Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Planning a permanent move in 2014

Planning a permanent move in 2014

Old Mar 18th 2014, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

LiLBiggie1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning a permanent move in 2014

Hi there

Thought I'd just take a minute to introduce myself. I'm Kaye and I'm planning to make a permanent move over to Barbados (St Thomas) before the end of the 2014.

My parents moved back from London in 1996 and I've been a regular visitor since then. Had my first big trip there when I was 7, then again at 13, and I still carry the mosquito bite scars to prove it. Didn't have a lot of family in UK so was fascinating to see how big my family was - but that's what you get when your mother is one of 9, and your father is one of 11!

So Barbados here I come. The parents aren't getting any younger, and I have an Aunt in London with Alzheimers, so hoping to bring her along with me, to somewhere familiar, amongst people who can care for her.

I run an online retail site which I hope to keep going when I move over, which will allow me to work from home, but definitely hoping to enjoy being a 'lady who lunches' to make some new friends and root out some good local places to hangout in when I need a change of scene.

I'm sure I'll be back on with loads of questions about the procedures, processes and legalities of making this big move, when issues arise. But for now, just one question...anyone else born and raised in UK who has made the move - what are the biggest challenges/culture shocks you have experienced?

Kaye
-x-
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:53 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning a permanent move in 2014

Hi Biggie

Welcome to the forum and we are happy to help when your ready
Old Mar 29th 2014, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Alybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just a few lines about me. My parents also returned to Barbados in 2000 and I have been a regular visitor ever since, spending sometimes up to 2 months here. In 2012, I decided, as being made redundant, having a few pennies, to make a move over for up to 2 yrs to see if I like and if, make it permanent.
Well, it maybe different for you as you already have your business, but jobs here in Barbados is very few in between, there have been many layoffs and seems to be more looming. Salaries for jobs here as a quarter, if not less than they pay in the UK. Everything here is money, so make sure you have a healthy pot with you when you do come over.
The move over was practically straight forward, I wanted to feel comfortable to give it a good go, so I moved over as a returnee, bringing my car, as I cannot do public transport here, and some of my furniture. I have left my house in the UK rented out, which also provides a little monthly income.
Settling in was fine, no real problems. To gain more of a insight into the procedures, look at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website, booklet called FURN, which gives step by step guide on returning.
My biggest culture shock is the health care, beware if you are a sickly person, have private medical insurance as government health care is dangerously below standard.
Best of luck with your move and please feel free to pm me with any other questions.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Spragga is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alybaba, how complicated/expensive was it to ship your car and furniture to Barbados?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Alybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LilBriggie and Spragga

The move to Barbados from the UK was relatively inexpensive. I shipped my car and a small amount of belongings in a 20ft container which amounted to around £2400, then you have to pay Port charges, Broker fee and Custom charges in Barbados to clear the car and belongings, which equated to around $2000 in total. So roughly around £3200 ultimate total for the whole process. My belongings were cleared (ready to be delivered to your property in Barbados) around 1 week after arrival at the Port. The car took slightly longer around 3 weeks, which I am told is pretty quick as others have taken over a month to receive their car. I used a Broker for all the paperwork, which is easier and less stress as they deal with all communications between Port, Customs and Shipping agents.

All in all, it was relatively stress free as the Broker took care of everything and he even transported me around to various official offices to sign paperwork. (If you need his name and number, Im happy to pass it onto you).

Now, Im back in the UK, as things didnt quite work out for me in Barbados for various reasons. I have no regrets at all about my experience in Barbados, but for me, I just thought it was the wrong time (recession and missing family in UK) for me to be in Barbados. I found it extremely difficult to find a good job, only managed to obtain seasonal and sales work, which just was not my field of work, but did them anyway as just wanted to work.

Oh, and I shipped my car and some of my belongings back to the UK from Barbados 2 years later at a cost of £1600, then Broker, Customs and Port charges of £200. Considerably less than it cost to ship to Barbados!

Surprisingly, I even managed to obtain work within 3 weeks of returning.

Good luck to you both who wants to experience the Bajan life, as I said, I have no regrets at all and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and met some fantastic people who I am still in contact with now.

I seem to have some PM but cant seem to open them, so any questions just put on the forum. :-)
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

rtabenn50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you elaborate please on the health service being dangerously below standard ? I would appreciate your feed back please as I am thinking of spending some time there and may need medical assistance. Thanks