Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by noni
£2131 was our local National Trust Rectory for seven days according to the Guardian.
Ah but that's a holiday let (and over Easter), they are always more - I'm talking about a proper lease - e.g. 3 years renewable.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:09 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Some of the prices quoted on here are ridiculously overinflated - think about it, even the nicest apartment or resort in Goa does not give you decent roads or clean beaches etc.
I doubt that anyone here minds paying a reasonable sum, but not more than the equivalent in the UK, bearing in mind the difference in property prices and cost of living.
It is one thing having to find that sort of money to fund a two week stay, but for those who tend to spend several months in Goa, the place is rapidly becoming unaffordable - unless of course you are happy to pay several hundred quid per month to stay in a hovel.

Maybe it's time to find a new destination for my winter home !!!

Dread - x
Ive enjoyed my years in Goa, as many of us have, and a big plus its been good on the budget?, but its now fast losing its value for money, where next??, 2 years on my visa, 2 years in my flat, then???.
As we all know the place is filthy.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:14 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Ah but that's a holiday let (and over Easter), they are always more - I'm talking about a proper lease - e.g. 3 years renewable.

AndyD 8-)#
small terraced cottage long lease £790 month, water £443. Council Tax £1443. + heating bills!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:35 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

This topic is descending into the realm of utter b@ll@cks.

If we are talking about true expats (or those doing their best to be one). in Goa, not Indian cities or UK property hotspots, and not short stay holiday makers booking into hotels for 10days (how many expats stay in hotels for prolonged periods?) these figures being quoted are nonsense.

For long lease, away from the beaches a bit, £200 pcm for a nice house (not a flat) is still completely do-able, as many will testify. This will not necessarily be squalid either. Scruffy and ill equipped, maybe, but that is how many Goan families live anyway.

We seem to have gone from "property-ownership" dominance of the forum, to those same people (who haven't rented for years) lecturing us on fair rents and what we should expect for our money..........

Perhaps they are looking to the future?

Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
This topic is descending into the realm of utter b@ll@cks.

If we are talking about true expats (or those doing their best to be one). in Goa, not Indian cities or UK property hotspots, and not short stay holiday makers booking into hotels for 10days (how many expats stay in hotels for prolonged periods?) these figures being quoted are nonsense.

For long lease, away from the beaches a bit, £200 pcm for a nice house (not a flat) is still completely do-able, as many will testify. This will not necessarily be squalid either. Scruffy and ill equipped, maybe, but that is how many Goan families live anyway.

We seem to have gone from "property-ownership" dominance of the forum, to those same people (who haven't rented for years) lecturing us on fair rents and what we should expect for our money..........

Perhaps they are looking to the future?

J5, contributors to this Forum have many different circumstances, at least there has been some actual discussion on this thread about different prices for different types of accommodation.
Also circumstances are different in different years.
Yes at this moment in time our only permanent owned property is in the Indian City of karwar.
Only 35 mins drive from the good Southern Goa beaches, daily shopping in Margao possible. (There's an idea for others to move to!!!!!)

We sold our time-share and didn't rent, so this year only, on a very short stay in the area we stayed in hotels further North why not share the info?

(Avoided Benaulim; thought our ages and circs. might offend the chap that can be seen there waving a 5 year visa at passers by)

For those that want to leave, fine, why not do so. For genuine expats, and for those for whom the area is home, value for money doesn't always come into it, they will always be there.

PS our house is scruffy and ill equipped.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Considering that this is actually an "Expats" forum I find most of the previous posts more suited to "holiday truths"(not that i ever look at or partake in the mentioned).
I personally rent a beautiful 100year old modernised Portugese property , to which i have added the necessary day to day necessities and updated the bathroom and pay less than £200 a month.

The Russians have a lot to answer for in the price of rents being asked because some of them are prepared to pay ludicrous prices. I personally know a Russian couple who`s rent was 16,000 last season , went up to 20,000 this season and the crazy Goan /bombay owner wants 24,000 next season!!!!!!!!!!!They`re now looking for a new property!

On the other hand I have UK friends who rented a small brand new apartment 5 minutes from the beach (no TV, water filter, broadband etc) for 15000 pm for a period of 5 months.Nothing hovel like about it!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:58 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Talking Re: How was your stay in Goa!

Originally Posted by Bipat
(Avoided Benaulim; thought our ages and circs. might offend the chap that can be seen there waving a 5 year visa at passers by):
you've got to be kidding right? There's someone in Benaulim with a 5 year visa - well knock me down with a feather, I'd never have guessed. . . . . . . . . . .

H.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 8:52 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msj5
Considering that this is actually an "Expats" forum I find most of the previous posts more suited to "holiday truths"(not that i ever look at or partake in the mentioned).
I personally rent a beautiful 100year old modernised Portugese property , to which i have added the necessary day to day necessities and updated the bathroom and pay less than £200 a month.

The Russians have a lot to answer for in the price of rents being asked because some of them are prepared to pay ludicrous prices. I personally know a Russian couple who`s rent was 16,000 last season , went up to 20,000 this season and the crazy Goan /bombay owner wants 24,000 next season!!!!!!!!!!!They`re now looking for a new property!

On the other hand I have UK friends who rented a small brand new apartment 5 minutes from the beach (no TV, water filter, broadband etc) for 15000 pm for a period of 5 months.Nothing hovel like about it!!!!
100% accurate!

"Sold our timeshare"
"Enjoyed our two weeks"
"The apartment we bought 7 years ago"

EXPATS!

I take a lot of stick for having given up what I saw as an un-winnable battle, but even so have spent far longer in Goa over the last 15 years than most of the so-called expats this forum.

Those with PIO type status? Stop lecturing, you haven't got a clue what the rest of us have to deal with.

All credit to those who persevere, you have my undying respect.

Those tweekers who bought in a fit of enthusiasm and grind on and on here

Last edited by johnny five; Apr 25th 2012 at 8:59 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five
100% accurate!

"Sold our timeshare"
"Enjoyed our two weeks"
"The apartment we bought 7 years ago"

EXPATS!

I take a lot of stick for having given up what I saw as an un-winnable battle, but even so have spent far longer in Goa over the last 15 years than most of the so-called expats this forum.

Those with PIO type status? Stop lecturing, you haven't got a clue what the rest of us have to deal with.

All credit to those who persevere, you have my undying respect.

Those tweekers who bought in a fit of enthusiasm and grind on and on here

J5, I have never claimed to be an expat. But we have had a home just across the border for 40 years. We have spent varying amounts of full-time in Goa itself during this time. The time-share was just one of our means of staying (for a mere 8 of those years).

As I pointed out going to Goa was something we also did for the day or evening not a big deal. We have relatives and friends who live there. OH was travelling to there during Portuguese time.

Expats do not have an exclusive problem with crime, corruption, property buying and selling, etc. We ourselves have an ongoing long term struggle about which I will happily PM you if you have any interest, (and not do to family quarrels before you say it).

Everyone I have questioned on behalf of British Expats has sympathy with your situation.

As I said we will continue to be there whatever the problems because it is part of home for the rest of our mobile lives. Please don't look down on those who enjoy their time in Goa however short or long their stay.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:58 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear there are still some decent but reasonably priced places available. As someone who will be looking to rent for several months, I was rather concerned by some of the sums quoted in the previous posts.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest

Dread - x
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:02 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

I for one can't wait to return in November.
as a long termer, and property owner!
The Goa forum is for long termers, tweekers, or weekenders, we all have a part to play
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Glad to hear there are still some decent but reasonably priced places available. As someone who will be looking to rent for several months, I was rather concerned by some of the sums quoted in the previous posts.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest

Dread - x
Msj5 has a beautiful home in Goa, good luck to her.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:27 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
I for one can't wait to return in November.
as a long termer, and property owner!
The Goa forum is for long termers, tweekers, or weekenders, we all have a part to play

Does anyone on here really actually live in Goa if not of Indian origin? Maybe it is what you see as your home- but you still have to get out and stay out for 2 months at a time - so what is the real difference between someone who spends effectively 8 or so months living there, to someone who spends 6 months living there ?
A matter of a few months ? - so why are we trying to create some 'pecking order' of superiority based on how long someone spends there?
I agree that there is a difference between the two week stayer and those who stay long term, not least in terms of the need to budget, but also the mindset differs from the holiday mood to day to day living.
Surely this forum is for open discussion, occasional heated debate, sharing of information to help each other, and chatting about a place which we all share some level of affinity or history with.

Dread - x
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have a beautiful old Portuguese house in Candolim until we discovered that we had become slaves to maintaining the place.The roof and grounds,water problems from surrounding properties polluting it....cleaning the place, which took at least 2 hours a day.No wonder our landlord Cressy moved into a modern flat in Campal as soon as he could.We visited the place last season and two elderly Germans had taken the lease and guess what,they were thinking of moving into a modern place too.Portuguese style houses are great to look at and have parties in and impress visitors with ,but the reality is far from perfect when it comes down to earth.Give ma modern concrete box with A/C and a stout door and i can go out without worrying about burglers climbing in through the roof,jacking open the bars on the windows.They are great if you have at least 5 servants and a groundsman !
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:26 am
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

[QUOTE=hemingway;10025104]you've got to be kidding right? There's someone in Benaulim with a 5 year visa - well knock me down with a feather, I'd never have guessed. . . . . . . . . . .

H.[/QUO
Thats me Pal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.