Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, there's no difference at all. What they will need in either city is supportive, engaged, relaxed, confident parents who are not biting their finger nails because they're worrying if they made the right choices for the little darlings, (who'll become what they will be whatever you do).
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:36 pm
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, there's no difference at all. What they will need in either city is supportive, engaged, relaxed, confident parents who are not biting their finger nails because they're worrying if they made the right choices for the little darlings, (who'll become what they will be whatever you do).
I guess you are right and thanks for saying it.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1
my kids are both Canadians and british. no worries there. thanks for your thought.
Just out of curiosity, have you naturalised yet?
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:37 am
been there, done that

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Just out of curiosity, have you naturalised yet?
No, and in am not going to bother. I hear it's a long expensive process and the test is actually difficult. I don't see why I need to anyway, my husband has Canadian citizenship, if we ever wanted to come back. I am a permanent resident. I also have a second passport so not too rushed to have three.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:47 am
been there, done that

Originally Posted by iaink
The one thing that you more than likely wont find in both cities is your family and old friends.
Again, you are very right about that. (You do start to sound a bit like my mother you know..)
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No, and in am not going to bother. I hear it's a long expensive process and the test is actually difficult. I don't see why I need to anyway, my husband has Canadian citizenship, if we ever wanted to come back. I am a permanent resident. I also have a second passport so not too rushed to have three.
If you are a permanent resident then as far as I understand you should keep your status as long as you continue to accompany your Canadian husband outside Canada, and law/policy doesn't change, etc. Check with CIC site.

However, perhaps think longer term. 20 years down the line your husband may be deceased, your permanent residence gone and then one or both your children could decide to live in Canada. You then could find yourself also wanting to live in Canada with them, or just spend more time in Canada, and unable to do so. Your second passport is unlikely to help much.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 4:59 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
I'm sorry, but I can't see what the attraction is about London anymore.
With all but 6 years out of my 41 in the time I spent in London I have witnessed all the good and bad London has to offer.
If you can earn a nice few quid and I mean a nice few quid then maybe you can rise above all the negatives.

So much has changed over the years, I remember down at Upton Park market you used to get the local barrow boys selling their fruit and veg and shouting out, GET YOU GUMS ROUND ME PLUMS 2 FOR A POUND.
That's now been replaced by VERY VERY NICE 1 POUND FISH, serious check it out on you tube.
Don't get me wrong you can take a trip to Borough Market and it will be a great day out with all it has to offer , but what after that ?

Apologies for the rant, Its still one of the greatest city's in the world but be sure you know what you want.

TB is on the rise in London , happy days
I was held up with a gun opposite Borough Market many moons ago.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I was held up with a gun opposite Borough Market many moons ago.
It weren't me was it.

Only joking mate I dont mean it, I got turned over in Leyton years ago aswell.
Not a nice experience, but that comes as part and parcel of living in London.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are a permanent resident then as far as I understand you should keep your status as long as you continue to accompany your Canadian husband outside Canada, and law/policy doesn't change, etc. Check with CIC site.

However, perhaps think longer term. 20 years down the line your husband may be deceased, your permanent residence gone and then one or both your children could decide to live in Canada. You then could find yourself also wanting to live in Canada with them, or just spend more time in Canada, and unable to do so. Your second passport is unlikely to help much.

Do the test and get it done with... Then you have the security of being able to return if you need to. Although you may not want to (like I don't) , you may need to in the future like JAJ said. Take that into consideration.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:28 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

It weren't me was it.

Ha I was only a teenager. He looked away for a second and I hit him hard and ran. I almost got hit by a cab running across Southwark Park Rd.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:40 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx

Do the test and get it done with... Then you have the security of being able to return if you need to. Although you may not want to (like I don't) , you may need to in the future like JAJ said. Take that into consideration.
Interesting it was when I took the test that it dawned on me I didn’t have to stay… I ‘m remember clearly thinking I could come and goes as I pleased, in fact I didn’t need to stay to keep my status, in fact I could leave and keep my status

1 year later I had left…….
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Ha I was only a teenager. He looked away for a second and I hit him hard and ran. I almost got hit by a cab running across Southwark Park Rd.
Thats ironic, you put one on him, then nearly get ironed out by a motor trying to get away.

I was ten at the time, just outside the swimming pool, done me for a bit of change then done a runner, we caught up with hime later though
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:36 pm
Éireann go Brách

Thats ironic, you put one on him, then nearly get ironed out by a motor trying to get away.

I was ten at the time, just outside the swimming pool, done me for a bit of change then done a runner, we caught up with hime later though

I met someone who said they knew him. He was also a regular in the halfway at the old Den but I thought maybe it best to let it go. Thinking about it, London was far worse back in the late 70's and 80's.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

I met someone who said they knew him. He was also a regular in the halfway at the old Den but I thought maybe it best to let it go. Thinking about it, London was far worse back in the late 70's and 80's.
We had more respect back then for the older generation, the younger lot now days dont know when to stop, especially when they've lost face.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

It weren't me was it.

Don't think Leyton has changed much..

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-27062916

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.