Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Helicopter pilots - BC or elsewhere (need info on training, jobs, etc)

Helicopter pilots - BC or elsewhere (need info on training, jobs, etc)

Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helicopter pilots - BC or elsewhere (need info on training, jobs, etc)

It's certainly worth phoning them if you can't scout around in person, however I wouldn't worry too much about doing all that before you get here.

Research as much as you can, certainly, but I doubt very much you'd be made to wait very long, if at all, to begin parting with the cash. There's plenty of capacity in most flight schools and they're normally more than happy to take your money at your earliest convenience.

Don't feel you have to commit yourself to anything before you've had a chance to visit your shortlist in person, which I would strongly recommend!

Edit: The only thing that MAY make you wait around here is the weather!

Last edited by Iain Mc; Feb 4th 2008 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:45 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helicopter pilots - BC or elsewhere (need info on training, jobs, etc)

Originally Posted by comet555
Well that's just it. There's only so much we can do looking at the list on the internet. I've read a lot about the schools on various forums and it looks like there are several good ones in Abbotsford.

Unfortunately being in Australia at the moment we don't really have the time or money to go over and tour all the schools at the moment. So it'll have to wait until we move back.

The big problem is that when we do go back my husband will be ready to start immediately after he's checked the schools out. But I'm not sure how feasible that is. Is there normally a waiting period to get in? Or could he have to wait a few weeks or months to get a spot?

We absolutely want a school that will teach him everything he needs to know and give him the best chance at getting a job. That along with being comfortable there are the biggest factors to picking one.

I'm just hoping to hear some more insight into schools before we return so we can narror in on 2-3 of them.
Sent you a PM
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Good to know. I figured as much but you never know.

We might call around once we know when we'll be returning. In the meantime I'm definitely not worried about narrowing it down or committing.

The school is the easy part in my mind.... the big problem will be trying to find a job!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:09 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Although mainly a fixed wing training center there are some options for rotary training at Boundary Bay, which would maybe open up Vancouver to you in terms of somewhere to live (if that's something you'd like). I believe Pro IFR do helecopter training and they are highly regarded (I've done some fixed wing stuff with them in the past and would happily recommend).

If you've not done so already check out the AvCanada rotary forum, you'll probably get more useful specifics there. Also maybe worth sticking a post in the PPRuNe Canada forum.

Regards, Iain
Given the choice Boundary would not be my first choice for training. Busy around the Vancouver area as well. Nothing wrong with the flight schools there, but it is very busy and there can be long waits on the ground to take off, all costing you money. Also, the training areas are a 15 - 20 minute trip each way from the airport, so long transit times.