Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Bajan citizenship by descent

Bajan citizenship by descent

Old Sep 15th 2013, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future
Smile Bajan citizenship by descent

Hi I am looking for info on citizenship through descent. I have looked at previous posts and still not found the right answer for my situation.

I was born in the UK to two bajan parents. My parents were not married and only my mother's name was on my long birth certificate.

My father passed away 15 years ago in the UK and my mother just passed 3 weeks ago. I still have a grandmother living over there and a brother.

I just wondered if I was entitled to apply and if yes where to start. I am currently in the USA but returning to the UK by the end of the year.

I also have a 6 year old daughter and husband (both UK born) would they be entitled to anything if I get citizenship?

I find it amazing that through a death, that you start making connections with your extended family and that you want to know more about your heritage. This is very important for us to pass onto our daughter.

Later I am looking forward to ring my brother just to hear him talk, because the things he says it like listening to my mother!

Thank you so much
Old Sep 15th 2013, 12:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bajan citizenship by descent

You are likely entitled to Bajan citizenship by descent through Section 5(1) and/or 5(2) of the Constitution of Barbados which states:

"5. (1) A person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966
shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at that date
his father is a citizen of Barbados otherwise than by virtue of this
section or section 2(2).

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in
any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados
after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the
date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a
citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados."

This section is also relevant:

"10(2) Any reference in this Chapter to the father of a person
shall, in relation to any person born out of wedlock other than a
person legitimated before 30th November 1966, be construed as
a reference to the mother of that person."

You will need to be registered as a citizen by descent before applying for a passport but there's not much information online about how to apply so I recommend contacting the High Commission in London when you return to the UK.

Citizenship can only be passed on for one generation so your children would not be entitled to citizenship unless they go to live in Barbados for a prescribed number of years or join the Bajan military.

I understand that your husband would be eligible to register as a citizen providing you have been married for three years prior to his application under Section 3A(1)(b).

"a person who has been married to a citizen of Barbados, and
has cohabited with that citizen, for such period as may be
prescribed immediately preceding that person's application."

However both these processes can take years.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773319
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You are likely entitled to Bajan citizenship by descent through Section 5(1) and/or 5(2) of the Constitution of Barbados which states:

"5. (1) A person born outside Barbados after 29th November 1966
shall become a citizen of Barbados at the date of his birth if at that date
his father is a citizen of Barbados otherwise than by virtue of this
section or section 2(2).

(2) Subject to subsection (1) and without derogating from, or in
any way affecting, that subsection, a person born outside Barbados
after 29th November 1966 shall become a citizen of Barbados at the
date of his birth if at the date of the birth at least one of his parents is a
citizen of Barbados who was born in Barbados."

This section is also relevant:

"10(2) Any reference in this Chapter to the father of a person
shall, in relation to any person born out of wedlock other than a
person legitimated before 30th November 1966, be construed as
a reference to the mother of that person."

You will need to be registered as a citizen by descent before applying for a passport but there's not much information online about how to apply so I recommend contacting the High Commission in London when you return to the UK.

Citizenship can only be passed on for one generation so your children would not be entitled to citizenship unless they go to live in Barbados for a prescribed number of years or join the Bajan military.

I understand that your husband would be eligible to register as a citizen providing you have been married for three years prior to his application under Section 3A(1)(b).

"a person who has been married to a citizen of Barbados, and
has cohabited with that citizen, for such period as may be
prescribed immediately preceding that person's application."

However both these processes can take years.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773319
Thank you very much Brit in Paris for the information. Will contact the high commission when we are back in London.

Amanda
Old Sep 16th 2013, 8:19 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to hear of your loss Mrs Bucket. I truly hope you get your citizenship sorted out as it seems you will be entitled to it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pgtips
I am sorry to hear of your loss Mrs Bucket. I truly hope you get your citizenship sorted out as it seems you will be entitled to it.
Thank you Pgtips x
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:48 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs...good luck with your new journey..and the high commission in london is def the best place to start. My understanding is your citizenship by descent is not attibutable to your husband or child but once you get citizenship you can apply for spousal visas and permits for your child.

Dont expect any thing to happen quickly as your unravelling could take a few years but its great to have a dream going forwards that you can be working on..Dips
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Mrs...good luck with your new journey..and the high commission in london is def the best place to start. My understanding is your citizenship by descent is not attibutable to your husband or child but once you get citizenship you can apply for spousal visas and permits for your child.

Dont expect any thing to happen quickly as your unravelling could take a few years but its great to have a dream going forwards that you can be working on..Dips
Thank you Dips for your words. I am in no hurry!

Amanda
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 2:27 am
Just Joined

roses31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mrs bucket,
Just to add - once you get citizenship by descent, you won't be able to pass it unto your children BUT your husband CAN apply for citizenship based on marriage.(although this can take years to process). Also; If you do plan to live in barbados, once you and your husband has citizenship, you can first apply for immigration status for the children and once they have lived in barbados for a period of time (I think it's 7years, not certain how many years) then they too could apply for citizenship in their own right.
My husband has barbadian citizenship by descent and I was able to get it also based on marriage.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roses31
Hi Mrs bucket,
Just to add - once you get citizenship by descent, you won't be able to pass it unto your children BUT your husband CAN apply for citizenship based on marriage.(although this can take years to process). Also; If you do plan to live in barbados, once you and your husband has citizenship, you can first apply for immigration status for the children and once they have lived in barbados for a period of time (I think it's 7years, not certain how many years) then they too could apply for citizenship in their own right.
My husband has barbadian citizenship by descent and I was able to get it also based on marriage.
Thanks for the info
Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

I got in touch with the High Commission in London who sent me the forms, so yesterday I got my picture signed by a legal professional and hot footed on the bus in the pouring rain to the high commission. I paid £95.00 cash and the lady checked my forms several times, gave me the receipt and told me I should hear from them in a years time I am in no rush so will rest up and wait.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

OriginalRez is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, just read your feed and am so looking to do the same thing. I want to apply for citizenship through my dad, and i want to make those steps in that direction as soon as possible so i will be contacting the High Commission tomorrow. And it was really pouring yesterday lol.

Thanks Mrs Bucket - Very Useful
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalRez
Wow, just read your feed and am so looking to do the same thing. I want to apply for citizenship through my dad, and i want to make those steps in that direction as soon as possible so i will be contacting the High Commission tomorrow. And it was really pouring yesterday lol.

Thanks Mrs Bucket - Very Useful
I have been lazy, as I have been in back in London for 3 months and only contacted them last Thursday.

They will send you two forms and an extra form to apply for your Dad's birth certificate costing £6.00 but this will be sent to Barbados and is required before you can fill in the form for citizenship by descent. Luckily my mum had applied some years ago for her birth certificate as the high commission no longer accept the baptism certificate which my mum had from 1942!

High Commission helpful upon telephoning but frosty when you go in person!

Good Luck
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Bajan citizenship by descent

My dad lives in Barbados now, I wasn't gonna tell him about my citizenship, I was just gonna show up and not make a fuss about when I have to fly back home, indirect hints there, but I will get in touch with him for his details or even ask him to inquire about it for me out in Barbados. But is the High Commission the one based on Great Russel Street? Because i'll rather go through the useful route via the phone, to the frosty one first.

Thanks again
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalRez
My dad lives in Barbados now, I wasn't gonna tell him about my citizenship, I was just gonna show up and not make a fuss about when I have to fly back home, indirect hints there, but I will get in touch with him for his details or even ask him to inquire about it for me out in Barbados. But is the High Commission the one based on Great Russel Street? Because i'll rather go through the useful route via the phone, to the frosty one first.

Thanks again
Asking him to ask questions directly over there would be a lot of help to you, as all the paperwork goes to Barbados. It also may help you get the paperwork through their system quicker! Yes it is the one on Great Russell Street, I actually walked past it as the Barbados flag that's normally outside was missing.

You can do everything by post (which would mean sending a postal order as they do not accept cheques) but I found it was easier paying by cash, getting the forms checked and then was handed back all my original paperwork. They ask for parent birth certificate, your long birth certificate, marriage certificate, i took mother's death certificate and 4 pictures of you with one of them signed by a legal professional. The lady who checked my paperwork finally smiled after telling me that I would hear from them in a year!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Yea I'll take the quickest route possible, I'll talk to my dad this weekend and see what needs to be done on his side. I don't mind waiting a year I'm only 25 I'm in no rush.

Good luck to you too girl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.