Police family Thinking of a move to Australia

Police family Thinking of a move to Australia

Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

mswoodcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Police family Thinking of a move to Australia

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum.

Recently we have been toying with the idea of a move to Australia. I have a couple of friends who live in or near Perth, one being a police officer. Also family in Melbourne.

We are both serving UK Police officers. I have 6 years service in May and my fiancee has 5 this year. We have a young son who is nearly one.

I understand that we have missed the 2014 recruitment however this doesn't worry me as neither of us have ever been to Australia. Are we mad for even considering it? I have only ever heard great things about oz.

We have decided to go and visit first, next opportunity is THIS TIME next year which means by the time we have even seen Oz ill have nearly 7 years and im mindful WaPOL recruit 10 and under. This is unavoidable as we get married this year.

I guess I have a few questions really:

Is Oz as great as it sounds?

Is there any couples who are both police officers who have made the big move?

Do WaPOL recruit most years? From reading the forum is seems that most people apply to WaPOL however do any other areas like Victoria recruit internationally.

Any help or tips of where to even start would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police family Thinking of a move to Australia

Originally Posted by mswoodcock
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum.

Recently we have been toying with the idea of a move to Australia. I have a couple of friends who live in or near Perth, one being a police officer. Also family in Melbourne.

We are both serving UK Police officers. I have 6 years service in May and my fiancee has 5 this year. We have a young son who is nearly one.

I understand that we have missed the 2014 recruitment however this doesn't worry me as neither of us have ever been to Australia. Are we mad for even considering it? I have only ever heard great things about oz.

We have decided to go and visit first, next opportunity is THIS TIME next year which means by the time we have even seen Oz ill have nearly 7 years and im mindful WaPOL recruit 10 and under. This is unavoidable as we get married this year.

Do WaPOL recruit most years? From reading the forum is seems that most people apply to WaPOL however do any other areas like Victoria recruit internationally.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark and welcome to BE

Although WAPOL recruited internationally last year, and again this year, there are no guarantees that they will recruit internationally again. As to whether you are mad to consider it - you have family here which is a start, but I don't think the UK police offer career breaks so you would have a lot to lose.

Without an employer to sponsor you though there is no start as police officer is CSOL only and not sponsored by states that I've seen so all you can hope for is that one of the states recruits internationally in the future. Unless one of you wants to retrain in a career that is available for either the 189 or 190 visas.

There is a police forum here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79 - which may be helpful in the future
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

keep your eye on the step forward website...sometimes the deadline/criteria is extended/changed.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You may well love living in Australia, we are all here because at some point or other we thought it would be a good idea to move. But if you read a little more, you will see plenty of things said that are not great about Australia and no, not everybody is happy after the move.

It is another first world country and has the same pros and cons as anywhere else. It is not an idyllic lifestyle and it is impossible to predict which way it will go for you until you actually get here and start living regular life.

As the recruitment drives are periodic, I wouldn't skip one if it occurs before you visit. Loads of people make the move without visiting.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Slippery Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Victoria are not recruiting internationally at this time.

You can go through the academy but they have long waiting lists.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Is Oz great?

It depends on the person. As already mentioned it is a first world country with first world issues. The issues do differ slightly between the countries and that is part of the reason some love it - the issues are better for them. Some dont - the issues are worse for them.

It has better weather - though some find it too hot.

Perth is a very clean pretty city, but it is small and a little parochial compared to London
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mswoodcock
Hi all.

I'm new to the forum.

Thanks

Mark
Some (many) people love Australia, some don't. The issues that come up most are being away from family and friends and missing the 'British' way of life. You will have more idea when you visit, but sometimes the 'loneliness' factor compels a move home.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

yes its a gamble! everyones different! We LOVE it! 7 years in and never once looked back! AND 4 out of 5 of us in the WAPOL family...if you want it bad enough it will happen
Old Apr 13th 2014, 4:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very individual thing. You'll find as many people who are happy they settled here as you'll find those who are not/desperately miss home. Some surveys suggest more people fall into the "happy they settled here" group but I suspect the truthful figure is likely to be closer to 50/50.

It's less easy for those who have a family, but in some ways it makes sense to initially plan a move to Australia as a temporary one (but on PR) for say 4 years - enough time to secure citizenship and then make a decision at that stage whether to stay or move on/back. Approaching it that way means you minimise the bridges that you burn but of course the downside is to some extent you'll be in limbo. But isn't that the story of life?

Good luck, whatever you decide
Old Apr 18th 2014, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience I've encountered a lot of British Police officers in the Pilbara. As they tend to sponsor to get people into the areas that they struggle to find any body to work.
Being in some remote small town 100's of kms from the beach & civilisation isn't for everyone. The Australia you'd have heard about would most likely be near some large City on the coast.