Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Cheapest and fastest ways to send parcels from UK to Barbados

Cheapest and fastest ways to send parcels from UK to Barbados

Old Feb 25th 2014, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Cessj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest and fastest ways to send parcels from UK to Barbados

Hello good people,
I'm Cessj, currently in month one of a six month stay in Barbados. I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest quickest and cheapest ways to get parcels (small, no more than 5kg) sent to me from the UK.
Husband recently sent me a box of books that cost over £100.00 - he sent it via PARCELFORCE which I know is NOT the cheapest of courier shipping services, but then, he didn't bother to do his research as I would have done.
Also, although the parcels arrived in Barbados within three days of sending, it took me over a week, with many phone calls before I was able to collect them from the Post Office. Amazing to me that it took 3 days to get them 4,000 miles across the Atlantic but over 8 week for them to get to me from 3 miles away.
Is it possible to have parcels delivered to my address instead of to the Post Office?

Many thanks
Old Feb 25th 2014, 8:01 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest and fastest ways to send parcels from UK to Barbados

boxes/parcels generally have to be collected either from your local post office or the general post office in Bridgetown. much depends on weight and what has been put on the package contents list.

I've lived here 21 years and I'm pretty sure I've never received a box at my home, unless it was sent maybe by FedEX or UPS.. but even then you have to go collect.. and open it infront of the post office clerk or customs officer. Even large padded envelopes will be cause to have them stopped and you have to collect them.

not being from the UK, I can't help with the best shipping company. My sister uses the US Postal Service from the US, which now have flat rate boxes she can use.. some take me about 3 weeks to get.. others faster.. but I never count on faster.. 3 weeks is about it.. anything else would be more expensive. In the cheapest rate for me to send a letter to the US via FedEx is 90.00bbd.. and that is just their smallest envelope.. so.. The postal service it is..
Old Feb 25th 2014, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reply. I spent ages making long lists of everything I would need to bring with me, and either I actually forgot to bring them, have belatedly realised that some things just will not do for the climate here, especially as it is getting hotter, or just didn't think to pack them. Luckily husband is at home and happy to send relief parcels.
I lived here back in the early '90s and I seemed to recall that some items would be delivered straight to my door, but that is probably just a matter of wishful thinking and early onset Alzheimer's. I also seemed to remember that deliveries much faster, but that's false memory syndrome.
OK. I'm going hope that a UK Ex-Pat will recommend courier companies, and will just have to accept the slower processes (I was told off by the post officer last week who wanted me to appreciate the efficiency of the system, as according to her, they had managed to get my parcel into the system within a day of its arrival in Barbados. I pointed out that the parcel had actually arrived in Bridgetown the week before, and I knew this as I had been tracking it, and moreover, a post worker had confirmed this verbally over the 'phone to me five days before, and so it must have gotten lost somewhere in the system.
I'm Bajan born, and so I have a lot of patience - sometimes - and I have to remember to draw on these reserves when dealing with bureaucracy . Thanks again. Enjoy your evening!
Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:53 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Things have definitely changed regarding having things delivered.. but I'm pretty sure I've never had a box show up at my door.... My first Christmas in Barbados, I received the only Christmas present I was going to get from my family back home.. a slip of paper arrived in my mailbox.. I went to the post office near my house.. and was made to open the very small box.. AND the gift wrapped present inside.. I cried all the way back to my house..

now.. every time I have a family member send something to me.. I go with an open mind.. and decide it's like Christmas every time... (that was Dec 1992..)

the other thing is.. wouldn't it be cheaper to find things here, rather then ship them in.. unless of course you are in the process of moving back here.

Anyway. yes. Patience is a virtue... (but as the sign says..."I want it right now"...) Good Luck going forward....
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi. Yes, it would be cheaper to buy some things locally, and it have done, but I had some personal items that I couldn't source here or were too expensive or just wasn't particularly good quality wise.

Hope you can answer my other question on new thread.

Thinking of a trip to the post office in terms of Xmas surprises. Yes, I think that's definitely the right attitude! And I do like getting late Xmas presents!
Old Feb 26th 2014, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

LGWBGI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cessj,

I just sent some documents to my Attorney in Barbados and it was delivered
direct to their office which is how they always recieve it. The courier service I use is Fedex, they are expensive but reliable.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:48 am

documents are different animals to a box of box or used clothes etc... absolutely.. documents even sent regular mail from the US get sent direct to me at my house.... no worries there..
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used www.parcelmonkey.co.uk a few times and it worked really well.

A 2.5 kilo package from London to BB in 3 days - no duty paid this end.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CarlHnz
I have used www.parcelmonkey.co.uk a few times and it worked really well.

Hi CarlHnz

Thanks, this is really useful and I already have a UK account with parcelmonkey who are excellent 89% of the time...will definitely consider them next time...
best wishes
Old Jun 11th 2014, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Andi05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CarlHnz
I have used Cheap Parcel Delivery Prices for UK Courier Services with Next and Same Day shipping | Parcel Monkey a few times and it worked really well.

Hi CarlHnz
Have been looking into using parcel monkey to send parcel from UK to Barbados but been advised that would be handed to DHL to deliver but only after duties paid to them. So interested in how you had no duty to pay.
Daughters birthday and don't want her to end up paying fortune for her own presents