Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Travelling Portugal to UK

Travelling Portugal to UK

Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

capdan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling Portugal to UK

We have made the road journey from Sao Bras to UK several times and have always done it in two days. This year the journey back will be over three days so that we are not so exhausted. Stopping in France is no problem as we normally use the B&B chain of hotels. However, stopping in Spain is new to us.
I am posting this in the hope that others will be able to help. Can anyone recommend a hotel (s) in Spain good for a stop over close to motorway? Our proposed route back is Sao Bras - poss Burgos as the first stopover- next stop Tours- onto Sangatte for the tunnel. Open to offers. Have tried the route up through Portugal and across the top of Spain and France then we stop Bordeaux usually. We have also been up past Madrid. So any suggestions very welcome, even if not my proposed route. We do motorway but try and avoid some tolls if possible, however we can't face the 15hr , 13hr days we had last time on the road. Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 12:51 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling Portugal to UK

We travel from Galicia to The Netherlands most of the time we set of around mid day her so we sleep one night in Spain (it is cheaper than France). The route we normally take is along the coast. If we do we stop off at Bilbao where there is an ETAP. It looks as if it is now going to be called IBIS budget.
If we take the inland road we have stopped off at Burgos. You can stay in the centre but getting in and finding your hotel can be complicated because of the predestination of the old area. A hotel right by the Autovia is Hotel Ciudad De Burgos (3 star). It is located on the junction of the AP1 and AP4. We like the city of Burgos and feel deserves more than a one night stop over, when you have the time.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point

We stopped at that hotel near Burgos last year and agree it's excellent. It's a little disconcerting when you first pull up because it looks a bit motel'ish but it's actually very nice inside.

We've also stayed at the Hotel Dona Brigida just outside Salamanca quite a few times and that is also excellent and very convenient.

Another two of our favourites handy for the motorway driving through France are the hotel in Le Barp and the Auberge du Bec Hellouin in Normandy.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capdan
We have made the road journey from Sao Bras to UK several times and have always done it in two days. This year the journey back will be over three days so that we are not so exhausted. Stopping in France is no problem as we normally use the B&B chain of hotels. However, stopping in Spain is new to us.
I am posting this in the hope that others will be able to help. Can anyone recommend a hotel (s) in Spain good for a stop over close to motorway? Our proposed route back is Sao Bras - poss Burgos as the first stopover- next stop Tours- onto Sangatte for the tunnel. Open to offers. Have tried the route up through Portugal and across the top of Spain and France then we stop Bordeaux usually. We have also been up past Madrid. So any suggestions very welcome, even if not my proposed route. We do motorway but try and avoid some tolls if possible, however we can't face the 15hr , 13hr days we had last time on the road. Thank you in advance.
Actually did this route in reverse - first stop Tours - second stop Vittoria (which is not far from Burgos). Stayed in Holiday Inn Express at both places. Both pretty good (see Trip Advisor for reviews) and easy distance from the m'ways. Although I have to admit the main reason I stayed in HI's is because I had free accommodation from points previously earned on business trips
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much. Both replies are really useful and I had no idea there was a holiday Inn in Vittoria Gasteiz, although the sat nav always gets us lost round those parts!! I am now in the process of booking and just wanted to say many thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capdan
Thank you so much. Both replies are really useful and I had no idea there was a holiday Inn in Vittoria Gasteiz, although the sat nav always gets us lost round those parts!! I am now in the process of booking and just wanted to say many thanks.
Yes - it's not that easy to find as it's in a light industrial estate south of the city - although it's actually less than 200m from a motorway exit. It's just off the link road which joins N1 (J135) to the N102. If you are there on a Sunday evening don't expect to find any restos open - the hotel will send out for takeaways which you can eat in the dining room. It's a HI Express so doesn't have a full resto. It's a nice quiet stopover as it's close to the motorway, brand new and does a reasonable breakfast.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:20 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great rip and do not forget to purchase those dreaded breathalyser kits once in France. Either for this trip of future ones.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Got them ordered last week and they have run out, waiting for delivery!!! But they should come through soon. I think loads of places will run out of them to begin with! Thanks anyway
Old May 1st 2012, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

We have stopped in Ibis Valladollid, very near the motorway and a nice hotel.

What is this about the breathalizer kits? I've missed something.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Seems that driving through France from July you need a breathalyser kit. They are not very expensive but you must have one in your car. Also and i don't have the date you can't have speed camera activated on any Satnav device. I did read that there is a heavy fine if your Satnav has speed camera setup switched on so beware

Peter
Old May 1st 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Breathalyser's are £4.99 for a twin pack. You must carry two. Make sure you order the ones that conform to french law (not UK/IRE). Internet search will show them or look on AA travel, etc. I think the speed camera law has now been passed as well, although originally this was supposed to come in later this year. Various motoring sites say it is already law. Hope that helps.
Old May 4th 2012, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

ferragudofan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have recently done the trip there and back - can recommend the Holiday Inn at Vitoria Gasteiz too - and we also stayed at a fab hotel in Salamanca - you can find out all the details on a recent blog post http://algarveblog.net/2012/04/11/po...s-from-my-car/
and some 'where not to stay' places too!
Old May 5th 2012, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ferragudofan,

Thank you for your tips and I have just read your blog. So funny, as we have done numerous trips by car to Portugal. Yes, your car becomes your house and the nightly hotels all are fun to explore and discover how good or bad they are. I normally put all my reviews on trip Advisor now and use that for recommendations. But can i just say I will never stay in a Campanile either, similar experience to you but different location...are they all as bad? (Yes one tea bag between 3 , small room no light, downstairs and rude staff all for the pleasure of 75€, we cancelled breakfast...Carrefour do everything you need and happened to be across the road from our hotel!) Thanks for the reply and blog....but i didn't book the Holiday Inn in the end we changed our stop for the night and am taking a chance with Hotel Foxa, Valladolid!!! Anyone stayed there? Reviews look good!
Old May 6th 2012, 8:20 am
Just Joined

ferragudofan is an unknown quantity at this point

have fun! and let us know how you get on! (take some tea bags! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.