Working as a teacher in the US

Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a teacher in the US

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Err, note my recommendation 4:

4. Don't leave the US til the greencard comes through.

Bringing yourself a whole world of problems if you do what you suggest.

You'll want to pop over to the Marriage forum for more details if you do want to go the marriage route.

As for shotgun weddings... Vegas is your best bet.
The OP has not said when he arrrived yet ...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishmikester
So far, it has been explained to me that the US already looks overseas for teachers and public school systems have been happy to accept applications.
Who is telling you this? Those inner city districts don't have enough money for notebooks and chalk, so do you think they have spare cash to cover the considerable legal expenses associated with sponsoring foreign workers?

Marriage is an option for us and we are considering eloping in Canada. This is not something we would prefer. Has anyone any advice on a shotgun wedding and the process after that?
What does Canada have to do with anything?

Once again:

HOW LONG have you been in the USA?

WHAT is your current immigration status?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The OP has not said when he arrrived yet ...
Granted, but since he seemingly has now "moved" here, rightly or wrongly has entered the US ok and has the possibility of marrying a USC... <insert 10-foot pole debate here>...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

irishmikester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
Not sure why you think that "eloping in Canada" would help you to stay legally in the US.

You still have not answered the question about how you entered the US and what your current status is. If you don't want to answer it that's OK, but be aware that if you are here illegally or if you stay longer than you are allowed to based on however it was that you got into the US there can be serious consequences including being removed from the US and being banned from returning for an extended period (which could be as much as 10 years depending on the circumstances)

Sounds like your only practical option is to get married, but you should immediately consult an immigration attorney in order to figure out exactly what your current status is, what your options are, and how you should proceed.
HI,
I walked into the US on a tourist visa and bizarrely when I got to Guam, where I passed through immigration, I was told that if I wanted to stay for more than three months I should pop up to Canada so that I could get another three months. I am currently here as a tourist and I'm completely legal.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

HI,
I walked into the US on a tourist visa and bizarrely when I got to Guam, where I passed through immigration, I was told that if I wanted to stay for more than three months I should pop up to Canada so that I could get another three months. I am currently here as a tourist and I'm completely legal.
LOL..It no longer works that way ...
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

HI,
As much as I'm enjoying all of this attention I'm afraid I must go off line. I've to speak to the 'man' who deals with overseas teachers in an education authority on Monday. Perhaps he can shed more official light on the matter.
Thanks, until monday!
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

HI,
OH, forgot to mention, I've been here about 1 1/2 months.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

so what will you do when you cant get back into the US from Canada?

they wont employ you without legal status. you could maybe get a job mowing lawns or labouring where they maybe dont check the fine details but an education authority wont take on an illegal worker which is what you are right now. You wont have right to work until your EAD comes through and that takes a while after you put in your adjustment status after the marriage.

But go ahead - laugh at us and go meet your contact and flee to canada to marry. see if it matters to us if you screw your own self.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

OH, forgot to mention, I've been here about 1 1/2 months.
If the teaching gig doesn't come through in the next 45 days, you're going to have to move carefully and quickly.

Good luck for Monday
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I'm enjoying all of this attention I'm afraid I must go off line. I've to speak to the 'man' who deals with overseas teachers in an education authority on Monday. Perhaps he can shed more official light on the matter.
Thanks, until monday!
Official light on what? Your proposed immigration?

<<<shaking head in disbelief>>>

Your replies suggest that you still have not read up on Pulaski's Ways, nor the associated links.

If you have been here for 1.5 months already, you seriously have to do your research and get your act together. Any poor decisions now could come to haunt you for a very long time.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I've to speak to the 'man' who deals with overseas teachers in an education authority on Monday. Perhaps he can shed more official light on the matter.
Thanks, until monday!
The fact that you aren't overseas is a slight wrinkle...

DC must be crawling with immigration lawyers. You need one of those much more than a contact at a school district. You have about half your visa waiver time left. Use it wisely.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, you don't have "three months" - you have 90 days. They can be 2 different things if you overstay even a day.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've to speak to the 'man' who deals with overseas teachers in an education authority on Monday.
You're an educated man - you should educate yourself thoroughly with US immigration before you do something really stupid that will turn you from a visitor into a criminal. You're not there yet... but you're well on your way.

Ian
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:32 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

IMO no school district or county will touch you with a barge poll if you are only visiting on a Visa Waiver. Since you don't have the appropriate visa/status to work in the US, it's almost impossible to be employed legally.

Things may be different for schools that aren't funded by the government but any school with any reputation would not hire just a visitor, regardless of his/her qualification, experience and accomplishments.

... and yes, there are teacher shortages in some parts of the US but don't assume that you'll be earning more than you were in the UK just because you're working in the US.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't a lack of State teaching license be another stumbling block?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.