Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sail sewing materials in abu dhabi

Sail sewing materials in abu dhabi

Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough
Default Sail sewing materials in abu dhabi

Does anyone know where i can get thread and needles of the type used for sails?

Cant seem to find them anywhere and have a repair job to do

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:48 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default Re: Sail sewing materials in abu dhabi

jeez are things that bad? If you cant afford a flight mate drop a few hints you know what us christians are like for rallying round.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Shat Fink;7849737]Does anyone know where i can get thread and needles of the type used for sails?

Cant seem to find them anywhere and have a repair job to do

Have you tried the local sailing club?

There was a company in SHJ, which I believe still exists, but can't remember the name just now that done very good repairs and cheaply. That was about 10 years ago!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah i used to go to that shop in Sharjah when i was in Dubai. Cant remember the name of the shop either but still know the guy who manged it.

I'll try a sailing club, its not actually for a sail but something similar.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:05 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shat Fink
Yeah i used to go to that shop in Sharjah when i was in Dubai. Cant remember the name of the shop either but still know the guy who manged it.

I'll try a sailing club, its not actually for a sail but something similar.
The guy was Brian Hooper and the shop was ULO...I used to buy some windsurfing gear from him from time to time - no longer in existance as far as I know.

Best bets would be asking at DOSC in Dubai or The Club in Abu Dhabi.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
The guy was Brian Hooper and the shop was ULO...I used to buy some windsurfing gear from him from time to time - no longer in existance as far as I know.

Best bets would be asking at DOSC in Dubai or The Club in Abu Dhabi.
Brian Hooper/ULO that was it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess he sailed off into the sunset!!!!!!!!!!???
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Yeah Mike White was the other guy there, not sure if before of after Brian though
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Bodach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shat Fink
Yeah Mike White was the other guy there, not sure if before of after Brian though
Try a local tent shop that makes tents and sun shades, they should be able to help you.

B.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

There is a "tent" shop in Abu Dhabi on Airport Road (2nd St) near the junction of 13th Street - I can't remember the name but it might be worth having a look. I think they make tents and pool shades etc
Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for all the info. I didnt think of the tent makers, good idea, i'll check it out.

Funny how hard it is to get stuff to fix things with here, no wonder how everything is botched.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Al Bateen Marina. There are all sorts of shops down there and I'm sure one of them will know the right place to go if they don't do it themselves.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theboathouse.ae/
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:12 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

i would have thought the Club would be able to assist...