Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Would you have??

View Poll Results: Would you still emigrate knowing what you know now?
Yes
72.22%
No
27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Would you have??

Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:16 pm
Glaswegian

Default Would you have??

This is a question for members who have settled in Canada and don't plan to go back "home".

If before emigrating, you knew what you now know about life as an immigrant in Canada, would you still have done it?

Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

glasnidouglas is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived for 5 years in BC, when I first landed I had no intentions of returning to the UK even though I had terrible homesickness for the first couple of years. However, after several years and putting my life into serious perspective I decided that family and friends were more important to me than fantastic scenery etc that is abundant in BC. My family whole-heartedly agreed (hubby and 2 adult children) and we returned to the UK last year. It is difficult getting back into the 'swing' of things' but I do not regret it for one second. I'm not saying the UK is perfect by any means but we must decide what is right for us personally. I think the UK has much more to offer than what we realise - and we are so close to the continent for cheap holidays - unlike Vancouver where taking a holiday is much too expensive. I think emigrating is something personal and you must decide for yourself as we are all different and want different things for ourselves. Good luck in what you decide, but If I were to do it again I'm not sure that I would have gone through the up-heavel etc.
Glasni
Old Jun 28th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: Would you have??

In answer to your question, probably not. So far it's just under a year since we moved. We were under no illusions of it being easy and expected it to be extremely difficult. It was and then some.

But now we are here and have been through what we have I can't see us going back.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 9:04 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Glaswegian
This is a question for members who have settled in Canada and don't plan to go back "home".

If before emigrating, you knew what you now know about life as an immigrant in Canada, would you still have done it?

I'd still come, but boy we'd have done things differently. The eighteen months were such a struggle And financially it was a daft move.

But for quality of life for my family - I am so pleased I made the move

Clare
Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

LadyTyger will become famous soon enough

I've been here a little over 2 years and yes, homesickness is dreadful at times but I believe I made the right choice.

Maybe I should come back to this poll after I get PR and -fingers crossed- working and been here a little longer

Life's about taking risks but I know at times there's a big penalty to pay for that in terms of employment, housing, etc.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Glaswegian

Definately not going back...no matter what happens. Personally had I known what life was like here I would have done it 20 years earlier (this old girl is 42 ) and I suspect so would hubby. If things dont work out (and I can't see that happening) then we will go anywhere other than the UK probably NZ or mainland Europe.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 4:58 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been interesting for me - I'm not as impressed with Canada like some other people are, but the life experience is worth plenty. I tend to see things as they are, rather than what people tell me they are.

Best country I have lived in so far would be Cyprus - hot, laid back, cheap, and the most interesting job interview I ever had. Big Greek meal and plenty of beer with the 4 directors, followed by 'when can you start'. Getting an apartment was a similar experience - we just had to impress the landlady by talking about life in the UK. Loved it - people who take you at face value - not credit checks or pieces of paper.

I'd still be there if my wife could handle the 40oC+ temp.

As for going back to UK - yes I'd do that too.