Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Safest accommodation for lone traveller?

Safest accommodation for lone traveller?

Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:30 am
Just Joined

LoneTraveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Safest accommodation for lone traveller?

Would you say it would be safe for a lone woman traveller to stay in a rental holiday apartment for a few months, around in the Southern region, during the dry season, or would it be best to stay in a secure managed Hotel?

Would you say the Western region is safer than the Southern?

Thank you in advance for all your views/comments.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:44 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Safest accommodation for lone traveller?

In my opinion abso.. bloody.. loutely..that's my number one reason for choosing Barbados..I and many of my friends have done it numerous times..obviously you need to have the same wits you would have about you when engaging with people in your own home town but I honestly feel safer in Barbados than anywhere else I have ever been...don't get me wrong I have had my bag stolen on a beach in front of me and a few other hairy moments but they can happen anywhere...the key is watch who you associate with...there are a number of hustlers on the island (predominantly in beach locations) who target lone women but that's more for a relationship and the advantages of having a foreigner as a gf..on the whole I have found local bajans to be honest decent and welcoming (don't let the customs and immigration people who are your first contact influence that opinion) I have both lived in Barbados and travelled back and forth from Barbados on my own....and have many really cool Bajan friends who would do more for me than a lot of my UK associates....just an addendum to say that for me the South Coast hosts more opportunities to liaise with Ex Pats where as I found the West Coast to be more honeymoon couples and wealthy residents and travellers..so it depends on what you want to get out of your visit as to the best location....having a car is the key because then you have independence wherever you are
Old Feb 21st 2014, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Serendipidy! I'd much rather stay in an holiday apartment than a hotel!

Are there any apartments or agents that you could recommend? I only need something small and simple, ideally quiet though. Hoping to spend much of the day at a nearby beach. I'll beware of the hustlers and my belongings at the beach, but don't intend on carrying anything valueable, and I certainly don't look rich (or young!)

Are there any taxi/cabs on the island, or even public transport? I was hoping not to have to drive. Not really planning on going out too far for exploring, just to the markets for food. Really just looking for a relaxing time on the beach mainly. I'm in dire need of sunshine and a do-nothing-holiday (hence the travelling alone)!

Appreciate your time and comments.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 3:56 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

OK if you want to use public transport then being on the south coast between Oistins and Hastings would be ideal for you as the transport is good along those areas...there is a beach next to Crystal Waters which is a good spot as many ex pats lime there at the bar and the bar next door ..that lil beach is just down from the Gap and has somewhere to use the bathroom and eat...as for apartments let us know on here what it is you are looking for and for when/how long and we can all keep an ear out for you ...where are you located at present??..you can pm me those details if you want...have you been to Barbados before?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for all this useful info. Never been to Barbados before, but hoping I like it and will become a regular holiday spot.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

acebritty is an unknown quantity at this point

hello. i took my first trip to barbados alone last may. returned again alone in sept. had nothing but great experiences.

just came aback again a couple of weeks ago but with a gf that trip. ive stayed in christ church at the same location all three times. its a small private and quiet apt complex in enterprise very close to miami beach and oistins, supermarket etc. i chose it after reading reviews online. i also didnt want to stay at a hotel as id feel out of place eating alone etc. im pretty shy and reserved so i dont talk to people easily. lol. these apts have full kitchens so i was able to walk to the grocery shop for my supplies.

my first trip i spent 6 hours alone riding the buses as i wanted to see as much of the island as possible. after 3 trips ive met some great ppl and made some amazing friends. heading back in a few months.

anyway let me know if youd like more info on the apts.

take care
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks acebritty, Would love more info on the apts.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LoneTraveller
Thanks acebritty, Would love more info on the apts.
ive sent you a pm
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

THANK YOU!

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 24th 2014 at 3:23 am. Reason: edit smilie which was showing as a link
Old Feb 24th 2014, 9:51 am

Hi Ace do the appts have access to a pool..could you let us know the name of them on here so that others can go have a look?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Cessj is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Safest accommodation for lone traveller?

Hi there, I've travelled to Barbados several times alone. I'd agree with others that the South coast is best for beaches, transport, shops, accommodation. The West coast is called the Platinum coast for a reason. I'm currently on a long stay break in Hastings and I have one of the best and safest beaches in the world just a minute's walk away.

Rockley/Accra beach is fabulous, and really beautiful - azure blue clear waters that are generally safe to swim in. It's a great place to hang out if you don't mind the crowded beach scene - row upon row upon row of sunloungers, which I personally dislike, hate, though it does have the advantage of having a Tikki Bar which serves reasonably good food and drinks at reasonable prices. Otherwise there are lots of small bays going westward towards Bridgetown that I find just as good, if not better, as they tend to be quieter without the usual hordes of tourists. Pebbles beach springs to mind. All within easy walking distance and plenty of stops along the way if you want to refill...

Transport around? No problem as the island is served by government run buses as well as privately owned ZRs which are small minivans. And travel is cheap - only 2 Bajan dollars to anywhere on the island. I find it perfectly safe travelling around the island alone. I jump on a bus going to the interior of the island, for instance, jumping off as the mood takes me. Some will take you directly to particular tourist/visitor attractions. i find this an economical way of getting around the island and is much cheaper and can be a lot of fun - especially if you like music with your ride. Taxis are plentiful but, as happens in many places across the world, be aware that you may be charged more as a tourist.

In terms of accommodation, I am staying in a little family run apartment complex. It's run by a Bajan/new york couple and the guests here are from all over the world! There are ten apartments here, of varying sizes to meet different requirements and budgets, from studios to larger. They are set in an enclosed garden, and it is semi-gated, so very secure...in addition, there are two really great friendly dogs who live on the grounds. They know who is a guest and who isn't and respond accordingly! There are other single women like myself staying here and we chose it because it is has a real community vibe going on, unlike many other rental apartment complexes. I'd really recommend it if safety is a priority concern, and if you feel that you would prefer to be part of a community of other people. It's all very non-intrusive, you can interact with others as much or as little as you want. I take my morning walks along the Boardwalk and my evening walks around the Garrison savannah with my neighbours! The owners are great...I am aware that they keep an eye on me, as a woman travelling alone, but not in an intrusive way! If you want details, just get in touch.

I know you will love Barbados!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Ace do the appts have access to a pool..could you let us know the name of them on here so that others can go have a look?

sorry but i dont know about any pools. bringing my boys next trip so will look into even though they prefer the beach but its good to know.

i wasnt sure if i was allowed to share the name but most defintely.................

clearwater apartments, enterprise, christ church.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:46 pm

Its cool to share info on here as long as there is no "pecuniary?? advantage ..I think that's how ya say it but basically you cant advertise ya own shop, apartments. car etc but you could mention you have stayed at one or used a great car hire place etc...Does that make sense?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cessj,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I would like details.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:20 pm

Lone traveller i came across this website and thought of you ..loads of options where you could maybe travel round the island and see where you liked most....i have also posted a new thread explaining what I have found in the site...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Barbados?...FSQXwwodop0A5A