Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy coconuts in Barbados?

Where can I buy coconuts in Barbados?

Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Michael Digby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where can I buy coconuts in Barbados?

Where can I buy coconuts in Barbados? Yes I know this looks a ridiculous question but as a starting point in Sainsbury's supermarket in England they cost one GBP equivalent to 3 BDS. So, as I look out of my window here I can see fields of coconut trees fully laden with coconuts so ...... and I fancy one!! I stopped at the side of the road to buy one and was asked for 10 BDS so I said no thank you. I should add that I 'dressed down' and I drive a fairly beat-up old vehicle so I didn't look affluent, although I am white. Next stop the two local large supermarkets; neither sold fresh coconut but one sold grated coconut frozen in polythene bags - no thank you. So can anyone help me please - I simply want to eat a fresh coconut straight from the trees of this beautiful island.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 9:53 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I buy coconuts in Barbados?

are you looking for dried or the kind you just drink the coconut water out of..?? husband says a drinking one should cost you more than 2 or 3 dollars bbd.. they likely were trying to sell you one and putting the water into a container and that could set you back 10.00.

the dried kind, I don't know what the going rate is for one of those (don't buy either usually as we get from my in-laws and hubby has just harvested 3 dried ones from our trees in our yard..

I'd suggest going to the veggie market in Bridgetown, beside the Central Post office and see what you can find..
Old Feb 9th 2014, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Madgestie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! I too have been trying to buy a coconut and experienced the same as MichaelDigby ...... but I don't understand the reply. I just want a fresh coconut that comes from a tree, I don't want it dried, frozen or in a packet. So will continue to watch this thread ......
Old Feb 9th 2014, 1:36 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madgestie
Wow! I too have been trying to buy a coconut and experienced the same as MichaelDigby ...... but I don't understand the reply. I just want a fresh coconut that comes from a tree, I don't want it dried, frozen or in a packet. So will continue to watch this thread ......
what don't you understand about the reply?? I'm simply trying to clarify what the original poster is looking for..

the coconuts that you see on the road side in Barbados are Young coconuts.. yes, picked fresh off of someones tree, hopefully with permission and having been paid for to the original owner of the tree.. (if there is one)..

A fresh, green or yellow coconut can be cut and you will get water (or not) out of it as well as Coconut Meat.. Jelly - soft or firm, . the vendors on the streets will cut them and pour the water into a jug that will likely end up costing you 10.00 for just the coconut water (and the jug). They should also cut one open and give you a straw to drink the water straight (don't actually know if they do that.. or you can drink it straight out of the coconut, but.. don't spill the water on anything white.. it will stain.)

if you are talking about the same type of coconut meat that comes from a grocery in a bag, used for cooking.. this is the meat that is harvested from a dried coconut.. The outside of the whole coconut is a brown husk.. this is opened to reveal a brown nut..and this is cracked open to give you a firm lovely tasting "meat". These you can find in the shops and grocery stores but not sure about road side vendors.

I hope this has helped.. if not.. well.. find someone else who will likely tell you the same thing..
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Madgestie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that told me!! First and last time I have posted here!!!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:11 pm

no need to be like that Madgestie.. you did the same thing to me when you said you didn't understand the reply and left it at that.. so.. I gave you the story.. do you understand now..???

if you really want to be like that.. try to climb a coconut tree yourself and get one..
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:47 pm

and you were not??? being rude??

I'm not rude.. I answered the question the first time as best I could given what the original poster wanted.. and then I answered yours so that you could understand.. obviously you don't..

Last edited by Serendipidy; Feb 9th 2014 at 4:41 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:38 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ummm Madgestie I have re read Sunnies response and not sure how you would class it as rude in any way....I think she was just pointing out the facts to the question asked...an ex bajan boyfriend of mine said the following....insults are often taken when not given...cant believe im quoting him lolol!!
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:39 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to delete the American reference as was unnecessary and inflammatory
Old Feb 9th 2014, 6:53 pm

Thanks Dips.. appreciate it..
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Supercentre generally sell dry coconuts (the brown ones) for about 3 dollars each.

And there is usually someone selling them at either Holders or Brighton Farmer's Market where the price ranges from 4 (expensive) to 1 (bargain) dollars each.