Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:03 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or going back to London after 5 yrs, so confused!

Originally Posted by iaink
On the subject of standing around singing a song that doesn't mean anything to the kids, Do schools in the UK Still do hymns at assembly?...

Does anyone really think there is a "night and day" difference between raising kids as a relatively well off parent in Canada, vs the UK? I dont see it.
yep.. they still do sing hyms

The UK still seems to expect the parent to parent, and it does the education bit..
Not night and day.. and not everybodies choice either
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of standing around singing a song that doesn't mean anything to the kids, Do schools in the UK Still do hymns at assembly?...

I seem to recall we used to do at least 3 every day. Not that is did me any harm in the long term.

Does anyone really think there is a "night and day" difference between raising kids as a relatively well off parent in Canada, vs the UK? I dont see it.
Originally Posted by MikeUK
yep.. they still do sing hyms

The UK still seems to expect the parent to parent, and it does the education bit..
Not night and day.. and not everybodies choice either

But what if the child(ren) are non-religious? Do they still have to sing hymns? That's almost worse than the national anthem thing
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall we used to do at least 3 every day. Not that is did me any harm in the long term.
They did when we left. In fact it had got worse.
Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
But what if the child(ren) are non-religious? Do they still have to sing hymns? That's almost worse than the national anthem thing
Yup and it's Christian only. Vivid image of a little Sikh boy belting out "There is only one God, Jesus is his name".
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They did when we left. In fact it had got worse.

Yup and it's Christian only. Vivid image of a little Sikh boy belting out "There is only one God, Jesus is his name".
I had to sing hymns.. but it was a C of E primary school.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
I had to sing hymns.. but it was a C of E primary school.
This was a regular state school.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

This was a regular state school.
Mine was a state school too.. wasn't private or anything like that.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by burks
Mine was a state school too.. wasn't private or anything like that.
Yes but some of them are specifically C of E, my point was that even the ones that aren't have a Christian slant and daily act of worship.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but some of them are specifically C of E, my point was that even the ones that aren't have a Christian slant and daily act of worship.
The parent of a pupil at a community, foundation or voluntary school has the right to request that the pupil be excused from all or part of the RE provided. They do not have to provide a reason and the school must comply with their request. See ‘The right of withdrawal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...00114-2010.pdf
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:18 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone really think there is a "night and day" difference between raising kids as a relatively well off parent in Canada, vs the UK?
It is a very good question. I think you absolutely nailed it. We are making these critical decisions mostly to secure our children's future. Is if fundamentally different raising kids in Toronto or in London? I would like to focus the discussion on these two cities if that is ok as this is the starting point of this thread.

On the questions of safety, education, exposure, life experiences, liberalism, stress and anxiety, competition, well being, future, cultural diversity, health aware... how do we compare Toronto to London from raising kids point of view and IS it really that huge of a difference???
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The parent of a pupil at a community, foundation or voluntary school has the right to request that the pupil be excused from all or part of the RE provided. They do not have to provide a reason and the school must comply with their request. See ‘The right of withdrawal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...00114-2010.pdf
I suppose so. It was only the Jehovah's Witness kids who seemed to be withdrawn by their parents.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 1:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1
It is a very good question. I think you absolutely nailed it. We are making these critical decisions mostly to secure our children's future. Is if fundamentally different raising kids in Toronto or in London? I would like to focus the discussion on these two cities if that is ok as this is the starting point of this thread.

On the questions of safety, education, exposure, life experiences, liberalism, stress and anxiety, competition, well being, future, cultural diversity, health aware... how do we compare Toronto to London from raising kids point of view and IS it really that huge of a difference???
I had some children in Toronto. They went to high school at Jarvis and Gerrard. One now lives in Limehouse (except that she's in Bangui for a few months), one in Vancouver, one in Switzerland. Their classmates were from all over the world and now live all over the world. I'd say that, in terms of cosmopolitanism, they did as well from their education in Toronto as they could have from being educated in London. They took the same, ib, courses here as they would have there. The only clear failing here is that Canada doesn't have history so none is taught, one must make up for that at home.

iaink's right though, well funded children will be fine anywhere.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

What about the atheist boy yelling "You are all full of ****" !
Old Apr 15th 2014, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
I had some children in Toronto. They went to high school at Jarvis and Gerrard. One now lives in Limehouse (except that she's in Bangui for a few months), one in Vancouver, one in Switzerland. Their classmates were from all over the world and now live all over the world. I'd say that, in terms of cosmopolitanism, they did as well from their education in Toronto as they could have from being educated in London. They took the same, ib, courses here as they would have there. The only clear failing here is that Canada doesn't have history so none is taught, one must make up for that at home.

iaink's right though, well funded children will be fine anywhere.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1

No, there's no difference at all. What they will need in either city is supportive, engaged, relaxed, confident parents who are not biting their finger nails because they're worrying if they made the right choices for the little darlings, (who'll become what they will be whatever you do).
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:36 am
Just Joined

DollyDee is an unknown quantity at this point

What an interesting post! I really do hope you go back to London....! If you can afford it places like Kew, Chiswick, Richmond and Barnes are wonderful family places with very good local schools!

Something to also consider about the education system in UK vs Canada is that Canada requires a young person to specialize a lot sooner than the UK and the job market here reflects that. I have just moved to Canada after graduating with a BA degree from the UK and it's so different! What I mean exactly is that in the UK you are encouraged to do a degree that you enjoy (With the exception of those who want professional jobs to a certain extent) as long as you have a reasonable degree i.e not golf studies you can do anything! I have a friend who did a design/arts degree and is in banking, a friend who is an accountant who has a psychology degree. In Canada there isn't that openness and mobility. Every single person I have met has asked why I have an arts degree....in England it's understood that the transferable skills are far more valuable than the degree itself if that makes sense.

Just something I have noticed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.