Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How was your stay in Goa!

How was your stay in Goa!

Old Apr 24th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How was your stay in Goa!

:
To a huge pat on the back for all those who do not have to pay those huge inflated prices for a place in the sun....it does have its comparisons J5 in the UK of all places.Buy to let.....for every bodies information the current decent price for a studio flat near Calingut is between 20,000 and 25,000 a month fully furnished with pool and gate guards.PS... in the compound we stayed in there were at least 2 studio flats on permanent hire because the owners couldnt afford to fly out anymore because of unemployment issues for the over 50s.

.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:15 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
BHCI are not even replying to emails. Not long ago they were pleading with us to go directly to them and not through MP's; ministers; HM etc. - I shall be contacting my MP again shortly!

AndyD 8-)₹
Neither have they replied to mine - very disappointed in them,.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:20 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Obscene or not Dread, prices way above £1000 exist in smart areas of the big cities. More like £5000 in best areas of Mumbai!!!

This has nothing to do with foreigners, a rel. when renting, was paying £900/month for a quite ordinary flat in Pune 6 years ago.
It could be because buying with a mortgage was more difficult in India. (This is now changing).

Goa is different, post 23 was describing high prices for filth and squalor in Betalbatim, I pointed out a good hotel there was only £1000/ month.
However if you are only willing to pay the lowest price you will get a hovel.
I agree you only get what you pay for!

p.s. - I have no intention of renting my apartment out.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:47 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

As everywhere you get what you pay for!!!
In India its get what you bargain for!!!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:50 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by hemingway
Now this I do agree with!

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to spend time (2 weeks or 6 months!) in Goa and endure/enjoy a significantly lower standard of living than they do at home:

Yes the electricity supply can be temperamental but this isn't a total nightmare & a phase switch will help as can an inverter. Candle light can be fun!

A water filter/purifier all but negates the need for bottled water.

An oven & hob complete with gas bottle lets you cook your own meals when you don't fancy going out.

Modern fridge freezers are just as good as in the UK as are modern washing machines.

Tata sky or Dish tv is a damn site cheaper than the UK.

Decent mattresses are very comfortable as are cane sofas with a decent depth of foam cushioning on them.

An a/c bedroom is very useful if you are going to be there in April - even cold showers are nice in April but a water heater is useful in January if you don't fancy what feels like a really cold shower.

100% cotton bedding, crockery, pans & cutlery just about complete the package.

I know we are talking about India & let's be honest about it, value for money is a big part of the reason for going to Goa.

It would be interesting to hear how much people are paying and/or expect to pay for the facilities described above?

If you are expecting to pay a tenner a night for the above, then quite frankly I think you are "taking the piss" - but hey ho that's just my opinion.

H.
Not really taking the piss, as i said earlier in this thread, my friends rent a decent place, pool, security, all the above for 800 pn, for almost 6 months.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by noni
Beach friends have been renting privately there for approx £1000 per month for four months.
Expensive...
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
£1000 per month anywhere in India is obscenely overpriced, luxury or non luxury.
The cost of living in India and Goa is way below that in the UK and you can rent a four bedroomed home on a posh development in South East of England for that price - which is considered one of the more expensive areas in the UK!
I have no objection to paying a reasonable sum for good clean accomodation - but some of the prices quoted on here my friends is seriously taking the proverbial pxss !!!

Dread - x
Agreed 1000%.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:24 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Obscene or not Dread, prices way above £1000 exist in smart areas of the big cities. More like £5000 in best areas of Mumbai!!!

This has nothing to do with foreigners, a rel. when renting, was paying £900/month for a quite ordinary flat in Pune 6 years ago.
It could be because buying with a mortgage was more difficult in India. (This is now changing).

Goa is different, post 23 was describing high prices for filth and squalor in Betalbatim, I pointed out a good hotel there was only £1000/ month.
However if you are only willing to pay the lowest price you will get a hovel.
READ MY POST properly and you will see that your mast sentence was not necessary in response to my post !

Dread - x
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:35 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the prices quoted on here are ridiculously overinflated - think about it, even the nicest apartment or resort in Goa does not give you decent roads or clean beaches etc.
I doubt that anyone here minds paying a reasonable sum, but not more than the equivalent in the UK, bearing in mind the difference in property prices and cost of living.
It is one thing having to find that sort of money to fund a two week stay, but for those who tend to spend several months in Goa, the place is rapidly becoming unaffordable - unless of course you are happy to pay several hundred quid per month to stay in a hovel.

Maybe it's time to find a new destination for my winter home !!!

Dread - x
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

READ MY POST properly and you will see that your mast sentence was not necessary in response to my post !

Dread - x
Neither was the remark about Betalbatim, and the hotel; if you had read my post and previous posts you would have realised I was referring to the many previous posts about dirt, filth, cleaning etc, etc. (I actually gave you a post number).
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:02 pm

Neither was the remark about Betalbatim, and the hotel; if you had read my post and previous posts you would have realised I was referring to the many previous posts about dirt, filth, cleaning etc, etc. (I actually gave you a post number).
I didn't mention Betalbatim - and as you had pressed the 'quote' button to respond directly to my post - thereby having my post show in the box as that to which you were responding directly - I can only assume that your entire post was directed at me - which would make the last sentence of that response rather insulting and unnecessary to be honest - as it in no way reflected the comments I had made - namely 'I am happy to pay a reasonable price' (quote) which would rather suggest I am not looking to pay some pittance for a hovel as you put it.
When you post in response to several other posts, then please use the 'new reply' button rather than making it seem like a response directed at a single individual or single post - that way no misunderstandings will occur.

Thanks

Dread - x
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't mention Betalbatim - and as you had pressed the 'quote' button to respond directly to my post - thereby having my post show in the box as that to which you were responding directly - I can only assume that your entire post was directed at me - which would make the last sentence of that response rather insulting and unnecessary to be honest - as it in no way reflected the comments I had made - namely 'I am happy to pay a reasonable price' (quote) which would rather suggest I am not looking to pay some pittance for a hovel as you put it.
When you post in response to several other posts, then please use the 'new reply' button rather than making it seem like a response directed at a single individual or single post - that way no misunderstandings will occur.

Thanks

Dread - x
I assumed you had read the previous posts and quoting a post number might have given a clue.
There were several such posts above about paying the least amount and scrubbing with lysol etc. It did not occurr to me that you would have forgotten them or assume I was referring to you.

I could never imagine you staying in a hovel.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:36 pm

I assumed you had read the previous posts and quoting a post number might have given a clue.
There were several such posts above about paying the least amount and scrubbing with lysol etc. It did not occurr to me that you would have forgotten them or assume I was referring to you.

I could never imagine you staying in a hovel.
Yes Bipat I had read the other posts but you had quoted and replied to mine only - hence my advice to use 'new reply' in such circumstances !! Intent and effect and all that ........

Dread - x
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

£1000 per month anywhere in India is obscenely overpriced, luxury or non luxury.
The cost of living in India and Goa is way below that in the UK and you can rent a four bedroomed home on a posh development in South East of England for that price - which is considered one of the more expensive areas in the UK!
I have no objection to paying a reasonable sum for good clean accomodation - but some of the prices quoted on here my friends is seriously taking the proverbial pxss !!!

Dread - x
National Trust have just done up a farmhouse in the village where I live - 4 beds 4 baths I think - £3,500 a month. £1,000 a month will no longer get you much round here, a small three bed cottage if you're lucky, and this is the north-west not the south-east.

AndyD 8-)₹
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by a_f_d
National Trust have just done up a farmhouse in the village where I live - 4 beds 4 baths I think - £3,500 a month. £1,000 a month will no longer get you much round here, a small three bed cottage if you're lucky, and this is the north-west not the south-east.

AndyD 8-)₹
£2131 was our local National Trust Rectory for seven days according to the Guardian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.