Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Toon Army / EPL thread

The Toon Army / EPL thread

Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Toon Army / EPL thread

Originally Posted by iaink
Next year will be different. Our luck will change
Its all just bad luck in front of goal, honest!

<repeats to self until brainwashed into mindless optimism>
I went through that stage in the 70s and 80s when your lot was winning almost everything. I feel your pain
There again it was a different game back then and it was still a game so to speak although the business model and silly money was slowly creeping in and yes Utd were guilty of spending then 200 thousand on a few players.
If I can recall in that period I think the fans suggested we be renamed MacChester Utd due to the amount of Scottish players we signed.
Some good players though McQueen, Jordan, Buchan, Macari etc etc
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Wark, Gillespie, Hanson, Souness, Dalglish, Nicol...

Nothing wrong with scotish players...

Wonder where it all went wrong for the Scots.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wark, Gillespie, Hanson, Souness, Dalglish, Nicol...

Nothing wrong with scotish players...

Wonder where it all went wrong for the Scots.
Perhaps maybe these managers might have contributed to their demise.
Andy Roxburgh, Craig Brown Alex McLeish, George Burley maybe
Looking back in hindsight they may have regretted losing Fergie (85-86).
Hasnt he done rather well since he left Scotland or so Ive heard and isnt he respected by the fans of most clubs?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot george graham, and he won more than a few things, including the league a couple of times before SAF managed it.

Dont think the managers have much to do with the player production line. Strachan, MacAlister, then what? Fletcher? Its not like it used to be, thats for sure.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To be fair to the Scottish folk reading this though we can hardly say the current England team and manager selection is superior to theirs
Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
To be fair to the Scottish folk reading this though we can hardly say the current England team and manager selection is superior to theirs
Oh, I think we can...

Position for position who would you take from the scotish over an english alternative?

SAF as boss.... any more?

Granted, the end result with England is still poor, but put those players in a club setting and there is a real dearth of Scotish talent at the moment, certainly compared to the 70s 80s, even the 90s. My guess is pre premiership clubs used to go talent scouting up north a lot more than they do now that they can buy in from "overseas".

Last edited by iaink; Apr 18th 2012 at 5:12 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, I think we can...

Position for position who would you take from the scotish over an english alternative?

Granted, the end result with England is still poor, but put those players in a club setting and there is a real dearth of Scotish talent at the moment, certainly compared to the 70s 80s, even the 90s. My guess is pre premiership clubs used to go talent scouting up north a lot more than they do now that they can buy in from "overseas".
Position for position I would pick this team
http://www.wallpapergate.com/data/me...8dec4561_o.jpg

Times have changed Im afraid and yes the introduction of foreign players has somewhat changed the landscape. I just read an article that stated if being scouted as a schoolboy then you stand a better chance being from
Merseyside as opposed to the rest of the UK.
Not that I was anything special at schoolboy level but didnt we all have dreams of being scouted by a club and if asked to sign on then the last thing on our minds was so how much is my contract worth. If a big club had come offering seriously Id have played for peanuts (not literally )
Im still interested in the game but the business model and antics of players is quite embarrassing today as opposed to the 70s & 80s.
Its now club over country as they pay me and if asked to play for the National Team they think hang on I wont be able to tweet or use facebook for 90 minutes nah I will pass on that thanks.
Why did Paul scholes retire in 2004 again and now they want him back.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Im still interested in the game but the business model and antics of players is quite embarrassing today as opposed to the 70s & 80s.
Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Graeme Souness.. so much for "the beautiful game"

Scholes retired because they couldnt decide where to play him. They should have built the team around him.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 18th 2012 at 6:14 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Norman Hunter, Chopper Harris, Tommy Smith, Graeme Souness.. so much for "the beautiful game"

Scholes retired because they couldnt decide where to play him. They should have built the team around him.
Add in Nobby Stiles, Billy Bentley and a few others it was a tough game.
Imagine Ronaldo (CR7), Suarez, Young and Bale et al playing against those.
Commentators would not be discussing did he dive but how hard was he kicked
I was watching a compilation of Bobby Charltons better goals and I swear he was almost at walking speed in some clips compared to the tempo in todays game.
There again the internet and cell phones were not around so there is no guarantee that a Bobby Moore would be acting like a twat.
Wow how did we survive in those days
Ok time to find my walker
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I think we can...

Exactly...in all honesty, for the British Olympic Team it could be 10 english players and then 1 of Giggs/Bellamy/Bale.

SAF could motivate the England team like nobody else.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:33 am
100% chelsea

sw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud of

get in there chelsea, l am pleased with that, 1-0 up at half time
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sw6blue
get in there chelsea, l am pleased with that, 1-0 up at half time
Are you watching some sort of replay?
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:43 am
100% chelsea

sw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud ofsw6blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you watching some sort of replay?
yes novo,
l watched the 1st half but l had to go out so l missed the 2nd half, just watched the 2nd half delayed coverage on sports net west, took a bit of a battering but held on, all in all
l am happy.
to be honest l thought barcelona would turn us over, we have a slim chance in spain.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sw6blue
yes novo,
l watched the 1st half but l had to go out so l missed the 2nd half, just watched the 2nd half delayed coverage on sports net west, took a bit of a battering but held on, all in all
l am happy.
to be honest l thought barcelona would turn us over, we have a slim chance in spain.
Good. I didn't want to spoil it for you if you didn't know the FT result.

1-0 is a bit of a good result, Barca will need to win by 2 at home. Somehow I think they might just be capable of that though.

Anyway, good luck and knock yourselves out.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 1:08 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Good. I didn't want to spoil it for you if you didn't know the FT result.

1-0 is a bit of a good result, Barca will need to win by 2 at home. Somehow I think they might just be capable of that though.

Anyway, good luck and knock yourselves out.
I think we will score at the nou camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.