Utility Costs

Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

nf87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utility Costs

Hi there,

My fiance and I are moving out to the Assen area in October and we are looking for an idea of the kind of utility bills we will be paying in the Netherlands. I assume that these will differ greatly depending on which area you live in.

In the UK we currently pay -
Council Tax
Gas
Electric
Phone/Internet
TV license
Home Insurance

We were wondering if anyone could inform us of the bills we would have to pay in the Netherlands, and roughly how much we would have to pay for 2 people living in a semi detached house.

Thanks!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:36 am
Just Joined

msnau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Utility Costs

Hi,

Typically you can expect to pay following:
Council tax - for garbage collection - E150 annually

Gas and Elec - about E95 per month - depending on usage etc

Water - about E100 annually
Phone/Internet - introductory offers can start from about E15 per month for the first year, rising to about E30 per month from second year.

No TV license costs. Cable TV costs around E15 per month for basic package.

Home insurance - depends on value of insured. I would suggest contacting a bank and getting a quote.

These are just estimates.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:21 am
Just Joined

nf87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

brummie girl is an unknown quantity at this point

we live in a semi (two adults) and pay 56 a month for Water and 153 a month for Gas/Elec
Old Sep 18th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

paul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nicepaul_bromsgrove is just really nice

Hi brummie girl,

I'm glad you said that - after reading msnau's numbers for gas and elec. I thought I was getting diddled! My costs are about the same as yours, 2 of us living in a semi too.

best wishes,

Paul
Old Sep 18th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Apologies, my numbers are for a family of 4.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

brummie girl is an unknown quantity at this point

wow! impressive numbers for a family of 4. Like to know how you do it! The amount we pay for Gas /Elec is after the recent reduction.. before that it was 184 a month..
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, that was a typo - should be E195
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

Haha, I was going to say! That did sound cheap!

We are with Nuon for both electricity and gas and until a few months ago were paying 235 euros per month. We thought this was super high. We moved into our house last November and Nuon said the figure has been based on the previous occupants, who were a family of 4. There are just two of us. So I explained this to them and said we would really not be using that much I am sure. So they agreed that we now pay 150 euros a month.
Even though the figure has been reduced, as we have paid almost a year of 235 euros a month I am sure we will get a big rebate at the end of the year. We are very energy conscious and 235 euros seems so ridiculous. So we'll see.. !
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

mishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nicemishimoto is just really nice

Let me also tell you what we pay for everything else...

Council Tax - 55 euros per month
Gas/Electric - 150 euros per month
Phone/Internet/tv - 30 euros per month for all three
Home Insurance - 14 euros per month (buildings and contents)

Its recommended you also get third party insurance (around 3 euros per month) but we haven't got round to this yet.

Other stuff we pay out for:

Life Insurance - 80 euros per month
Water - 17 euros per month
Health Insurance - 234 euros (for two of us) This insurance is compulsory but there are different levels you can take out. We have the basic package.