Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Mochelle, on the Annapolis river
Very close to Annapolis Royal which is beautiful and historic. You will feel a bit more isolated there, it's a bit more of a drive to big stores, though there is a mall at Greenwood which isn't too far away.

Indian Harbour, near Peggy's Cove
Now this will be nice. Those roads are so picturesque, and I'd love to live near Peggy's Cove

Upper LaHarve, 10 minutes to Lunnenberg
This might be more built up (and I say that in the Nova Scotian sense of the word!) but it's very close to the highway so getting to Halifax will be easy.

Carlton Corner, near Bridgetown
Similar to Moschelle really, likely in farmland and forest...

Weymouth North
This one would be the last one I'd choose. You might still feel quite isolated here, it will be some drive to get to anywhere with a reasonable amount of people, and Halifax is too far to go for a day trip. I've not been that far west, but I do know that Digby basically shuts for the winter, not much stays open. Weymouth may be the same... For the money you're looking to spend, I would definitely want to be closer to population and shops. You don't have to be that far away from civilization to feel like you're in the wilds
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:56 am
Been here a while

Sealaig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I don't know details about small towns close to busy areas in NS, as I have always lived in the city. But there are plenty to choose from. NS has an abundance of rural areas and the Province is so small (compared to others) that most are fairly close to populated areas if you choose the right place. Again plenty to choose from, and I am sure people here can direct you.

Bugs in the summer I absolutely hate they also adore me like I am a walking bug attraction. You can find places that have less bugs so be careful where you choose. I once moved to an area of bog land without realizing and I hated going out on my deck in the summer. Where I am now I am close to the ocean and more wind so less bugs. It's only the mozzies that seem to bother me. I still wouldn't change where I live just because of the bugs you just find ways to cope.

Winters here have never bothered me, Now I have never lived in BC but I do prefer the snow. The climate here is not as extreme as other areas of Canada. This winter it seems people got hit pretty hard in a lot of Canada but here we have had no snow since the two rain storms last week and it started to feel like spring. Except for the impending snow storm due on Wednesday. It will be nice soon, so I know it won't last. I prefer the winter here than where I am from in the UK as at least when the sun shines instead of being overcast all year round it does make a big difference. I have been here 6 years now.

Just remember we have hurricane seasons and are hit a lot from those but it's not too bad just gets a bit wild but just thought I would mention it. I LOVE the fall here, best time. Still warm, trees changing colour, that autumn smell.. Just perfect.

Hope I was of some help? Good luck.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

IZZI - Where is Mochelle? I haven't heard of it.

I also recommend the Valley. I'm moving to Annapolis Royal & it's a stunning area. The town itself is quite small but there's lots to do & lots of restaurants/cafes. It's also an Arty town so there's numerous galleries etc & lots of art based events throughout the year. There are no 'box stores' (thank god) but Digby which is 20mins away has quite a few, & New Minas is about an hour away. The downside is Halifax is a 2hour drive but that's still close enough for a day trip.

The summer gets quite busy as it's a tourist town but it's not completely dead in the winter either, most places the locals frequent are open, it's just the B&B's & a few restaurants that close for the season.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm presuming Delta means Moschelle, which is not far from Annapolis Royal at all, east on the 201 according to google. I'm guessing if you live there and haven't heard of it it must be very small
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
I'm presuming Delta means Moschelle, which is not far from Annapolis Royal at all, east on the 201 according to google. I'm guessing if you live there and haven't heard of it it must be very small
Just looked it up, I didn't even know it existed, lol.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

From the back-in-the-day-files.....Isn't the fabled Nova Scotia North Shore an earthly paradise yet within driving distance of your actual civilisation? I recall some real estate agent poster waxing endlessly lyrical on the subject. Perhaps worth checking out?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
From the back-in-the-day-files.....Isn't the fabled Nova Scotia North Shore an earthly paradise yet within driving distance of your actual civilisation? I recall some real estate agent poster waxing endlessly lyrical on the subject. Perhaps worth checking out?
OceanMDX used to successfully sell million $ properties there all the time. Paradise on Earth.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
OceanMDX used to successfully sell million $ properties there all the time. Paradise on Earth.
OutTheBoatOut, surely.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OutTheBoatOut, surely.
Ahem. Ontheboatout.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent

Weymouth North: Weymouth is a pretty little town. Maybe 20 mins to Digby. But there really isn't much there. A valufood and a no frills plus of course homehardware...it's lovely but not much going on. I used to live about 40km away.

Price range, about 500,000 tops: for that amount you could buy half of rural NS!
[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11187501]Bars, it said: Jack Astor's Bar and Grill -> 20 km.

Right. You'd have to pay me to live there. You mean it's too far from Jack Astor's , right?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by izzi81

Weymouth North
This one would be the last one I'd choose. You might still feel quite isolated here, it will be some drive to get to anywhere with a reasonable amount of people, and Halifax is too far to go for a day trip. It's very easy to drive to Halifax for the day from there. We did it regularly from Yarmouth...not that I would recommend it but doable...
Originally Posted by Sealaig
Hello,

This winter it seems people got hit pretty hard in a lot of Canada but here we have had no snow since the two rain storms last week and it started to feel like spring. Where were you on Saturday night? .
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:02 pm
Been here a while

Won't let me quote you DandHill but I was in my house Sat night and has maybe a sprinkling of snow which has now melted, I am comparing our winters to my friends who live in SK, MB and AB. They have had a lot worse than us, Even ON suffered a lot this year. Yes we did get snow but for the last week and a bit I have seen my grass in my yard. My friends have seen -40's with no sign of the snow melting.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sealaig
Won't let me quote you DandHill but I was in my house Sat night and has maybe a sprinkling of snow which has now melted, I am comparing our winters to my friends who live in SK, MB and AB. They have had a lot worse than us, Even ON suffered a lot this year. Yes we did get snow but for the last week and a bit I have seen my grass in my yard. My friends have seen -40's with no sign of the snow melting.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree that we have it easy compared to many provinces.
Saturday night we went to the movies at Bayers Lake. There was no snow on the ground when we went in but 2 hours later when we came out we couldn't find the car there was so much of the white stuff!
Maybe it was quite "localized"
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:14 pm
Been here a while

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree that we have it easy compared to many provinces.
Saturday night we went to the movies at Bayers Lake. There was no snow on the ground when we went in but 2 hours later when we came out we couldn't find the car there was so much of the white stuff!
Maybe it was quite "localized"
It must have been, as we have no snow here at all. And the Sat night snow melter by morning.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:16 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ahem. Ontheboatout.
Oh, yes, the idyllic sandy beaches, water as warm as your bathtub, and New Glasgow, the Richmond-upon-Thames of Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:19 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh, yes, the idyllic sandy beaches, water as warm as your bathtub, and New Glasgow, the Richmond-upon-Thames of Canada.
And let's not forget all the employment opportunities !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.