Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Registering a Birth and receiving a Birth Certificate - HCMC, Vietnam

Registering a Birth and receiving a Birth Certificate - HCMC, Vietnam

Old May 6th 2013, 8:47 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Registering a Birth and receiving a Birth Certificate - HCMC, Vietnam

Howdy 'Bored',

Wondered if any of the jet set denizens of BE had some input they can give me on the above task/s...

Me, Scotsman, and my wife, Siberian, have just welcomed our son into the world, Alexander James FKASE...

We now face the challenge of obtaining a Vietnamese birth certificate so that we can then go and register him at the Brit Consulate, get his UK Birth Cert, his passport etc etc..

However, having trawled the Dept of Justices' website for what seems an eternity, I am no clearer what I need. The UK consulate, as always, is as much use as a eunuch at a Best Boner competition.. All they will tell me is there is nothing they can do until I get the Vietnamese one...

However, the DoJ appears to request an 'agreement' stamped by the 'foreign country', agreeing that the child in question CAN take on the requisite nationality..

Catch 22....

So, anyone with any insights / knowledge?

I am quite prepared to pay for someones services here in HCMC to do all the running around etc...

I just need to get it done!!!
Old May 6th 2013, 8:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a Birth and receiving a Birth Certificate - HCMC, Vietnam

I know it's not Vietnam but when my children were born in Thailand the hospital issued a document which we then took to the local council office to obtain the proper birth certificate . Maybe there is something similar that you have to do in Vietnam . Sorry I can't be of more help . Maybe someone local will be able to help .
Old May 6th 2013, 9:08 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a Birth and receiving a Birth Certificate - HCMC, Vietnam

Yep, there is a form from the hospital confirming the date etc of the birth.

Its the rest of the paperwork that is proving difficult to determine... and whether they require everything notarized and translated etc etc..

I know I could go down personally to the DoJ and find out but, quite frankly, I don't have the time to fart around....

S'why I'm hoping someone here has been through it...
Old May 6th 2013, 1:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say Congratulations Hope Mum and baby are doing well and not too many sleepless nights.
Old May 7th 2013, 11:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can see, you need to take the relevant paperwork down to your local Justice Department office and get the birth registered there. This is a guide for US citizens in Hanoi, but I'm guessing it will broadly be the same paperwork for British citizens in HCMC.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/vi...Department.pdf

This blog entry might prove useful too.

http://hello-saigon.com/2012/07/30/h...te-in-vietnam/

Then just follow the guide on the UK government website to find out what you need to do to get Alexander's UK birth certificate and then his British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:04 am
Just Joined

louisvn is an unknown quantity at this point

Please feel free to contact me on 0908606098 when you have any problem in appying for a birth certificate in HCMC.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Are you working for the UK gov then?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

louisvn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi bakedbean, I do not work for the UK gov. I provide some paperwork services for Vietnam Expats in HCMC.