K transactions
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
We always use OzForex.
+1

If it is over $A10,000 their is no transfer fee and a good exchange rate
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by denzil73

Also, check out Customs as I'm pretty sure 10k and over gets some fee charged to it. if so then do it as 2 5K transactions
Rubbish you then just get hit with 2 transfer fees (if using OzForex as it's below the $A10,000 for free transfers).
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Where on earth did you get that from?
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I got my bank Lloyds to do mine in `08 and I got a pretty good rate. but have used Ozforex before, Still good. The A$10,000 thing is cash brought in as far as I could tell. There was no penalty for 100,000+
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Where on earth did you get that from?
Financial advisor and I gave the other 2 exchangers as options. Jeez
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Financial advisor and I gave the other 2 exchangers as options. Jeez
Get another financial advisor.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Check out private currency traders. Their fee is negotiable and will usually try and beat whatever Ozforex and the like charge.

Say away from the banks on Int transfers.

That said, for 10k it might just be easier to run with ozforex or similar. For 100k I'd be haggling it out with the private guys.

Personally I use HSBC premier for my transfers. Rate is about the same as Ozforex but for the convenience its not worth engaging the private guys for small transfers like 10k.

What's this on customs fee on 10k. That's rubbish right? I just though they have to let the ATO know if the transfer is over 10k?
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
Get another financial advisor.
Thanks Dr. Phil
Old Apr 14th 2014, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beoz
What's this on customs fee on 10k. That's rubbish right? I just though they have to let the ATO know if the transfer is over 10k?
Was either Customs or ATO that the advisor told me about. And supposedly you're meant to trust 'professionals'.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We always use OzForex.
Yep. I asked the same question on BE a while ago (although mine were Oz-UK transfers) and OzForex got way more recommendations than any other currency broker. We couldn't be happier with them - their exchange rate was miles better than my bank's.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yep. I asked the same question on BE a while ago (although mine were Oz-UK transfers) and OzForex got way more recommendations than any other currency broker. We couldn't be happier with them - their exchange rate was miles better than my bank's.
Never use a bank unless you have a deal like a HSBC premier account