Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!! Midwife wanting to move to USA..

Originally Posted by Ray
Exactly ....
here's todays list of Jobs there ..

http://www.rmchealth.com/CPM/BP.htm

Tell the agency to sod off ...
If only we could but $$$$$$$ if we did.So we have to behave !.and wait.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Because we are with a nursing agency who arranged a job last year which 4 months later fell through.We are now awaiting another job suitable to us in states(4) which we requested.
This question may make me seem like an idiot (well, what else is new lately)... but if you have a GC, why are you still bothering with an agency? Why not go to the US, get a job and let the chips fall where they may? One of the benefits of a GC is that you can live and work in the US... and even an agency can't stop you from doing that. Perhaps you fear that they'll sue you to recover the fess they spent... well, let them. They'll have a difficult time trying to collect when you're living in the US!

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If only we could but $$$$$$$ if we did.So we have to behave !.and wait.
Bullshit ..they have failed in their side of the contract ..
its time to say goodbye ..let them sue ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:56 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This question may make me seem like an idiot (well, what else is new lately)... but if you have a GC, why are you still bothering with an agency? Why not go to the US, get a job and let the chips fall where they may? One of the benefits of a GC is that you can live and work in the US... and even an agency can't stop you from doing that. Perhaps you fear that they'll sue you to recover the fess they spent... well, let them. They'll have a difficult time trying to collect when you're living in the US!

Ian
I'll be an idiot with you because I thought the same.
Why not come over and find a job because with your GC you are a free agent.There may be jobs in nursing being advertised locally that the agency doesn't know about.
We seem to have tons of them in our local paper (although "here" might be a bit chilly for you).
Being on the spot to apply might give you an advantage.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Certainly not an idiot for the suggestion. The problem is they hold our GC's & SS cards in their offices 5000 miles from us,which they will give us when we arrive out there to take up a position. Its a problem we face in dealing with agencies when nurses want to work out in the US.I wont aire my frustrations on here but believe me its going on a bit toooo long.But what can you do,over barrel comes to mind.!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Agencies generally have a large get-out fee if you break the contract. I think one had one of about $40,000 USD.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:00 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not an idiot for the suggestion. The problem is they hold our GC's & SS cards in their offices 5000 miles from us,which they will give us when we arrive out there to take up a position. Its a problem we face in dealing with agencies when nurses want to work out in the US.I wont aire my frustrations on here but believe me its going on a bit toooo long.But what can you do,over barrel comes to mind.!
But aren't they your green cards issued to you. Surely they have no right to keep them.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What ...they can't do that ..go get them ...
or have them ship them to me ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:01 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by augigi
Agencies generally have a large get-out fee if you break the contract. I think one had one of about $40,000 USD.
Work both ways ..they failed ..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nail...... head correct !!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:04 pm
Ray

Let them sue ...They could recover the actual costs to them if they were really lucky .. maybe $3 to 5K ...

Never heard of a court case yet though ...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:05 pm
Who?

Can your wife take a job and then leave after 6 months. Then you can head into the sunset clutching those green cards.

How long are your green cards valid if you are not in the country, how long can the agency reasonably be allowed to find a job?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Work both ways ..they failed ..
How do you know they failed? Perhaps their contract doesn't have a time limit for when the employee will start working. I know they certainly don't guarantee particular states, only that you'll get "a job". If you turn some down and hold out for the states you want, it's up to to you.

I would probably file the form saying I'd lost my GC and get a new one issued to my overseas address. Heh. I don't see how it's legal for them to hold them hostage either.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:09 pm
Ray

How do you know they failed? Perhaps their contract doesn't have a time limit for when the employee will start working. I know they certainly don't guarantee particular states, only that you'll get "a job". If you turn some down and hold out for the states you want, it's up to to you.

I would probably file the form saying I'd lost my GC and get a new one issued to my overseas address. Heh. I don't see how it's legal for them to hold them hostage either.
In fact there may be a case against them for obtaining the GC ..without a job being actually firm ... the agency could be in a heap of trouble ..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whilst I accept what everyone has said, the thing to remember is that we are under contract to them because they paid for all the organization of getting the green cards including costs associated with the immigration etc etc which includes the condition of employment from them so we are bound to them on that basis.Criticize us if you like, but as we are old fashioned we wont back out of our responsiblies, but just complain and whinge as we British do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.