Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:22 am
Just Joined

jakubmina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Hi,

I am 22, going to my final year of uni in September and as much as I love living in the UK, I don't feel like there's much of a future for me here.

I moved here in 2011 from the Czech Republic. The degree that I study here is a sandwich degree, which means that in your third year you find yourself a 12 month placement that is relevant to your study area. Whilst finding an unskilled job to help fund my studies hasn't been particularly difficult over here, securing a placement has proven to be impossible if you're not British.

I thought I had a good few things on my CV to make me stand out (e.g. volunteering, semester abroad). I applied for about a hundred placements and only managed to get one interview, whilst all my British friends seemed to be doing so well and eventually got a placement after going for a few interviews. I wasn't even being invited for interviews. Employers seemed to be interested in me, but as soon as they found out that I'm not British, they turned their backs on me.

I feel like I will have more of a chance of succeeding in Canada as it is a country that is build on immigration and prides itself on being welcoming and multicultural. Whilst the UK is also very multicultural, everything here is still massively geared towards the British. I do enjoy living in the UK, but I feel like my British friends here will always do better than me no matter how hard I try and I can't have my confidence shattered again after I graduate and start looking for a skilled job.

I am planning on coming to Canada on an EIC and hopefully find a company that is willing to sponsor me and eventually apply for a permanent residence. I know it may be difficult, but I feel like I have to try it.

Can someone give me advice or share some thoughts? Anything will help.

Regards,

Jakub
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

I assume you are a citizen of the Czech Republic and they are only allocated 1000 places on the IEC. Are you a citizen of any other country?
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

IEC is the best way for you at your age.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I assume you are a citizen of the Czech Republic and they are only allocated 1000 places on the IEC. Are you a citizen of any other country?
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

IEC is the best way for you at your age.
Hi,

Thanks for your comment. I am not looking for immigration advice as I have already figured out that IEC is the best option for me.

I'm looking for more of a guidance. How to start off as a fresh graduate in Canada? Which city am I most likely to land some marketing experience? Has anyone used the services of a temp agency before?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:22 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakubmina
How to start off as a fresh graduate in Canada? Which city am I most likely to land some marketing experience? Has anyone used the services of a temp agency before?
Is that what your education is in, marketing? What degree are you taking?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caretaker
Is that what your education is in, marketing? What degree are you taking?
I'm doing BA (Hons) Marketing Management. Are British degrees accepted by Canadian employers?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I assume you are a citizen of the Czech Republic and they are only allocated 1000 places on the IEC.
'Only' ? The Czech Republic gets 15% more IEC places than the UK (per head of population).
Old Apr 19th 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing BA (Hons) Marketing Management. Are British degrees accepted by Canadian employers?

Yes, they are.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:32 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Many people say that Canadians like to employ people with Canadian experience. I find it odd that you came across this in the UK as I have never come across such discrimination in the UK, we employed people from many countries. Presumably your work permits etc were all in order?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I am 22, going to my final year of uni in September and as much as I love living in the UK, I don't feel like there's much of a future for me here.

I moved here in 2011 from the Czech Republic. The degree that I study here is a sandwich degree, which means that in your third year you find yourself a 12 month placement that is relevant to your study area. Whilst finding an unskilled job to help fund my studies hasn't been particularly difficult over here, securing a placement has proven to be impossible if you're not British.

I thought I had a good few things on my CV to make me stand out (e.g. volunteering, semester abroad). I applied for about a hundred placements and only managed to get one interview, whilst all my British friends seemed to be doing so well and eventually got a placement after going for a few interviews. I wasn't even being invited for interviews. Employers seemed to be interested in me, but as soon as they found out that I'm not British, they turned their backs on me.

I feel like I will have more of a chance of succeeding in Canada as it is a country that is build on immigration and prides itself on being welcoming and multicultural. Whilst the UK is also very multicultural, everything here is still massively geared towards the British. I do enjoy living in the UK, but I feel like my British friends here will always do better than me no matter how hard I try and I can't have my confidence shattered again after I graduate and start looking for a skilled job.

I am planning on coming to Canada on an EIC and hopefully find a company that is willing to sponsor me and eventually apply for a permanent residence. I know it may be difficult, but I feel like I have to try it.

Can someone give me advice or share some thoughts? Anything will help.

Regards,

Jakub
How about working in the Czech Republic?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 8:35 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
How about working in the Czech Republic?
Hotter women for sure.

Canada has less opportunities than the UK for marketing so personally I'd stay put. Figure out what is wrong with your CV and get some UK experience then you will be fine.

Canada being kind to immigrants with foreign degrees is a myth just talk to any Cab driver in Downtown Toronto or the guy who is serving at PizzaPizza.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder at threads like this. Never do you see the op even considering that maybe they are the problem and not the whole country?

If I were you, I would look at your CV, look at your covering letter and see what's wrong with it. If you're convinced that these are good, then I would consider what's maybe wrong with the way you come across in interviews, phone calls etc.

I really doubt it's because you're not british.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
I often wonder at threads like this. Never do you see the op even considering that maybe they are the problem and not the whole country?

If I were you, I would look at your CV, look at your covering letter and see what's wrong with it. If you're convinced that these are good, then I would consider what's maybe wrong with the way you come across in interviews, phone calls etc.

I really doubt it's because you're not british.
Agreed. And just for info, Former Lancastrian asked if you (OP) were a national of another country because then you could potentially apply for IEC under that passport as well as your Czech one, if the other passport has better chances of getting you in on IEC.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Many people say that Canadians like to employ people with Canadian experience. I find it odd that you came across this in the UK as I have never come across such discrimination in the UK, we employed people from many countries. Presumably your work permits etc were all in order?
If she is a Czech citizen, she is an EU citizen (with full rights, not restricted like Romanian/Bulgarian nationals are (were?) ; Czech Republic has been an EU member since 2004)

so yes she is fully entitled to live / work in the UK
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
If she is a Czech citizen, she is an EU citizen (with full rights, not restricted like Romanian/Bulgarian nationals are (were?) ; Czech Republic has been an EU member since 2004)

so yes she is fully entitled to live / work in the UK
then there is something wrong with her interview technique
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
then there is something wrong with her interview technique

I can't see why she couldn't get an apprenticeship, but her British friends did, if she is an EU citizen and has full rights in the UK, besides her interview technique being wrong, or her English skills not being up to par. (though from her posts she sounds very good, so I can't see it being that)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.