Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Nigerian arrested in UK

Nigerian arrested in UK

Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

puppydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nigerian arrested in UK

My daughter is due to marry her fiance in the UK on Oct 1 - the wedding has been planned for months. thousands has been spent, guests arriving from abroad, church booked, etc etc. Fiance arrested 2 days ago - as far as we can gather at this point when they registered their wedding, they reported him to immigration. He is in a cell in Leamington, daughter desperate, father trying to sort things out - has lawyer who is approaching situation via human rights - does anyone have any input, ideas, suggestions- anything please?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nigerian arrested in UK

what do the Police say?
they are unlikely to hold him without a reason.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

puppydog is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a lawyer now who says that there are two choices, he can either stay and fight it, and if he loses he cannot come back to UK for at least 10 years or he goes back voluntarily but risks not getting a visa at all. In answer to your question, I had understood that they are saying he is in the UK illegally but the immigration took his visa away a year ago and he has official papers to say as long as he lives with my daughter, does not work, does not go back to Uni, basically do nothing for a specified period (cant recall what that was) it was okay. None of this makes sense
Old Sep 8th 2011, 5:45 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds more like a UK problem than an African one...maybe post in the UK threads as this is related to UK immigration and see if anyone there can help. Good luck.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppydog
I had understood that they are saying he is in the UK illegally but the immigration took his visa away a year ago and he has official papers to say as long as he lives with my daughter, does not work, does not go back to Uni, basically do nothing for a specified period (cant recall what that was) it was okay. None of this makes sense
I am biting my fingers.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppydog
does anyone have any input, ideas, suggestions- anything please?
I am pretty sure that if he decided to leave the UK, no obstacles would be put in his way.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
I am pretty sure that if he decided to leave the UK, no obstacles would be put in his way.

but wahat about his yuman rights...... seriously tho OP - maybe you just don't know the whole story yet? why would they take away his papers??? I'm fascinated- do tell us the outcome...
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:17 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
I think the UK may have changed since you were last there. He will be given a house, job, benefits and the like....
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ededed
I think the UK may have changed since you were last there. He will be given a house, job, benefits and the like....
For some very good reasons.
The OP's Future son-in-law may be a fine upstanding young man, however, a myriad of OTHER Nigerians have created enough havoc as illegals to create a precedent.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Daxk
For some very good reasons.
The OP's Future son-in-law may be a fine upstanding young man, however, a myriad of OTHER Nigerians have created enough havoc as illegals to create a precedent.
As opposed to a myriad of Kenyans who created a president?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Huh?? sorry bud, you have lost me.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

What does Kenya have to do with this? Interesting to note how the UK press adore Moh for winning the 5000m gold medal and yet he is of Somali origin. Africans are criticised by the media only when it suits them. As regards the topic of this thread, one wonders if the detained Nigerian may be on some blacklist rather than simply held over possible immigration irregularities. Perhaps he has been married before?
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

What intrigues me is that he got locked up.
in other words, even if its because of expired Visa irregulatities, he is considered a sufficient flight risk to keep him locked up.
To me, it has very little to do with Race,however, if my daughter was marrying someone who was going to be living off her and not working, I would probably phone immigration myself!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Daxk
Huh?? sorry bud, you have lost me.
ededed is referring to Obama.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Woosh!! thanks, went right over my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.