Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transferring money FROM Spain TO UK.

Transferring money FROM Spain TO UK.

Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:21 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money FROM Spain TO UK.

Originally Posted by jdr
Boy, you have a bad attitude. chill out a bit.
Gee, I thought I was. I put a nice flowery spin on the entire debate, and even admitted I had no basis for my obviously unfounded retort.

Isn't that what you wanted?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Oh, I suppose you're right. I should be banned for that.

There obviously is no evidence to support any problems with the Euro. Sorry, I just made all that up.

In fact David Cameron can't decide whether the Euro will collapse:
Do you take offence at someone asking a reasonable serious question???
Why mention banning? Chill

I didnt say there werent problems with the euro, but on the other hand there are those in powerful places that dont want it to collapse
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved back to the UK, we had our Spanish bank send over the bulk of our money to our UK accounts, then the day before we left we took out the rest in Euros and closed the accounts. Then all we had to do was put the Euros we had left into our UK account, had to do it in 2 lots as there is a daily limit to putting Euros, in cash, into a UK account.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
With the two we have in power at the moment I wouldnt be surprised if we changed to the Uzbekistani Som!
Just how did you know that? - I thought I was the only one it was leaked to
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:31 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
When we moved back to the UK, we had our Spanish bank send over the bulk of our money to our UK accounts, then the day before we left we took out the rest in Euros and closed the accounts. Then all we had to do was put the Euros we had left into our UK account, had to do it in 2 lots as there is a daily limit to putting Euros, in cash, into a UK account.
Thanks, did the bank transfer cost much?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Is n't there a limit of how much CASH can be carried over borders?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As long as you have proof of where it came from and where it`s going I think it is ok.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

There is but dont know where to locate a link to info. People with cash are challenged and the border guards require proof of where the cash has orginated from or it is confiscated.

I recently watched a TV border programme where someone was stopped when carrying 1,000 pounds (I had previously thought it was 12K).

Anyhow anyone thinking of secreting anything on a woman passing through Valencia airport..... dont. The female guard who pats women down gets in everywhere.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Thanks, did the bank transfer cost much?
Can't remember, it was all handled by our bank, we just gave them the IBAN number of the account. We took about €800 in cash back with us, so no problem with that, bank would only accept €600 in a single deposit without a lot of form filling, so at their suggestion we did it on 2 days.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:03 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember, it was all handled by our bank, we just gave them the IBAN number of the account. We took about €800 in cash back with us, so no problem with that, bank would only accept €600 in a single deposit without a lot of form filling, so at their suggestion we did it on 2 days.
Thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:13 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be anything under €10K needn't be declared.
I don't know if that has changed.

Somebody said something about 1000 pounds in cash (being confiscated?). For what? I can't believe it's illegal to have 1000 pounds in your purse. I think some customs officer just got a new flat screen TV is all.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:29 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
It used to be anything under €10K needn't be declared.
I don't know if that has changed

Somebody said something about 1000 pounds in cash (being confiscated?). For what? I can't believe it's illegal to have 1000 pounds in your purse. I think some customs officer just got a new flat screen TV is all.

It seems to be that it has not changed, of course proof may be needed as to where it came from.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...heUK/DG_173289
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
It seems to be that it has not changed, of course proof may be needed as to where it came from.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...heUK/DG_173289
Interestingly that website mentions only declaring 10K when entering or leaving the UK for a NON EU Country.

However, I am sure Ive seen notices at Valencia Airport stating passengers have to declare sums in excess of 6K Euros but have never read them to know if that was for travelling within or outside the EU.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you have euro notes to change in UK, I would suggest using a currency exchange shop rather than depositing into your bank. You will get a better rate. Over circa 5,000€ you may need to show evidence where the funds came from to satisfy money laundering regulations. Some banks may have their own regulations.

Last edited by missile; Nov 30th 2011 at 3:01 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Always use currencyfair to transfer money now.

Great rates at hugely lower costs than ALL the alternatives.