Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Och I just typed out a reply and the iPad ate it!

Yes you'll get lots of birds. We get lots of bluejays and woodpeckers, and a lot of others I've not identified yet. We rarely get red cardinals although I've heard they're fairly common. In the summer we get hummingbirds, which I love

Autumn here is similar to New England, amazing colours... I tried to post this pic but its huge, so here's a link instead:
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/201...NovaScotia.jpg
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, youse guys!
I'm so excited I'm about to explode!
Granted this is a new development, and we still have to sell our house here.
But even the hubby is thinking he can live with NS.

Cross your fingers everyone!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MillieF
Deva and Silverdragon...how do you find the winters?
This winter has been comparatively hard with lots of snow and below average temperatures but I saw the first flowers in our garden a few days ago so it must be coming to an end.

Wild temperature swings and occasional heavy rain mean the snow comes and goes but it can be on the ground for up to 3 months.

Of the places I have lived (Winnipeg, NW England, Ottawa, Annapolis Valley) I would take the Valley weather any day. Not too cold (below -15C is rare), not too hot (above +25C is rare) and a fair number of sunny days.

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
Can someone comment on the bug population in summer? Mozzies and deer flies?
There are plenty of bugs here, especially if you are in the woods near water. If bugs are a problem for you a recce in June would be a good idea.

Silly questions...
Will I get birds at a bird table?
Do the trees change colour?
Four distinct seasons, yes?
I'm no expert but NS seems good for birds.

This is probably one of the best places in the world for autumn colours.

Definitely four distinct seasons. Autumn is my favourite.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Deva and Silverdragon...how do you find the winters?
Winters I don't find too bad, You get used to them and I can say that every winter since 2008 has been different. I have been working since 2010 and have not yet missed a day from work due to bad weather although many in town have. I live on a main highway so road gets ploughed pretty often which is a help but I have still gone to work with deep snow on the roads and will taking my time and leaving a bit early I made it.

The beauty of NS and the Brits there would be a plus for me too.
Well there be snow on the ground in April? I might see if I can't find a pet sitter and go see...
Who knows we find at this time of the year doesn't last long. We had a storm last night but didn't throw much down 5-10 cms however there is a special severe warning for Wed night/ Thur for snow. Can even remember getting snow in May on my husbands birthday but within 24 hours it was gone
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:55 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I sure hope not. I'll be returning in a week or so.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...imes-1.2582858

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah can't believe the timing of that storm.... we're heading back to Scotland for my OHs grandad's birthday, and our flight leaves Wednesday night. Or rather, is supposed to leave. I don't think it will
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone comment on the bug population in summer? Mozzies and deer flies?
Silly questions...
Will I get birds at a bird table?
Do the trees change colour?
Four distinct seasons, yes?
Bugs, not too bad although I do have bad reactions to both so always makes sure sprayed up before I go out walking.

Birds see all sorts, bluejays are plentiful, crows are big, wrens, what looks like yellow canaries, pheasants at my bird table which is the ground and in the air see birds of prey especially eagles and hawks.

Definate 4 seasons and the fall is great
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 3:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Bugs, not too bad although I do have bad reactions to both so always makes sure sprayed up before I go out walking.

Birds see all sorts, bluejays are plentiful, crows are big, wrens, what looks like yellow canaries, pheasants at my bird table which is the ground and in the air see birds of prey especially eagles and hawks.

Definate 4 seasons and the fall is great
The yellow birds are goldfinches.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Delta, here is a gorgeous house, about 20 minutes from Halifax... what do you think?
http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/77356
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice house.
Im going in April and have six properties on the list to see.

If the reports are good, hubby will follow for a look see later.

It's not England tho, but it's GOT to be better where I am.

Halifax is the biggest city, what few towns are next in line in terms of size?
I would like to get a job, even if its just a check out lady at the drug store...
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Next biggest would probably be Truro, followed by Wolfville/New Minas/Kentville (they almost run together).

Which areas are you looking at houses in?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

In order to make the hubby happy, I am concentrating on waterfront. I don't mind driving. Within reason. In the UK I had an hour commute each way through beautiful countryside, and Iloved every minute of it...

So:
Mochelle, on the Annapolis river
Indian Harbour, near Peggy's Cove
Upper LaHarve, 10 minutes to Lunnenberg
Carlton Corner, near Bridgetown
Weymouth North

Before you start laughing, I'm working blind here... Looking at houses rather than locations since I don't know anything as yet.....

Price range, about 500,000 tops

Last edited by deltadeliquent; Mar 24th 2014 at 12:58 am.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Delta, here is a gorgeous house, about 20 minutes from Halifax... what do you think?
http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/77356
Bars, it said: Jack Astor's Bar and Grill -> 20 km.

Right. You'd have to pay me to live there.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:54 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Bars, it said: Jack Astor's Bar and Grill -> 20 km.

Right. You'd have to pay me to live there.
We don't have Jack Astors in BC so it was quite exciting when I visited Toronto ! ( not)

This place is cool
http://propertyguys.com/property/index/id/77033
Old Mar 24th 2014, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Believe it or not, but it looks like a burgeoning metropolis compared to where I am.
And it's only 23 km from the city!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.