Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Keeping food frozen in a cooler - how long?

Keeping food frozen in a cooler - how long?

Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Keeping food frozen in a cooler - how long?

We're taking the kids to Orlando next month and I don't want to cook every night and we don't plan on eating out much so I wanted to take some meals that I would make and freeze at home beforehand.

Here are the details, we will travel approx 12 hours the first day and stay in a hotel overnight (I will take the cooler into the room), next day we will get to Orlando in the morning and I assume get into our condo after lunch.

If I pack a cooler with ice and already frozen food do you think that I can keep it frozen all that time until we get into the accommodation the next day?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping food frozen in a cooler - how long?

Over a 2 day period, there will likely be some thawing. If you want to be assured that it is frozen when you arrive, pack it with about 10-20 lbs of dry ice in a closed styrofoam container before you leave. Make sure everything is wrapped so that it doesn't come in contact with the dry ice.

If you don't freeze the precooked foods but only refrigerate the foods, then normal ice with water would probably be ok and then freeze the foods when you get there. Just add ice at your stop to keep things cold.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 12th 2012 at 4:02 am.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be wary of what exactly you're taking - raw chicken for example might not be too healthy after a period in non-freezer temperatures. But your prepared food might be. Pack tightly as much as possible, raw at the bottom, cooked above. Bigger blocks of ice are better than small ice cubes. Try not to open it: if you need to, put the things you're likely to need on top.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:21 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the temperature outside the cooler will play a part in this too - i.e. temperature inside the car, inside the motel room etc.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:22 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

They make plug-in coolers for the car. Basically a small powered fridge for your car. Might be an option.

http://www.nextag.com/car-plug-in-cooler/products-html
Old Apr 12th 2012, 11:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
They make plug-in coolers for the car. Basically a small powered fridge for your car. Might be an option.

http://www.nextag.com/car-plug-in-cooler/products-html
We have a plug in cooler...it works quite well. I usually put frozen ice packs in the cooler...it helps to bring the temp down when you switch it on.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 12th 2012 at 12:49 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
If I pack a cooler with ice and already frozen food do you think that I can keep it frozen all that time until we get into the accommodation the next day?
Hubby does this all the time when he visits me in NY and takes home his frozen meals that I've prepared for him when he returns to Hattiesburg. He never has a problem using the freezer paks and ice from the hotel/motel machine. It takes him 3 days to get home. Still frozen when he gets to his place.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hubby does this all the time when he visits me in NY and takes home his frozen meals that I've prepared for him when he returns to Hattiesburg. He never has a problem using the freezer paks and ice from the hotel/motel machine. It takes him 3 days to get home. Still frozen when he gets to his place.
That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. A friend suggested filling ziplock bags and freezing them to make larger blocks of ice, that should keep things better than just cubes or small ice packs.

We are planning to stay in a Residence Inn the first night,it has a small kitchen but I don't know if there is a freezer compartment in the fridge, if there is I could transfer stuff in there till the morning which would help a lot.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. A friend suggested filling ziplock bags and freezing them to make larger blocks of ice, that should keep things better than just cubes or small ice packs.

We are planning to stay in a Residence Inn the first night,it has a small kitchen but I don't know if there is a freezer compartment in the fridge, if there is I could transfer stuff in there till the morning which would help a lot.
Call the Residence Inn and ask them. I prefer to use the freezer gel packs rather than ice for two reasons...they tend stay frozen longer...and I don't like water everywhere when the ice melts. Ziplock bags aren't watertight but they will help to contain the water after the ice has melted.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Call the Residence Inn and ask them. I prefer to use the freezer gel packs rather than ice for two reasons...they tend stay frozen longer...and I don't like water everywhere when the ice melts. Ziplock bags aren't watertight but they will help to contain the water after the ice has melted.
Just called and they do have a freezer bit on the top of the fridge, so I can put everything in there till morning, hooray!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Just called and they do have a freezer bit on the top of the fridge, so I can put everything in there till morning, hooray!
They're full size fidges, roughly about 70% fridge and 30% freezer - so you can get a fair amount in there.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
They're full size fidges, roughly about 70% fridge and 30% freezer - so you can get a fair amount in there.
I'll need to get organized and plan ahead, I think I can take a couple of coolers of ready made meals. I freeze them flat in ziplocks, then I can get a lot more in the freezer.

We're going to do the Disney thing, and so I *really* don't want to spend hours in the kitchen prepping food.
My son and I are gluten and dairy free so I'll have to pack lunches and snacks to take as it is, doing dinner every day as well is not going to add the vacation!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the cooler should be fine with the ice packs - but if you have a freezer - good deal. I found this on packing a cooler

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/tionpayoco.html

I've also received frozen good that have been shipped overnight - packed in a cooler with ice packs and they are still frozen when received. Just remember to tightly pack everything.

Enjoy Disney!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If the cooler has a drain plug at the bottom and you're not to worried about weight...fill the base with ice, then food, then pour more ice around it and then fill the cooler with water, it'll help insulate the gaps and the stuff will stay frozen for days...
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If the cooler has a drain plug at the bottom and you're not to worried about weight...fill the base with ice, then food, then pour more ice around it and then fill the cooler with water, it'll help insulate the gaps and the stuff will stay frozen for days...
I disagree. Water is above freezing so the food will thaw and packing it with only ice can't keep the food frozen as the ice melts. As the temperature surrounding the food rises above freezing, the food will thaw. Although thawing may only be minor, it shouldn't be refrozen again since the food has already been damaged and refreezing damaged food, damages the food more.

If packing food with ice or ice and water would keep food frozen, then it should also freeze beer and soda and it just doesn't do that. Therefore I suggest that she not freeze the prepared food and pack it with ice and then put it in the freezer when she arrives. In this case, no damage should occur with the food. Of course that means she should prepare the food during the last couple of days since refrigeration can typically keep food fresh for a week or more.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 12th 2012 at 9:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.