Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accounting Jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo area

Accounting Jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo area

Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:18 pm
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about
Default Accounting Jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo area

After my visit to Kitchener/Waterloo area last year, I'm seriously considering to start my new life in Canada over there.
I've done some research on the internet, trying to find out what are my chances of getting entry level accounting position in K/W and around, possibly Guelph, Cambridge, or Waterloo. I've found some info on the job situation in the area, however I would really appreciate if someone could share their own experience.
I am studying towards ACCA qualification here in UK, what means that I would have to start all over in Canada.
Thank you for advice.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

agibson6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Accounting Jobs in Kitchener/Waterloo area

Originally Posted by Tommy HC
After my visit to Kitchener/Waterloo area last year, I'm seriously considering to start my new life in Canada over there.
I've done some research on the internet, trying to find out what are my chances of getting entry level accounting position in K/W and around, possibly Guelph, Cambridge, or Waterloo. I've found some info on the job situation in the area, however I would really appreciate if someone could share their own experience.
I am studying towards ACCA qualification here in UK, what means that I would have to start all over in Canada.
Thank you for advice.
Cannot comment on the accounting job side but we moved to K/W a month ago but were already fairly familiar with the area after several earlier visits. If you have non job related questions we can probably help on them.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't have to "start all over" but you would need to re-take the professional stages of the exam, eg to become a CGA.

Like many countries, accounting in Canada is degree based so if you haven't got a degree already, make sure you obtain the BSc degree that ACCA does with Oxford Brookes University. Otherwise you will have to obtain a degree in Canada.

If you've not yet applied for a visa, be aware that processing times are quite long at the moment (4 years in London). Australia and New Zealand processing times are much shorter, for those who qualify.

Last edited by JAJ; Apr 21st 2006 at 2:02 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for advice.
I am a chartered accountant. If you have a universtity degree then you can apply to a CA firm with good chances of being hired. Be prepared to take additiona courses. We are short of CA's here. After 5 years you can expect a salary in the $110,000 area. Average salary for CA's in Ontario is more than $160,000. The median salary is in the low 120's. Regional variances reflecting local conditions exist. I make below the average but above the median here in Niagara for a top quartile level of compensation. Housing costs are lower, there are fewer large companies and so on. Toronto has more high level jobs and so more top drawer earners.

Becoming a CA in Canada allows you to work in many coutnries because of reciprocity agreements. When I say work, assuming you meet immigration requirements, your CA is recognized by the local governing body. You would only have to take a local tax and business law course to practice in a public setting say in NZ, or pass a US GAAP course to practice in the US.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:10 pm
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
You wouldn't have to "start all over" but you would need to re-take the professional stages of the exam, eg to become a CGA.
I checked CGA webpage before, so I was expecting it.
Originally Posted by JAJ
Like many countries, accounting in Canada is degree based so if you haven't got a degree already, make sure you obtain the BSc degree that ACCA does with Oxford Brookes University. Otherwise you will have to obtain a degree in Canada.
Got the degree.
Originally Posted by JAJ
If you've not yet applied for a visa, be aware that processing times are quite long at the moment (4 years in London). Australia and New Zealand processing times are much shorter, for those who qualify.
Visa sorted. I applied in Vienna, where average processing time is 4-5 months.

How does the recruitment of accountants works in Ontario? Is the system similar to the UK, where agencies "rule" the market, and most of companies hire accountants through them, or do companies rely on networking (as we heard many times before)?
Thank you for help.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

I checked CGA webpage before, so I was expecting it.

Got the degree.

Visa sorted. I applied in Vienna, where average processing time is 4-5 months.

How does the recruitment of accountants works in Ontario? Is the system similar to the UK, where agencies "rule" the market, and most of companies hire accountants through them, or do companies rely on networking (as we heard many times before)?
Thank you for help.
If you are looking for an accounting job, you need to be specific in your application of the word. Jobs are advertised in the paper, on line and through recruiters. If you are a CA then you can place your CV in the data base with the kind of job you are looking for and see who contacts you. You can also apply for jobs posted by employers who want a CA.

Since you are not a professional accountant of any stripe, I think that you could still utilize the on line job pages, local newspaper and could contact some recruiters. However, you should not expect to make much beyond $40,000 per year.