Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Cost of Nanny and Housekeeper

Cost of Nanny and Housekeeper

Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Ana Fraser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Nanny and Housekeeper

Hi Everyone. i need some information on the cost of employing a full time Nanny/House Keeper in St. James. We are moving soon and have arranged one though Island sitters but we are paying $12 an hour. This is just a temporary thing till we can sort out something permanent of corse. So I would really appreciate is you could let me know what the going rate is. Do house keepers normally live in?

Thank you.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Nanny and Housekeeper

Hi Ana,

Good to hear you're coming soon! It might be helpful if you specify what your needs are (i.e. live in nanny, live in housekeeper, both ladies in 1 or live out). The reason is that what I mainly see are live out nannies and housekeepers, both full time and part time (i.e. only half day or 2 or 3 days a week). A good housekeeper will usually be happy to 'baby sit' as well
Also, bear in mind that the rate you might get might depend on who is referring this person, as they intend to charge bajans a bit less as a rule of thumb. Having said that... you can usually get an agreement that pleases both parties.

Good luck and see you soon!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Wharfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Anna,

Forgot to mention a bit off topic... I don't want to scare you by any means but I would like to warn you as we are here to help each other.

Last year there was dengue epidemic, carried by aeges egypty mosquitos (the ones with white marks in the legs). They bite you during the day, specially during the summer months. So everyone I know is netting the house or taking other measures to avoid getting it this year as 1 of the 4 types of dengue can be quite nasty, specially for children. I don't know how old your kids are, but if you prefer natural deet-free repellents, I would advise you to get them from Boots or Holland & Barret before you come to Barbados. We have only found here a couple of deet-free products that seem to work.

For the rest there aren't any other things I would worry about the children, as I am so happy we moved here a few months ago :-)

See you soon!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Ana Fraser is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Warfer,

Thank you so much for this advice. I can't thank you enough. We have spent some time in South East Asia, so I know what living with the threat of dengue fever is like. I read nothing about this in any article about Barbados, so again thank you, thank you, thank you. I am very particular about bug spray because our children's pedia told us that the only protection against dengue is deet. So I am the opposite and go for products with deet.

Glad you are happy there. we can hardly wait!

Ana
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:18 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

They say that once you get Denge you cant get it again but as there are 4 strains you can get each one..I have experienced Denge twice (not the most serious one that im aware of ) both times I had forgotten to use my SSS (Avon blue bottle only) and paid the price...I now tend to carry bottles in every bag I take out with me when out especially at sunrise and sunset