Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-129F Fiance Visa (Proof of Relationship) Questions

I-129F Fiance Visa (Proof of Relationship) Questions

Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:55 am
Just Joined

dakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nicedakine48 is just really nice
Default I-129F Fiance Visa (Proof of Relationship) Questions

Hi everyone,

In submitting the initial K1 Visa forms, there is a requirement to show proof of an ongoing relationship. I was curious, do these all have to be original documents (besides photos) ? What I mean is, I have airline tickets and anniversary cards, Christmas cards , etc, but do these paper items have to be originals or can I photocopy them and submit them with my packet?

Secondly, on the I-129F form [Supplement: Part B Question 18] where you write down the circumstances under which you and your fiance have met, what is a good approach to writing this? What type of details should be included and are there any examples of this part that anyone has written out?

Thanks all so much!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:01 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-129F Fiance Visa (Proof of Relationship) Questions

Originally Posted by dakine48
Hi everyone,

In submitting the initial K1 Visa forms, there is a requirement to show proof of an ongoing relationship. I was curious, do these all have to be original documents (besides photos) ? What I mean is, I have airline tickets and anniversary cards, Christmas cards , etc, but do these paper items have to be originals or can I photocopy them and submit them with my packet?

Secondly, on the I-129F form [Supplement: Part B Question 18] where you write down the circumstances under which you and your fiance have met, what is a good approach to writing this? What type of details should be included and are there any examples of this part that anyone has written out?

Thanks all so much!
Hi,
Send photocopies. Your fiance(e)? should have the originals with him or her at the interview for the visa. Chances are if you are going through London they won't be required to show any of it, but are supposed to be able to produce it if asked for it. Also, just a tip----you are filling out the petition, which once approved, will allow your fiance to apply for a visa. Two separate steps.

As far as the circumstances regarding how you met, simply give a summary of your initial meeting----

my now husband and I met initially on the internet and first met in person when he visited me in the US in December of 2001. I would also draw attention to passport stamps documenting the trip if applicable, or draw attention to photos showing you together during the initial meeting.

Doesn't have to be a lengthy answer. Simply state the facts.

~SecretGarden
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakine48
Photocopies of documents and paper items are fine for the I-129F, even photos of you together can be copies. The originals should be sent to your fiance to bring to the K-1 interview.

Just a very simple note about how you met. For example, on ours I wrote "met in Turkey in 1997 while I was on vacation, met again in Turkey in 2001, got engaged in 2003".

Best Wishes,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 18th 2007 at 4:52 am.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:52 pm
Eric S.

Look at the instructions for the I-129F carefully. You are not requiered to
show proof of an ongoing relationship. You are only required to prove that
you have met in person within the last 2 years and that you are both legally
able to marry.

- Eric S.

"dakine48" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> In submitting the initial K1 Visa forms, there is a requirement to show
> proof of an ongoing relationship. I was curious, do these all have to
> be original documents (besides photos) ? What I mean is, I have airline
> tickets and anniversary cards, Christmas cards , etc, but do these paper
> items have to be originals or can I photocopy them and submit them with
> my packet?
>
> Secondly, on the I-129F form [Supplement: Part B Question 18] where you
> write down the circumstances under which you and your fiance have met,
> what is a good approach to writing this? What type of details should
> be included and are there any examples of this part that anyone has
> written out?
>
> Thanks all so much!
>
> --

Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:32 am
Redwood Girl

Eric S. wrote:

> Look at the instructions for the I-129F carefully. You are not requiered to
> show proof of an ongoing relationship. You are only required to prove that
> you have met in person within the last 2 years and that you are both legally
> able to marry.
>
> - Eric S.

I believe they are referring to where it says you should include "copies
of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent."
Some others have mentioned things like receipt for an engagement ring or
a letter from a clergy-person who will perform the ceremony. Granted,
"mutual intent" is not exactly the same thing as "ongoing relationship".

My fiance and I don't have this sort of stuff (you might call us
non-traditional...) so I am having to fall back two instances where I
mentioned him to immigration officials as my fiance, on my own Canadian
immigration application and an earlier visitor visa (so at least someone
official put it on record as me saying that, even if it doesn't "prove"
anything), and some official pre-printed stuff like papers from my
Ontario driver's license and health card, that at least demonstrate that
I was cohabiting with him. I really don't have anything else that
demonstrates our "mutual intent"... do you think this will be
sufficient? (We both felt a bit silly writing those one-sentence letters
saying "We're able to marry and intend to do it", but we did it anyway.)

--
. . . t r e e s h a d o w s . . .
You don't have to suffer to be a poet; adolescence is
enough suffering for anyone. (John Ciardi)

Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwood Girl
(We both felt a bit silly writing those one-sentence letters
saying "We're able to marry and intend to do it", but we did it anyway.)
Don't feel silly writing those. The letters of intent are part of the requirements for the I-129 package, and without them, it will be returned to you with an RFE requesting it.

Rene
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:05 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't feel silly writing those. The letters of intent are part of the requirements for the I-129 package, and without them, it will be returned to you with an RFE requesting it.

Rene
Here's a link to where I posted how we wrote our Statements of Intent for our I-129F petition. Feel free to use it as a foundation for your own letters:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=5

~ Jenney
Old Apr 21st 2007, 7:38 pm
J Moreno

In article <[email protected]>,
redwood girl <[email protected]> wrote:

> I believe they are referring to where it says you should include "copies
> of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent."

For us, I wrote a short statement, giving my name, her name and that I
legally able to marry and intended to do so within 90 days of her
arrival. Hers was the same with just the names reversed.

--
J. Moreno