Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

We are finally moving to Barbados!!

We are finally moving to Barbados!!

Old May 25th 2013, 7:26 am
Just Joined

The Sullivans is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up We are finally moving to Barbados!!

Well it's taken a lot of effort, but we finally made the decision to move to Barbados on 31/July. House sorted out, school sorted out (the kids have a taster day on Monday this week), days spent filling in forms etc but at last we are going to live the dream. The only thing now is to find a golf/health club that doesn't cost £100k to join (like Royal Westmoreland). Any recommendations (in St James ideally ). My wife would like to work with a charity (voluntary obviously), ideally an orphanage. Any ideas you lot

Thanks for all your support - and any locals, who are fun, maybe have kids of similar ages (10 nearly 11 girl and 11 nearly 12 boy), let me know if you want to meet up. We are new and right now I can count the amount of people we know on the island on two hands... Which just adds to the adventure really I'm not the best BBQ cook but I can play a mean game of table tennis (although my son has just figured out how to beat me).

Just on the way to the airport now. Going home to Barbados....
Old May 25th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

britjax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We are finally moving to Barbados!!

There's no hurry Barbados is such a small island, life is slow so just wait until you get there and everything will fall into place.
Old May 27th 2013, 9:24 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to consider taking up road tennis its a cross between table tennis and lawn tennis ..looks back breaking to me lol
Old May 27th 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

I can recommend the Hash House Harriers as a way of getting to meet new people - of all ages and backgrounds.. ex-pats and locals..

Check out www.barbadoshash.com

You will see parts of the island that even people who have lived here all their lives (like my wife) never knew existed... and you will have a lot of fun...

Ian
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

LGWBGI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Sullivans
Well it's taken a lot of effort, but we finally made the decision to move to Barbados on 31/July. House sorted out, school sorted out (the kids have a taster day on Monday this week), days spent filling in forms etc but at last we are going to live the dream. The only thing now is to find a golf/health club that doesn't cost £100k to join (like Royal Westmoreland). Any recommendations (in St James ideally ). My wife would like to work with a charity (voluntary obviously), ideally an orphanage. Any ideas you lot

Thanks for all your support - and any locals, who are fun, maybe have kids of similar ages (10 nearly 11 girl and 11 nearly 12 boy), let me know if you want to meet up. We are new and right now I can count the amount of people we know on the island on two hands... Which just adds to the adventure really I'm not the best BBQ cook but I can play a mean game of table tennis (although my son has just figured out how to beat me).

Just on the way to the airport now. Going home to Barbados....
Sullivan family,

So glad you made a decision and stuck to it!
I hope it is all you dreamed of and a bit more

My 9 year old daughter (currently year 5 U.K) is the only one to persuade now that Barbados
will offer us a great life.
We have a large family and friends network in the U.K that makes the decision very difficult.
I'm hoping to be there for my daughter to start secondary school in Sept 2014.
What schools did you decide on?
I'm hoping to visit schools this year, although when we were there at Easter this year all the schools were closed!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Hi sorry to take so long to respond. Its like im on 'island time' already

So to respond in order. Serendipity i must be thick haha as i didnt get the road tennis joke. Please elaborate.

Sattelite Ian, good idea the Hash House Harriers looks fun, ill give it a try.

LGWBGI - we chose Codrington School. I absolutely love the place. We took our kids over for a taster day in May with the class they would be joining in September. They loved it. I was a bit nervous how they would react (as they are in a very nice school currently, Heathmount, which is a (in my view) top 100 prep school. I thought they may see Codrington as a little in need of a lick of paint etc but kids dont look at things like that. They are very excited about starting in September and 'everyone' made us all feel so very welcome. My daughter is 10, so the same age as yours may be when you arrive. She is the 'most' excited of all of us, so dont be worried.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:17 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

U mentioned table tennis...well they play road tennis which is a cross between table tennis and lawn tennis from what ive observed..but looks back breaking as ya have to stoop down
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

wow, i thought that was a made up reference....so there is a real game called 'road tennis'? Going to have to give that a try.

Where is the best place to join a great family oriented tennis club (if you dont live on one of the gated estates?)..any idea?

regards
matt
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Sullivans
wow, i thought that was a made up reference....so there is a real game called 'road tennis'? Going to have to give that a try.

Where is the best place to join a great family oriented tennis club (if you dont live on one of the gated estates?)..any idea?

regards
matt
http://www.proroadtennis.com/

Who knew?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: We are finally moving to Barbados!!

OMG!!

LOL !!

There is absolutely no way im going to be able to play that game!! Im in agony if i bend down for a minute, let alone play a full game fully bent over!!

Wow..wacky sport award of the week!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Hannah Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are still hoping to meet you there one day. Can't believe you are actually there already. So jealous. It is al happening very slowly but we are still hoping to get there eventually xx Hannah
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Ana Fraser is an unknown quantity at this point

Sullivan Family,

So glad to see these posts. We are a family of 4 moving there soon. Funny, we too say that we are going to be living the dream! We can hardly wait to get there and are so excited about the life we are going to have in paradise.

How did you guys adjust? This is our third relocation. We've been in Japan and Vietnam where settling in was quite a struggle. In my mind though, moving to Barbados will be a breeze. Please tell me it is so! Did your family settle down quite quickly and did you make friends quite easily?

Thanks!

Ana

Last edited by Ana Fraser; Feb 19th 2014 at 12:36 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ana Fraser
Sullivan Family,

So glad to see these posts. We are a family of 4 moving there soon. Funny, we too say that we are going to be living the dream! We can hardly wait to get there and are so excited about the life we are going to have in paradise.

How did you guys adjust? This is our third relocation. We've been in Japan and Vietnam where settling in was quite a struggle. In my mind though, moving to Barbados will be a breeze. Please tell me it is so! Did your family settle down quite quickly and did you make friends quite easily?

Thanks!

Ana
The posters have not been on BE since August 2013 and so you are unlikely to receive a response. Perhaps you could try sending an email via their profile.

Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Hannah Lou is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't made it out there. Our dream gas been delayed possibly cancelled because the company my husband was going to be working has had some problems with financing and we now don't know what is happening. We are still hoping maybe one day. I am registered to work there but because we have 4 children who would need private education we would need to both be able to work. Still love to hear how you get on and if anything changes we may still be I. Touch xx Hannah