Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Byron bay and surrounds

Byron bay and surrounds

Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Byron bay and surrounds

A possible job in Byron, can anyone give me the lowdown on areas to avoid and possibly schools?

We have one primary school aged child (year one), want to rent 450-600 per week, 3 beds min....have 2 cars so don't mind a TINY bit rural (like 10 mins drive) near beach a plus if walkable but def not top of the list. Good school doesn't matter if small or big.....just responsive kids would be nice...

Any tips on life here?

PP
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:17 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Byron bay and surrounds

Originally Posted by plantpot
A possible job in Byron, can anyone give me the lowdown on areas to avoid and possibly schools?

We have one primary school aged child (year one), want to rent 450-600 per week, 3 beds min....have 2 cars so don't mind a TINY bit rural (like 10 mins drive) near beach a plus if walkable but def not top of the list. Good school doesn't matter if small or big.....just responsive kids would be nice...

Any tips on life here?

PP

Love Byron Bay.

Have you tried the My School Website?
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

You could look at www.brisbaneinformation.com.au or www.brisbanecitylife.com.au/bd/school/private. Byron is a fantastic holiday destination and changed to more of a tourist attraction since we arrived in 2006, but cant give you much information on living and working there, but I am sure you will get lots of information from the forum
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There was someone on here who lived down there but can't for the life of me remember who, don't think they're around much anymore, sorry. I only nip down for an hour or so every few months so no idea on schooling. Not sure on the use of the two links in spadgersdad's post. One doesn't work and the other is just Brissie.

Only thing I know is what I was told by a lovely lady in the hospital bed next to Tiddler last week which was that for a tourist town it's got a brilliant community spirit amongst the locals. I wouldn't mind living down there.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

We love it there for holidays and read somewhere that it is difficult to get a job there because they were so sought after and that once you work and live there, it is very hard to get move away from because it's such a great place to be. I can't remember who wrote the article or where I read it so it may not be from a family perspective. To us, it has a similar (but on a miniature scale) vibe to Brighton in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There was someone on here who lived down there but can't for the life of me remember who, don't think they're around much anymore, sorry. I only nip down for an hour or so every few months so no idea on schooling. Not sure on the use of the two links in spadgersdad's post. One doesn't work and the other is just Brissie.

Only thing I know is what I was told by a lovely lady in the hospital bed next to Tiddler last week which was that for a tourist town it's got a brilliant community spirit amongst the locals. I wouldn't mind living down there.
Sorry moneypenny, late at night and a glass of wine not a good combination for sending links I Missed the Capitals off it is www.BrisbaneCityLife.com.au they have excellent information and extra links at the bottom of the page with information about NSW and Byron. Sorry for other link as moneypenny said information only about Brissy.
We visit Byron 2 or 3 times a year camping and love the atmosphere and the village feel and got to agree would be lovely to live there the atmosphere is so relaxed.

Last edited by spadgersdad; Apr 16th 2012 at 6:42 am.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks I looked at the my schools website for the area, the schools are much of a muchness.

The possible job is a temporary 2.5 -3 year job then move back to SYdney (if you read this Bee don't mention it elsewhere....I know you are discrete..)...

I am a teacher but as someone pointed out before my spelling and grammar are appalling so I don't stand a chance, luckily for me it isn't my job!

Does anyone now anything about the Hinterland area? Bit Hicksville? Lennox Head or Ballina? Like the look of Brunswick Heights?

I know Nimbin is a place I might feel out of place straight and wearing shoes....so probably won't move there....

Any insight appreciated and thanks for the replies so far...

pp
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:55 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Any tips on life here?

PP
I visited Byron bay in Oct 11 and thought it was horrible! Graffiti,dirty,Infact we decided to leave earlier than we expected. I am sure it was nice once! But I would not give you tuppence for the place!
People may slate me but its MY opinion.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan
I visited Byron bay in Oct 11 and thought it was horrible! Graffiti,dirty,Infact we decided to leave earlier than we expected. I am sure it was nice once! But I would not give you tuppence for the place!
People may slate me but its MY opinion.
I think the area around Byron (the hinterland) is much nicer than Byron itself. Byron at holiday periods is a complete nightmare.

People I know up there have ditched Byron in favour of the inland towns...Bangalow, Mullumbimby etc. From what I'm told these places are where the real Byron community spirit has gone...I don't think it can afford to live in Byron anymore!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone now anything about the Hinterland area? Bit Hicksville? Lennox Head or Ballina? Like the look of Brunswick Heights?

I know Nimbin is a place I might feel out of place straight and wearing shoes....so probably won't move there....

Any insight appreciated and thanks for the replies so far...

pp
It's fab, providing you don't want lively Mullumbimby is great as is Bangalow, Ballina is ok in parts, some bits can be a bit bleugh but that could just be me. Lennox Heads is lovely, stunning part of the world. Brunswick Heads is just a camping town to me, wouldn't bother with that. It's all very small country town but with amazing countryside around there.

If you're a Sydney person you could die a slow and lazy death but if it's what you're after then it's great. You'd be about an hour to the Gold Coast but about an hour and a half to busy/lively Gold Coast. You're only an hour from Cooly airport to get to all k inds of places and about an 8/9 hour drive to Sydney. For a 2+ year contract I'd go for it like a shot.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's fab, providing you don't want lively Mullumbimby is great as is Bangalow, Ballina is ok in parts, some bits can be a bit bleugh but that could just be me. Lennox Heads is lovely, stunning part of the world. Brunswick Heads is just a camping town to me, wouldn't bother with that. It's all very small country town but with amazing countryside around there.

If you're a Sydney person you could die a slow and lazy death but if it's what you're after then it's great. You'd be about an hour to the Gold Coast but about an hour and a half to busy/lively Gold Coast. You're only an hour from Cooly airport to get to all k inds of places and about an 8/9 hour drive to Sydney. For a 2+ year contract I'd go for it like a shot.
I have 2 kids, and am studying, so for the money I would go as we could save a bit and then return, reckon if I studied night and day I could hack it. Not worried about graffiti, after all I lived in Nottingham
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Can't say I've ever noticed any more dirt or graffiti there than anywhere else and grafitti is one of my bugbears so I tend to notice it. Fab fish and chips at Fish Heads up near the swimming pool. I feel a visit coming on.....