Flats - Living in Barbados

Old Apr 15th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

ptitom3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flats - Living in Barbados

Dear all,
I'm offered a position in Barbados with a salary of BDS$90,384 per annum at the beginning.

I just wanted to know what can a single person (me) afford with such a salary because I read that Barbados is quite expensive to live in.
Could you give me a few information on what type of flats I could afford with this ?

And since the job is in Bridgetown, would you tell me which parts of town are nice to live in ?
Thank you very much in advance !
Thom
Old Apr 15th 2014, 6:22 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flats - Living in Barbados

I had friends who moved to barbados before even visiting. They stayed a couple of years, but learnt a lesson to "try before you buy"

Go, check it out if you can before committing.

As for expense, bear in mind that it's an island, in you shopping basket you might have lettuce, tomatoes, onions, milk etc and it costs one price one week, and double the next, it depends on whats available on and from the island and what needs to be imported.

Some weeks you will NOT find lettuce for sale anywhere.

Someone with more current information will be able to help you with regards to rent, and as for better parts of Bridgetown, it's not a big place and is all pretty much walking distance.

ZR transport (minibus) is available and you may find that once you visit you want to be in another Provence.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:42 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thom..welcome to the forum

Can I ask where you live now so that we can help you compare costs?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

ptitom3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Serendipidy,
I'm French and living in France (in the South) so I'm used to euros, not to $BDS =)
Thank you !
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:20 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Okkk so i wont be able to help you with your comparisons then as never lived in France...take some time to read through previous posts as there is sooooo much information written on cost of living, appartments, good locations, transport etc that it is not time effective to just keep retyping the same things as this is a very standard request to the forum.....if you then have anything specific to ask then repost and im sure we will be able to assist
Old May 19th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Madgestie is an unknown quantity at this point

Bonjour! I have previously lived in the South of France and as a Brit found it to be expensive - BUT and this is a big BUT - Barbados is about three times more expensive than France. Whereas standard grocery items like yoghurt, milk and juices are three times the price in Barbados than they are in GB - they are five times the price you will pay in France. However it is a matter of adapting your lifestyle to island life and buying where locals buy and buy in bulk - make sure you have a VERY LARGE fridge. The good side is that you will find the price of car fuel i.e. diesel and Petrol a lot less expensive that Europe - so it is swings and roundabouts. You will also find lots of apartments for rent by just going over there and looking out for homemade signs - better deals from better locals than the glossy websites trying to capture big bucks from unsuspecting visitors. As the previous subscriber says - go and look first, it will be one of the best investments you will ever make.