UK Bank Accounts

Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default UK Bank Accounts

Hi There, I think I have read something along these lines before but can't find it now so wonder if anyone can offer some info please.

I'm trying to find out what type of bank accounts I can leave open in the UK when I relocate to NZ. I want to keep my UK current account for rental income and such and then a savings account to hold any money I have so I can perhaps wait until the exchange rate is a little better before I commit it to NZ.

However, I notice that some building societies and banks say that when you become a non resident in the UK (which I need to do for rental tax exemption) the account has to close (apart from an ISA).
Can I ask what other people have done when they have moved please?

Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK Bank Accounts

I have a current account with the halifax and I've been here over two years and they send me statements etc.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
However, I notice that some building societies and banks say that when you become a non resident in the UK (which I need to do for rental tax exemption) the account has to close (apart from an ISA).

Thanks
I have 2 accounts with Nationwide still open in the UK and I've been here for over 4 years. I changed the address to my Mum's and my statements go there but they know I'm in NZ
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:14 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Lloyds Bank now for 5 years. Pay my pension (not old age!) into it and they send me statements, debit cards etc. to my Australian address. And it's still free banking.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

chauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to allchauxfleur is a name known to all
Smile Re: UK Bank Accounts

I did a bit of research with my UK bank and will be keeping my account open and giving my mum authorisation to access the account / make transfers etc in the UK in an emergency... My bank were really helpful about it and didn't have any issue with keeping the account open whilst I'm away.

Not sure about savings and transferring money to NZ - Westpac Migrant Banking team told my mum would have to fill in an international money transfer form in their uk branch. In London. She lives in Leeds. We are researching international money transfer agents!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
I have a current account with the halifax and I've been here over two years and they send me statements etc.
Ditto, had one now for the 6 yrs I have been in NZ that was opened in the UK well before we left. They know we are here and send our statements to our NZ address. I think you are confusing it with you CANNOT open an account for a british bank once you have left the UK unless it is an offshore account.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Got Coop bank account & Visa card, internet banking etc and statements get sent to my NZ address ... been here 7 yrs and had no problems
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:48 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chauxfleur
I did a bit of research with my UK bank and will be keeping my account open and giving my mum authorisation to access the account / make transfers etc in the UK in an emergency... My bank were really helpful about it and didn't have any issue with keeping the account open whilst I'm away.

Not sure about savings and transferring money to NZ - Westpac Migrant Banking team told my mum would have to fill in an international money transfer form in their uk branch. In London. She lives in Leeds. We are researching international money transfer agents!
www.tranzfers.com

easy.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Reylan

Thanks
Perhaps that's because they don't want the hassle of paying any interest tax free on certain types of account? (Just a guess om my part)
I have recently checked with Halifax and RBS for current accounts. Halifax said as long as the account is already open you can operate it from abroad, I got the impression that their 'official' line was that it was ok for a few months to help tidy up affairs in the UK, but not long term though they wouldn't chase you to close it down as long as things were going smoothly. RBS just said yes no problem especially as I get electronic statements, not postal ones.

John.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I left UK in 92, still have a Barclays account and when I need to I pull money from a local ATM. They know I'm in Oz, and they send me replacements cards and statements to my OZ add.