Cruising the Caribbean?

Old Mar 6th 2014, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Cessj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cruising the Caribbean?

Hi there, does anyone know of good, reliable, reasonably priced cruise operators...grandson is visiting from the UK during the school holidays and I thought he might enjoy seeing some of the other islands...would really like to hear of your experiences of local cruises...thanks in advance!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cruising the Caribbean?

Originally Posted by Cessj
Hi there, does anyone know of good, reliable, reasonably priced cruise operators...grandson is visiting from the UK during the school holidays and I thought he might enjoy seeing some of the other islands...would really like to hear of your experiences of local cruises...thanks in advance!
By cruise operators I assume you mean Cruise SALES operators. I have used Vacationstogo.com who are one of the largest, based in the States and they have always been reliable.

There are loads of cruises that start in Barbados between now and the end of April when the Caribbean season lulls and the major ships move to Europe - the Med and Scandinavia.

For example:
Horizon - French Cruise Lines (rated 3 1/2*) leaves Barbados on April 1st calling at Martinique, St Kitts, Tortola, La Romana (DR), at sea, St Lucia and back to Barbados. 7 nights from US$325 plus taxes each for double occ.

Only Carnival Valor stays on the Barbados/Barbados and SJU/SJU run year-round. Pax board in both Barbados and San Juan.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on about 20+ cruises around the Caribbean/Mexico/Honduras. A good source of information and peoples reviews...........

http://www.cruisecritic.com/
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I've been on about 20+ cruises around the Caribbean/Mexico/Honduras. A good source of information and peoples reviews...........

http://www.cruisecritic.com/
I agree, but there is a large variety of cruises out of Barbados in terms of price per day and some are stratospheric, while others as per the one above, are cheapee-cheap so the critics can sound off as much as they like but US$50 per day flashes green lights big-time.

There is nothing quite like boarding a cruise at your hometown and Barbados really works well, whereas the Miami and Fort Lauderdale departures obviously have a big add-on for air and hotels unless you risk arriving and departing the same day at the beginning of your cruise.

Unfortunately, the P&O Cruisers Azura and Ventura are nearing the end of their Caribbean stays for this season but they offer the nicest variety of ports ex Barbados (incl Grenada, Curacao and Bonaire) as the cruises are 14 days.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:06 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

contact either Katherine at Foster and Ince Cruise Services at Sheraton or Julie Going Places in Holetown.. and see what they can offer to you from a local agent. both very knowledgeable..
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didn't realize the OP was based in the Caribbean. Only other place I've boarded from in the Caribbean is Puerto Rico.

From a cruise ship perspective, I've found that many of the islands are very similar in terms of what the cruise ship has to offer in way of excursions and what the islands have to offer for the cruise ship tourists, to the extent that sometimes we don't even bother to get off the ship at certain ports.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, didn't realize the OP was based in the Caribbean. Only other place I've boarded from in the Caribbean is Puerto Rico.

From a cruise ship perspective, I've found that many of the islands are very similar in terms of what the cruise ship has to offer in way of excursions and what the islands have to offer for the cruise ship tourists, to the extent that sometimes we don't even bother to get off the ship at certain ports.
Very encouraging and tactful Bud , particularly since, as you say, WE (incl the OP) are all BASED in the Caribbean.

'Where are we headed tomorrow darling? Oh! Just some other silly old island!'' They're all much of a muchness with nothing much to tell them apart!'

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 6th 2014 at 5:27 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Very encouraging and tactful Bud , particularly since, as you say, WE (incl the OP) are all BASED in the Caribbean.

'Where are we headed tomorrow darling? Oh! Just some other silly old island!'' They're all much of a muchness with nothing much to tell them apart!'
Apologises if it came across like that. The best trips I've had are when we've gone beyond what the cruise ships offer and what is available in port. i.e. we've pre arranged to meet a local who could show us around. e.g. In Roatan we arranged to visit an orphanage with a suitcase full of school supplies. A truly humbling experience. Also a big part of cruising is the ship itself. To get a proper feel for the island(s) you have to go beyond organized cruise ship excursions and the cruise ship terminals and adjacent areas.
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apologises if it came across like that. The best trips I've had are when we've gone beyond what the cruise ships offer and what is available in port. i.e. we've pre arranged to meet a local who could show us around. e.g. In Roatan we arranged to visit an orphanage with a suitcase full of school supplies. A truly humbling experience. Also a big part of cruising is the ship itself. To get a proper feel for the island(s) you have to go beyond organized cruise ship excursions and the cruise ship terminals and adjacent areas.
I agreed with that! It's how we have typically run things ourselves when on cruises here and elsewhere.

There is a conflict of course in that food on board has already been covered (paid for), such that seeking out interesting local dining means 'throwing out' the lunch (when in port) fare though this is can be typically burgers and exotic salads, even in the main dining rooms - probably as well, as otherwise we would ALL be like beached whales.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 6th 2014 at 5:55 pm. Reason: probably as well, as otherwise we would ALL be like beached whales.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Madgestie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - if your grandson is from the UK there is only one way to cruise the Caribbean - either departing the UK or out of Barbados, and that is with P&O Cruises! I have done over 100 cruises with P&O (and I am not an employee!!) and regularly depart Barbados from Bridgtown for one or two week cruises around the islands. The first language is English (as opposed to all announcements being in up to seven different languages), the money is pound sterling and well er you get a bit of British-style as you cruise the Caribbean. There is a huge variety of ships to choose from: adults only to child and family-friendly, small and large tonnage. The new brochure is about to come out mid March so it is well worth waiting for. Enjoy!:
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madgestie
Hi - if your grandson is from the UK there is only one way to cruise the Caribbean - either departing the UK or out of Barbados, and that is with P&O Cruises! I have done over 100 cruises with P&O (and I am not an employee!!) and regularly depart Barbados from Bridgtown for one or two week cruises around the islands. The first language is English (as opposed to all announcements being in up to seven different languages), the money is pound sterling and well er you get a bit of British-style as you cruise the Caribbean. There is a huge variety of ships to choose from: adults only to child and family-friendly, small and large tonnage. The new brochure is about to come out mid March so it is well worth waiting for. Enjoy!:
As per my post above, we are just about finished with P&O Cruises for this season. The only one left is Azura dep Barbados March 21st and that is the transatlantic back to Southampton for the season in Europe.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone, thank for your responses and suggestions...only realised last night that I had replies! Certainly enough to be going on with for now, and I'll check them all out, but please do keep your suggestions coming. Just to be clear, I'm resident in Barbados for a few months and don't plan on making any Miami or Southampton bound cruises (and definitely not while the UK weather is so horrible...).

Grandson is a shy 13 year old and I'm hoping for a cruise with teen-friendly activities.

I'm trying to decide between Eastern and southern Caribbean - any suggestions? I really don't have nay preferences.

Someone suggested arranging for a local on the islands in the itinerary to show me around - I don't know anyone on any of the other islands that i'll be visiting, does anyone know of any guides available...?

Thanks, all.
Have a beautiful day!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone, thank for your responses and suggestions...only realised last night that I had replies! Certainly enough to be going on with for now, and I'll check them all out, but please do keep your suggestions coming. Just to be clear, I'm resident in Barbados for a few months and don't plan on making any Miami or Southampton bound cruises (and definitely not while the UK weather is so horrible...).

Grandson is a shy 13 year old and I'm hoping for a cruise with teen-friendly activities.

I'm trying to decide between Eastern and southern Caribbean - any suggestions? I really don't have nay preferences.

Someone suggested arranging for a local on the islands in the itinerary to show me around - I don't know anyone on any of the other islands that i'll be visiting, does anyone know of any guides available...?

Thanks, all.
Have a beautiful day!
Not sure what the exact timing is, or your budget.

At the TOP end, Silversea, Seadream and Seabourn are not for kids and nor really is Royal Clipper or Windstar. This rules out a lot.

This will govern supply for you as that supply diminishes as we transition to the summer season of many fewer ships - except the Carnival Valor.

You need to check whether the cruises are kid-friendly too as some are not geared for them and therefore do not have kid's organised programmes. This is a bigger deal where there are at sea days as when you are in port you would be off exploring but in the evenings kids have programmes every night which coordinate/link-up with the formal dress-up nights.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 8th 2014 at 11:41 am.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Not sure what the exact timing is, or your budget.

At the TOP end, Silversea, Seadream and Seabourn are not for kids and nor really is Royal Clipper or Windstar. This rules out a lot.

This will govern supply for you as that supply diminishes as we transition to the summer season of many fewer ships - except the Carnival Valor.

You need to check whether the cruises are kid-friendly too as some are not geared for them and therefore do not have kid's organised programmes. This is a bigger deal where there are at sea days as when you are in port you would be off exploring but in the evenings kids have programmes every night which coordinate/link-up with the formal dress-up nights.
Hi Pistolpete2

Budget is at lower to mid-range, rather than luxury....but I think Carnival Valour might work and so I'll drop into my nearest travel agents tomorrow and get some details...can't quite fathom on-line details as when I go to look at the 13th april cruise departing from Bridgetown, the itinerary states that it departs from elsewhere, PR, I think...
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Pistolpete2

Budget is at lower to mid-range, rather than luxury....but I think Carnival Valour might work and so I'll drop into my nearest travel agents tomorrow and get some details...can't quite fathom on-line details as when I go to look at the 13th april cruise departing from Bridgetown, the itinerary states that it departs from elsewhere, PR, I think...
I think there was a tip from another Barbados-based poster that there can be specials which depart in Barbados and are sold from Barbados agents (Foster & Ince) even though the cruise in general is marketed to depart from San Juan.

The Horizon cruises are French-based but depart from Barbados and from La Romana in the Dom Republic.

I think it is easier to feed large numbers of pax from two sources and is fairly typical these days.

Vacationstogo.com is selling from both ports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.