Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm so tired of living in 'Home of the slave'

Originally Posted by robin1234
Makes me want to come and live on the west coast! It is true, English weather is often bleak, but (it seems to me) easier to overcome the cold/damp with warm clothes than trying to do stuff outdoors when it is 90 degrees and humid, or -30F and near-zero humidity -- the types of wether conditions commonly met with by folks away from the west coast and the desert SW.
Interesting how what bothers people varies - I don't mind the hot, and don't mind bundling up in winter - but cold and damp makes me hide indoors.

What you're used to I suppose...
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me want to come and live on the west coast! It is true, English weather is often bleak, but (it seems to me) easier to overcome the cold/damp with warm clothes than trying to do stuff outdoors when it is 90 degrees and humid, or -30F and near-zero humidity -- the types of wether conditions commonly met with by folks away from the west coast and the desert SW.
I certainly would not want to live in 90% of the US, due to weather alone. Throw in the religion factor, and the redneck factor, and it goes up higher. Only San Deigo, coastal LA, and the Bay Area truly meet my criteria after much travelling around in the past 25 years. The one area I have yet to rule out is New Mexico ... I have made several visits to Santa Fe, and it's pretty darned attractive. It does get cold in winter, but I believe they have that kind of 'crisp cold' that I find preferable to the UK 'moist, damp cold'. Upper Arizona (Sedona, etc) may also be on the list. Anywhere 'out west' tends to have the enlightened, laid-back, non-redneck non-religious environment that I enjoy.

But to those who talk about going back permanently - just try it for a while and see how it feels. I just can't get over the 'negative' attitude that I sense the moment I walk through Heathrow.... that's enough to keep me here!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Please send some of that heat and humidity over here to the UK, the highs at the moment are around 60 We had summer a couple of weeks ago when it got to about 80 for a week. Other than that its overcast (looking like it will rain), rain, light rain, chucking it down rain and then overcast! It feels like Autumn/Winter to me!

To the OP, I would personally just deduct two weeks wages from my salary, budget on that and take the 2 weeks a year off unpaid. Sounds like you need a holiday!! If that doesnt work then go from there!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:27 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE-]I certainly would not want to live in 90% of the US, due to weather alone. Throw in the religion factor, and the redneck factor, and it goes up higher. Upper Arizona (Sedona, etc) may also be on the list. Anywhere 'out west' tends to have the enlightened, laid-back, non-redneck non-religious environment that I enjoy.

![/QUOTE

Yup. That may be a part of why I am tired of the States, the redneck factor, the hypocrisy of the religious zealots, combined with the lack of health care if and when I retire and the heat and humidity is enough to make me wanna leave. Oh not forgoing the fact that I also hate the attitude of most Virginians, (can't speak for the rest of the US) that America is THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD and the rest of the world either doesn't exist, or is only there because of America. The narrow mindedness never ceases to amaze me. They think they're the best at everything, their technology is better, their tv is better, their food is better, their cars are better, everything is better...and yet most of them have never ever left Virgniia.
At least Brits travel (mainly because we need to see the sun occasionally, ) but at least we TRY and see other countries for what they are,...even if we DO still expect to get fish and chips and the Sun newspaper....
I have never lived anywhere other than the Virginia area. I have travelled to other states but not lived in them. California is much more laid back, but still not England.
I am NOT looking forward to going back to the Brit weather, but then again the weather isn't the reason I stayed here so long either. Swings and roundabouts, if I am to uproot and move thousands of miles it is to go home and not to another part of the states although after being back with family for a while I may re think that....
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:09 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

![/QUOTE

Yup. That may be a part of why I am tired of the States, the redneck factor, the hypocrisy of the religious zealots, combined with the lack of health care if and when I retire and the heat and humidity is enough to make me wanna leave. Oh not forgoing the fact that I also hate the attitude of most Virginians, (can't speak for the rest of the US) that America is THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD and the rest of the world either doesn't exist, or is only there because of America. The narrow mindedness never ceases to amaze me. They think they're the best at everything, their technology is better, their tv is better, their food is better, their cars are better, everything is better...and yet most of them have never ever left Virgniia.
:[/QUOTE]

Amen to you! Same here in Georgia by far and large. I had one ex marine try to tell me the US was better than UK cos they had more than 2 TVs and then drilled me see how many Brits had?????
Why do they think this is important?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:38 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
![/QUOTE

:

I agree with the earlier poster 90% of this country would be appalling to live in. Some people deserve a medal.

Still I guess we all have options. That's the nice thing about the E.U.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:43 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I went through a period of frequent returns back to Europe, getting $600 round-trip tix in March/October, and got quite used to the jet-lag (but I quickly switched from London to Rome/Madrid for better weather/food!). it satisfied my yearnings for the old country, and reminded me of why I liked it here so much. I now bring my family over here to visit, quite often. This year, my mum has been out for 5 weeks, my nieces are coming out with their boyfriends, and my bro is probably going to visit too; I pitch in with airfare etc. I consider the missed family gatherings to be a blessing - I have the perfect excuse ... and I've only been home once at Christmas (1989) and it will be my last - I could not believe how cold and damp it was!

I'm no longer that impressed by endless sunshine, but - I do still get a buzz when I wake up and see a blue sky, and can pretty much walk out 300 days of the year without a jacket or fear of rain. The endless gray skies, the constant threat of rain ... the cold winds ... day after day ... that always shocks me when I go back. I just got done talking with two good friends back home; they both tell me how utterly miserable this 'summer' has been in England ...

The future here, taking healthcare into account, is the one big concern for me. I have enough money now to retire at ~50, but if I retire then I have to get private insurance to cover me till 65, and that could be a challenge if there were pre-existing conditions involved (which there aren't for me, but are for my pertner). However, the biggest reason for my happiness here is the general level of optimism and I am optimistic enough myself to believe that something will work out on the healthcare side. I suspect I'll stay sufficiently employed to keep group coverage, or some other solution. (please let's not turn this into a healthcare debate ... tracy ... )

LL - is your partner from the UK? Would she be willing to move back to UK? My partner is Asian and has no desire to leave this area whatsoever so even if I wanted to return, it would be near impossible.
Everyone is different, sounds like you have a pretty good deal worked out for yourself. My parents have been here twice in 21 years, that probably will not happen any time soon due to health issues. I have 3 sisters, no-one has visited in about 7 years. I used to visit regularly. I had a job where I used to visit the UK once or twice a year.
My wife is Finnish, she has no family here either, they visited once 20 years ago and have not been back although her younger brother visited about 4 years ago. At least I don't have to put up with the MIL as I never see her
I agree about the optimism, sometimes that can be refreshing however if you scratch the surface I have found all the positive attitude to be quite fake and phoney, usually with an ulterior motive attached and a great deal of competitiveness, a 'what's in it for me' approach in general. I find it refreshing to have some piss-taking, self-deprecating conversations when visiting the UK rather than the 'Have a nice day' 'Did you find everything you need' robotic homogony. Again I am generalizing, there is good and bad to most places in the world
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nick, I can appreciate your problems and issues with US employment and benefits. And that's saying a lot from an American point of view. Unfortunately, this is how things are here in the States. We are not content with it but do accept it because it is the norm. Not all professions have issues with holiday leave, sick time, benefits. For example, in my professional I have 4 weeks vac, 12 sick/personal, benefits (at a price) and disability insurance if I am laid up for a long period of time.

Since you virtually work for yourself, you either have to start saving money (I know a wet dream right?) to cover your time off and pay your health insurance and/or have the wife work and go under her healthcare benefits and you save up for those holidays you want to take while working contractually.

Employment in the states have changed so radically since I started working 44 years ago. Back then there was employer/employee loyality. There was give and take between the two and when crisises arose they worked together for the benefit of both. I've been with the same attorney now for 21 years this December and it is a give and take between us that allows us to work well together and compensate for needs that arise in life.

Why did things change? I'm not sure but it is not there today for the young workers and more the pity because both sides lose.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:13 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Everyone is different, sounds like you have a pretty good deal worked out for yourself. My parents have been here twice in 21 years, that probably will not happen any time soon due to health issues. I have 3 sisters, no-one has visited in about 7 years. I used to visit regularly. I had a job where I used to visit the UK once or twice a year.
My wife is Finnish, she has no family here either, they visited once 20 years ago and have not been back although her younger brother visited about 4 years ago. At least I don't have to put up with the MIL as I never see her
I agree about the optimism, sometimes that can be refreshing however if you scratch the surface I have found all the positive attitude to be quite fake and phoney, usually with an ulterior motive attached and a great deal of competitiveness, a 'what's in it for me' approach in general. I find it refreshing to have some piss-taking, self-deprecating conversations when visiting the UK rather than the 'Have a nice day' 'Did you find everything you need' robotic homogony. Again I am generalizing, there is good and bad to most places in the world
I agree, the self-deprecation and banter is a bit more genuine and fun back home. We should have it as an Olympic event in 2012 instead of bloody beach volley ball...or of course, whippets.

A lot of the have-a-nice dayism, sadly results from a desperate fishing for tips. The tip culture here is knobby, its not even merit related - just a decency tax: If some capitalistic scrouge paid their staff decently, there would be less need to feel obliged to subsidize some hapless sod's healthcare.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:18 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
I had a job interview last month. They offered me a job paying $19 bucks per hour which is not that great when you have a mortgage. Also, they guy offered me 10 days vacation a year after the first 6 months of probabtion period.
So.................... Are you going to take the job? Ten days/year to start is better than 3 days/year.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
I agree, the self-deprecation and banter is a bit more genuine and fun back home. We should have it as an Olympic event in 2012 instead of bloody beach volley ball...or of course, whippets.

A lot of the have-a-nice dayism, sadly results from a desperate fishing for tips. The tip culture here is knobby, its not even merit related - just a decency tax: If some capitalistic scrouge paid their staff decently, there would be less need to feel obliged to subsidize some hapless sod's healthcare.
This is a tough one ... it's easy to take a cheap shot at 'have a nice day'. Sometimes there is just too much forced friendliness - not just 'tip fishing' but also, corporate pressure on sales associates to present a uniform greeting style.

Some companies put me off with overly lengthy intro's on the phone, such as "It's a beautiful day at the Hampton Inn, where guests are always number one. How may I direct your call? " Now that's total bullshit. Crappy chain dining spots such as "Applebees" and "Olive Garden" also have a 'greeting' formula, and I hate hearing "Hi I'm Cindy and I'm going to be your server tonight".

But overall, I feel that people here are genuine in their friendliness, and are genuinely more upbeat about life, which shows in their basic interaction with others.

More generally, I guess I prefer to be surrounded, on the whole, by cheerful smiling people rather than cynical, negative people, in the same way I prefer to see the sun shining rather than rain, even if I'm inside. It's fun sometimes to hear the cynical banter of the Brits, just like it's fun sometimes to see a big thunderstorm ... but what do you want to hear on a Monday morning, when you are tired and have a hangover ...
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:14 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

This is a tough one ... it's easy to take a cheap shot at 'have a nice day'. Sometimes there is just too much forced friendliness - not just 'tip fishing' but also, corporate pressure on sales associates to present a uniform greeting style.

Some companies put me off with overly lengthy intro's on the phone, such as "It's a beautiful day at the Hampton Inn, where guests are always number one. How may I direct your call? " Now that's total bullshit. Crappy chain dining spots such as "Applebees" and "Olive Garden" also have a 'greeting' formula, and I hate hearing "Hi I'm Cindy and I'm going to be your server tonight".

But overall, I feel that people here are genuine in their friendliness, and are genuinely more upbeat about life, which shows in their basic interaction with others.

More generally, I guess I prefer to be surrounded, on the whole, by cheerful smiling people rather than cynical, negative people, in the same way I prefer to see the sun shining rather than rain, even if I'm inside. It's fun sometimes to hear the cynical banter of the Brits, just like it's fun sometimes to see a big thunderstorm ... but what do you want to hear on a Monday morning, when you are tired and have a hangover ...
Mrs tonrob once worked for a hotel chain - different to the one that you quoted but same bollox telephone-answering mandate. Needless to say, she refused to use it. Ended up getting fired - just not specifically for that. She's the kind who will speak her mind on most subjects and try to do what she sees as right despite what the official rule says - and I don't think employers always appreciate those kinds of qualities in an employee...
Old Aug 17th 2008, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
Mrs tonrob once worked for a hotel chain - different to the one that you quoted but same bollox telephone-answering mandate. Needless to say, she refused to use it. Ended up getting fired - just not specifically for that. She's the kind who will speak her mind on most subjects and try to do what she sees as right despite what the official rule says - and I don't think employers always appreciate those kinds of qualities in an employee...
Good for Mrs Tonrob!! Tell me the chain and I'll boycott it! This past week I had to call a company 'Premiere Global' for some service. I got an automated response that was so 'falsely cheerful' and 'perky' and 'upbeat', and incredibly long-winded, that I stayed on the line just to let them know how ridiculous it was. Their website is such a mess that I can't find the number right now - I was going to post it here as an example of the worst greeting ever!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking on the relatively superficial level, interacting with folks at the checkout, on the phone, in the street, I find the British generally more helpful and genuinely friendly than Americans. I just don't see this cynicism and negativity that you mention. I think part of it is, they are not forced into the robotic greeting formula, because employees in the UK are maybe a bit more autonomous and less afraid for their jobs than Americans.

An example - you're checking out your groceries in Tesco's or Waitrose. You can have a brief conversation about the weather or whatever, but it is a genuine interaction. Here, I sometimes sense a surliness & resentment under the robotic greetings -- certainly no invitation to exchange a few friendly words.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Talking on the relatively superficial level, interacting with folks at the checkout, on the phone, in the street, I find the British generally more helpful and genuinely friendly than Americans. I just don't see this cynicism and negativity that you mention. I think part of it is, they are not forced into the robotic greeting formula, because employees in the UK are maybe a bit more autonomous and less afraid for their jobs than Americans.

An example - you're checking out your groceries in Tesco's or Waitrose. You can have a brief conversation about the weather or whatever, but it is a genuine interaction. Here, I sometimes sense a surliness & resentment under the robotic greetings -- certainly no invitation to exchange a few friendly words.
Dunno - I chat with store clerks etc. all the time.

Like so many things about the US - it's a big place, depends where you are.

I had tremendous difficulty with some things over the phone to the UK (after I could ever get past the automated phone systems that didn't understand my accent ) - they were exquisetly polite, and "oh I am so sorry" - but in the end, utterly unhelpful at the same time.

Not everyone of course, I've had the opposite experience as well - for example, the fellow I booked Keith's hotel with in London was lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.