Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

It all sounds a bit fishy to me. And the abandonment of PR status is a pretty big deal. You need to make sure you're not out the country too long.
Exactly how long do you need to work with the agency before they release you? Bearing in mind that the employer sponsors you to obtain the GC, but once you have the card you are a free agent?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I would probably file the form saying I'd lost my GC and get a new one issued to my overseas address. Heh. I don't see how it's legal for them to hold them hostage either.
Back on page 2, I had to click your post augigi---that was my first thought too--these are documents which can be replaced!

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Good point actually, but we obviously have the visa stamped in the PP with PoE stamp etc isnt that's all is req'd.
You betcha.. the endorsed visa is 'the same' as a Green Card---but only for the first one year! Check your expiration dates.

Originally Posted by Ray
But I would remember the rule ..you must carry your GC card at all
times ..a sheriff will gladly recover it to ensure you follow the law..
The rule is that they must carry evidence of their PR status. The stamped visa in the pp does that.
Additionally, the fine is, IIRC, $100, and no sheriff will be able to fine or enforce that. It's none of their business.

Dogbyte, I would encourage you to do some serious thinking on this.

Another solution would be to come to the US, set up where you want to be and notify the agency. Tell them where you are and that you'll be happy to look at working for them when they've got a position that is acceptable to YOU.
You two have a limited amount of time to stake your claim here, or it all goes out the window anyway. You can do this and get what you want and still be morally up and up with the agency.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Additionally, the fine is, IIRC, $100, .
You have a legal duty carry your green card with you at all times. Failure to do so is a criminal offense punishable by 30 days imprisonment, a fine of up to $100, or both.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this person is for real. If you had a gc would you be sitting on your arse in England?

Having looked through other threads, if he acts as if England is still in the 1950's movie set.

The only other reason I can think of that makes them stay with this agency if it is for real, is that Dogbyte has been paying for their services.

Apart from the lottery, how do you get a GC without having actually lived and worked here?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
I don't think this person is for real. If you had a gc would you be sitting on your arse in England?

Having looked through other threads, if he acts as if England is still in the 1950's movie set.

The only other reason I can think of that makes them stay with this agency if it is for real, is that Dogbyte has been paying for their services.

Apart from the lottery, how do you get a GC without having actually lived and worked here?
Your education is sadly lacking .... as is your judge of people ...

Last edited by Ray; Feb 7th 2008 at 8:01 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage, military service....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Your education is sadly lacking .... as is your judge of people ...
why do you say that?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Marriage, military service....
I meant under normal circumstances, as this guy.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I meant under normal circumstances, as this guy.
Why don't you ask him, with polite curiosity, instead of blasting him in the 3rd person?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why don't you ask him, with polite curiosity, instead of blasting him in the 3rd person?

how did I blast him? I am just suspious of the agency, not actually him.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
You have a legal duty carry your green card with you at all times. Failure to do so is a criminal offense punishable by 30 days imprisonment, a fine of up to $100, or both.
btw, that is not what the officer told DH & self as he removed the Green Card from our possession.

Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:31 pm

how did I blast him? I am just suspious of the agency, not actually him.
You said "I don't think this person is for real. If you had a gc would you be sitting on your arse in England?"

If you have a question, he's here in the conversation. Ask him directly.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:33 pm
Ray

btw, that is not what the officer told DH & self as he removed the Green Card from our possession.
Well we know how much they know
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

In reply to a certain poster Yes, I am for 'real' in a real life situation, not of our making.
I am about to ask to have this thread closed by the Moderator on the basis that I entered my original comment as to be helpful to the original OP.

It now seems because I have been a little too open over certain proceedures employed by my wife's nursing agency that I am being castigated over the circumstances in which we find ourselves.Many of the comments are respected for giving honest advice to assist us but you have to understand that we do not have your experience in the USA,we reply on what the proceedures the agency dictates to us.
As far as the Green cards issue, we entered the USA in November 07 with a valid visa issued in July 07.
Due to our work contract being with the agency, who apart, from not currently having a job available, have been, upfront and imformative about the whole process.I have no doubts that on arrival, finally, in the US to commence the job, that their system will, immediately provide us with our documents.(have already supplied copies, as soon as they received them)They are in fact, acting as a post box. I would point out that at no time, have they ever refused or imtimated that we are held to ransom in any way. There are points which other posters have given have given cause for thought aswell as concern, which in turn will be raised.
Finally, whilst we are waiting, frustrated granted,I have nothing bad to say about the proceedures we have been through with our company.

I apologise to the OP for 'unwittingly taking'over his request for information,
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
InFinally, whilst we are waiting, frustrated granted,I have nothing bad to say about the proceedures we have been through with our company.

I apologise to the OP for 'unwittingly taking'over his request for information,
Yere!! but it livened up the day ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.