Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice
Default T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

I'm sure this will affect more than a couple of us on here so thought I would bring this up. I've been looking over this form as I'm going to have to complete it for my 2013 tax return as I have been renting my UK property.

There are a few points to clarify for peace of mind. - I'm interested to know other members interpretations as well as the professional opinion of members such as JonBoy

So, the start of the form is straight forward
Who you are (Individual etc)
Name, Sin,
Individual Code. 2) for employed / unemployed 1) Self Employed
Address
Year of the tax return. - I presume this is the calendar year as I have completed below.

Onto the next stage we begin to list our specified foreign property.

As I don't have any foreign assets with a Canadian brokerage I will not be getting a T5 so can leave this box unchecked.

Funds held outside Canada.

Natwest - I assume this can encompass all accounts under the one listing. savings, ISA & current account.

Figures I believe are the maximum balance carried at a given point throughout the year and the closing balance on December 31st. I would assume the income portion of this would relate to any interest earned. I have no idea how you could have a loss here. Unless my money was in Cyprus.

TD Direct Investing.

Now this I am unsure of. Dividends would be paid into this so I assume the cash balance should be listed in this portion. So the maximum held in dividends payments and cash was $2500 - I either withdrew or purchased more stock with it so my closing balance is 0 and the holding account doesn't pay interest so no money was earned. Would this be acceptable? I assume you don't need to list the portfolio balance as you are listing the stocks separately.

Zopa UK - This is a peer to peer lender. I'm unsure if I should list this here or under indebtedness?

What else should be listed under funds held? When you read the notes it even mentions pre paid credit cards!!! So I assume if I like a flutter on ladbrokes once in a while then any funds held with them should be listed. Of course this creates a grey area as I could win and list an income but as it's gambling it's non taxable? I'm thinking this could then be begging for an audit as you would be recording an income here which would then not be listed on the tax return. Should you include any funds held with a bookmaker?

Shares

So here I list my holdings. maximum cost during the year. Now they state when you move to Canada it's the FMV on the day you arrive. So if no transactions have taken place I assume this to be the "Maximum Cost"

In the Vodafone example it was $3500 when I arrived. I haven't purchased or sold anything and have received $200 in dividends. Is it correct that the end of year cost is the same? I believe from my interpretation that as no transactions have taken place the cost basis is the same and that the market price is not required in this field.

Morrisons - $3500 value on arrival into Canada. $2500 at year end as I sold some of my holdings. $100 in dividends and $400 capital gain on the partial sale.

Centrica - $3500 on arrival and later added to the holdings so my final cost is $5500 with $300 in income. Here as I type this I now realise my own mistake as the maximum cost amount should also be $5500 as this is my highest cost basis throughout the year.

Finally my residential property which I have let out.

Value $150000 on arrival. No capital expenditure so $150000 recorded as present value. I assume if I was claiming CCA then you would reduce the end of year figure by this amount.

Thanks for any input on this. I'm interested to know others thoughts and ensure I get this right when the time comes to file.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: T1135 Foreign Income Verificiation (New Form)

I have not seen any detailed guidance on this yet, but these are my thoughts ...

Originally Posted by yzf.shaun

So, the start of the form is straight forward
Who you are (Individual etc)
Name, Sin,
Individual Code. 2) for employed / unemployed 1) Self Employed
This is new, and a little confusing. On virtually every other CRA form an individual code is 1 for single ownership and 2 for joint ownership. The language in the notes is also less than crystal clear. I see that they have changed the due date for filing from April 30th for everybody to the date you have to file your tax return. (There was a well reported case in the Tax Court on this.) If either you or your spouse is self-employed then the due date for your tax return is June 15th so you check box 1. Otherwise check box 2.

Address
Year of the tax return. - I presume this is the calendar year as I have completed below.
Yes, for an individual it is always a calendar year.

Onto the next stage we begin to list our specified foreign property.

As I don't have any foreign assets with a Canadian brokerage I will not be getting a T5 so can leave this box unchecked.

Funds held outside Canada.

Natwest - I assume this can encompass all accounts under the one listing. savings, ISA & current account.
I don't see why not.

Figures I believe are the maximum balance carried at a given point throughout the year and the closing balance on December 31st. I would assume the income portion of this would relate to any interest earned.
Yes to this.

TD Direct Investing.

Now this I am unsure of. Dividends would be paid into this so I assume the cash balance should be listed in this portion. So the maximum held in dividends payments and cash was $2500 - I either withdrew or purchased more stock with it so my closing balance is 0 and the holding account doesn't pay interest so no money was earned. Would this be acceptable? I assume you don't need to list the portfolio balance as you are listing the stocks separately.
Is the TD account in Canada? If not:

Yes. If there was nothing in the brokerage account when you became a tax-resident of Canada the cost of this account will just be whatever you have put in and is still there during the year. I think what you have said makes sense.

Zopa UK - This is a peer to peer lender. I'm unsure if I should list this here or under indebtedness?
I would probably choose indebtedness, but I doubt they woud send you to jail if you included it in this section.

What else should be listed under funds held? When you read the notes it even mentions pre paid credit cards!!! So I assume if I like a flutter on ladbrokes once in a while then any funds held with them should be listed. Of course this creates a grey area as I could win and list an income but as it's gambling it's non taxable? I'm thinking this could then be begging for an audit as you would be recording an income here which would then not be listed on the tax return. Should you include any funds held with a bookmaker?
Yes, funds in a bookmaker's account should be reported. Income, for tax purposes, is income from a source. Sources include office, employment, business and property. Gambling is not a source (unless it is undertaken in a systematic manner when it can be classified as a business) so gambling winnings are not income and are not reported or taxed.

Shares

So here I list my holdings. maximum cost during the year. Now they state when you move to Canada it's the FMV on the day you arrive. So if no transactions have taken place I assume this to be the "Maximum Cost" In the Vodafone example it was $3500 when I arrived. I haven't purchased or sold anything and have received $200 in dividends. Is it correct that the end of year cost is the same? I believe from my interpretation that as no transactions have taken place the cost basis is the same and that the market price is not required in this field.
Yes to the above.

Morrisons - $3500 value on arrival into Canada. $2500 at year end as I sold some of my holdings. $100 in dividends and $400 capital gain on the partial sale.
Yes.

Centrica - $3500 on arrival and later added to the holdings so my final cost is $5500 with $300 in income. Here as I type this I now realise my own mistake as the maximum cost amount should also be $5500 as this is my highest cost basis throughout the year.
Yes.

Finally my residential property which I have let out.

Value $150000 on arrival. No capital expenditure so $150000 recorded as present value. I assume if I was claiming CCA then you would reduce the end of year figure by this amount.
No, claiming CCA does not change the original cost. The property will always have a tax-cost of $150,000 unless you make additional capital expenditures.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This new form is badly designed, I've just been talking to the CRA about it.

Where the reporting taxpayer has received a T3 or T5 from a Canadian issuer in respect of a specified foreign property for a taxation year, that specified foreign property is excluded from the T1135 reporting requirement for that taxation year.
If any of the Specified Foreign Property held during the year is subject to the above exclusion, check this box
This is apparently causing a lot of confusion, it's causing me confusion.

In essence, say you hold $100,000 in specified foreign assets and one penny of it was reported to the CRA on a T3 or a T5, you don't have to file a T1135, I just confirmed that with them.

The one thing that confused me was why only T3 or T5, why not say, a T4RSP slip or an RRSP slip? The reason why is because an RRSP is not technically owned by you, it's an account held in trust by a financial institution so it doesn't go on the T1135 either. Hands up anyone who could tell that by reading this form.

Also I'm not quite clear on foreign mutual funds, but they told me that is a non-resident trust so yes it has to be reported on that line.

Also the tax year question is stupid, previously you only needed to do that for say corporations with different year ends.

Anyway a lot of people have complained he said, they're looking again at the instructions for the form.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

So has anyone properly worked out this form yet? I'm just looking at it for the first time... I've just about managed to fill in the top bit (though the Individual code is confusing...).

All I have is funds held outside of Canada, which is a bank account that I use to pump money between my management agent and my mortgage & insurance companies (and has not received any interest), and a house.

So in Section 1 (Funds held outside of Canada), I guess I just put in the maximum amount and the year end amount and put the Income (Loss) as zero? But can I put the amount in GBP or do I have to convert to CAD?

Section 5, the cost amount appears to be the fair market value of the property when I immigrated, so is the maximum value and the cost amount at year end the same number? Income appears to be the gross rental income? And as I haven't disposed of it, I'm guessing that number is zero?

Last year was much simpler... Thanks for any help
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That God I use an accountant!

That form has been the bane of my life in the past and it looks even worse now.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So the accountant can screw it up and when the CRA ask you for information you haven't got a clue what they're on about.

My tax return this year is super duper complicated and I played around with UFile, Studiotax, Simpletax and Turbotax - none of them came up with the right answer, although simpletax did give me a couple of clues (as it summarized information from the CRA that I had skipped over) that enables me to figure out how to do it on paper.

Which firmly convinced me of my earlier conviction that tax software is pretty much pointless. Either your tax return is so simple, say you've got a T4, T5 and an RRSP contribution slip that you don't need it, or it's too complex and you make it more complex by figuring out the software and which button you need to press.

I've certainly made mistakes in the past and no doubt I'll make mistakes in the future but at least (a) I've cut out the middleman and (b) I haven't made any mistakes resulting in any penalties to date.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:38 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So the accountant can screw it up and when the CRA ask you for information you haven't got a clue what they're on about.

My tax return this year is super duper complicated and I played around with UFile, Studiotax, Simpletax and Turbotax - none of them came up with the right answer, although simpletax did give me a couple of clues (as it summarized information from the CRA that I had skipped over) that enables me to figure out how to do it on paper.

Which firmly convinced me of my earlier conviction that tax software is pretty much pointless. Either your tax return is so simple, say you've got a T4, T5 and an RRSP contribution slip that you don't need it, or it's too complex and you make it more complex by figuring out the software and which button you need to press.

I've certainly made mistakes in the past and no doubt I'll make mistakes in the future but at least (a) I've cut out the middleman and (b) I haven't made any mistakes resulting in any penalties to date.
Our tax returns are anything but simple. The accountant charges us $70 for the pair of them (out of hours work). That is money well-spent.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know whether I'm also supposed to report assets (shares, bonds, unit trust units, etc) that are held in UK Self Invested Personal Pension (SIPP). I note that the form is called a 'Foreign Income Verification Form', and as I currently don't derive any income from these assets (ie I am not yet drawing a pension) I'm not sure if I need to include them.

Any help much appreciated.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I would never get someone else to do it because it forces me to examine my finances, which I find to be a useful exercise.

It's just something I feel I should know how it works, how much tax do I pay, what am I paying it on, why am I being taxed?

I really hate tax systems like the UK where they supposedly "simplify" it for you but in reality they're trying to hide how much tax you're paying, e.g. including VAT in the price. Oh don't worry you don't need to file a tax return, it's all been collected through PAYE, through withholding on your bank account etc.

No, I want to know how much you're taking off me. If that causes you, the government a problem, then you know what? Get rid of the tax or collect it in a simpler way. I don't have any trust in a government that collects taxes covertly.

Yeah the UK has the lowest income tax rate in Europe. Mmm. Because of all the other taxes.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Yandros
Does anyone know whether I'm also supposed to report assets (shares, bonds, unit trust units, etc) that are held in UK Self Invested Personal Pension (SIPP). I note that the form is called a 'Foreign Income Verification Form', and as I currently don't derive any income from these assets (ie I am not yet drawing a pension) I'm not sure if I need to include them.

RRSPs don't have to be, because they're held in trust, but a foreign pension plan I guess would be a non-resident trust so you would put it down under 4.

Not obvious. The RRSP thing isn't obvious so that's even less obvious, I would call them and check.

This is an informational thing to make sure you're not a tax cheat, so over reporting doesn't really hurt you if you're not sure.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
... but a foreign pension plan I guess would be a non-resident trust so you would put it down under 4...
Foreign pension plans are exluded by ITA 233.2(1) (a) and (b). Generally, if the foreign pension trust is exempt from tax in its jurisdiction, it exists primarily to provide pensions to foreigners, and your interest in the trust relates to a period of employment outside Canada, then you don't need to report it.

I don't believe that you need to report foreign assets held in a registered account (RRSP/TFSA).
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Yandros

Don't be mislead by the title. This form is about reporting foreign assets.

IMO opinion the SIPP should be reported because it is not "maintained primarily for the benefit of non-resident individuals."

There are no penalties for over-reporting so my advice would be: if in doubt report it.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:58 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Foreign pension plans are exluded by ITA 233.2(1) (a) and (b). Generally, if the foreign pension trust is exempt from tax in its jurisdiction, it exists primarily to provide pensions to foreigners, and your interest in the trust relates to a period of employment outside Canada, then you don't need to report it.

I don't believe that you need to report foreign assets held in a registered account (RRSP/TFSA).
The reason being I assume that if it is a foreign plan maintained for the benefit of Canadians the CRA must be aware of it to some degree. Obviously by "foreign plan" I meant something you had contributed to while employed abroad that people resident there would contribute to.

Yeah and the RRSP and TFSA are exempt, CRA are already aware of them obviously due to reporting by the FI, checked on that.

This is so much fun.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:21 am
Slob

That form is a bitch.

I'm covered by the "trusts" bit. The trust (discretionary) gets its money from dividends paid out on shares it holds in a limited company.

The trust itself probably has no market value and I have no capital. All I can do is tell the CRA how much I received and how much UK tax was paid on it before I saw my money (foreign tax credit).

I've been audited on that twice. I feel number three coming on later this year.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 6:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Sounds like a very complicated way to pay yourself. Why don't you just become self-employed and invoice the UK corporation?

Anyway I've come to the conclusion I don't need to file this form, after all that. So it did force me to look at things in more detail, so much of it is covered by a small mountain of tax slips I had lost track of what was where and what was being reported to the CRA already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.