Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Buddhism....

Tell me about Buddhism....

Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about Buddhism....

I have to confess I didn't read through the whole of that - life is too short and I have to go take a shower in a minute

But... how do you connect the 'conscious' mind with 'being asleep'. I can relate a little bit to Predictions. I have dreamed things that have happened. But surely one is not 'conscious' in that dreamlike state.

Any thoughts on that Takso?

By the way, bit off topic, did you used to live in Ipoh? Nice city I believe.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

takso, can you upload your images to BE rather than hot linking them.

Many thanks
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

takso is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I have to confess I didn't read through the whole of that - life is too short and I have to go take a shower in a minute

But... how do you connect the 'conscious' mind with 'being asleep'. I can relate a little bit to Predictions. I have dreamed things that have happened. But surely one is not 'conscious' in that dreamlike state.

Any thoughts on that Takso?

By the way, bit off topic, did you used to live in Ipoh? Nice city I believe.
When we are asleep, our conscious mind would fall into slumber at the same time. Basically, our conscious mind is closely related to our physical bodies. It means there would be a biological clock being attached within it i.e. there would be duration for staying awake and for resting.

However, there is another term of mind i.e. sub-conscious mind that has no biological clock. The sub-conscious mind is somehow independent from the physical body. This is because when the physical body is being ‘switch-off’ temporarily, the sub-conscious mind still works unpretentiously. For example, we could still have vision in our dreams even with our physical eyes closed while asleep.

And dreams are succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep. In other words, we could say that our sub-conscious mind is like VCR – recording analog audio and analog video from broadcast television so that the images and sound can be played back at a more convenient time.

Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:31 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Takso. I can understand the "play back" bit, but not sure about if you are dreaming something that hasn't happened yet Though I'm probably drifting right off topic here.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Takso. I can understand the "play back" bit, but not sure about if you are dreaming something that hasn't happened yet Though I'm probably drifting right off topic here.
Dreaming about something that hasn’t happened yet? Yes, this is something that is unusual but it has been happening rather often throughout my life especially after my meditation session. Basically, I could differentiate between what are fantasy dreams and what are foretelling dreams.

The foretelling dreams would appear in signs or symbolic events and for my case, it would turn into actual events within 2 weeks for short term or 20 years for long term – this is based on my dream statistical analysis throughout the years.

Just drifting more off-topic here, I could also see into my immediate past life, seeing, communicating & commanding spirits, seeing the destiny of individuals, ability in prolonging life span, influencing machine and results, reducing pain on patient that is terminally ill, granting wishes, etc.

So, who am I? I have no answer for it yet.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:13 am

Crikey
Old Aug 19th 2012, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

The Key Ingredients of the Nature

Nature is originally referred to essential qualities or innate disposition; related to the intrinsic characteristics that plants, animals, and other features of the world develop of their own accord. The essential qualities of the nature can be divided into two categories i.e. inherence and dependence. Both of these qualities as observed by the mind would exist concurrently in harmonious orientation. Therefore, it is imperative for one to understand that the nature is sufficiently universal and infinite in its original disposition and is governed by the universal laws.

Right now, what could be the key ingredients of the nature? Precisely, the answer would be energy or emptiness. When one sees into energy, one sees into emptiness; when one sees into emptiness, one sees into energy. This could be the rationale for the saying, ‘Form is Empty, Empty is Form.’ The principle in effect : seeing into form is seeing into matter, seeing into matter is seeing into energy and seeing into energy is seeing into emptiness. Energy is described as the ability to cause change or do work, while emptiness is understood as absence in the static entity and devoid of inherent existence for all created objects or things. Both the energy and emptiness are universal qualities that correspond to dependent arising and inherent existence concurrently.

For general understanding, conditional phenomenon is a necessary pre-requisite for energy to exist; without it, existence would be impossible. On another front, emptiness is a necessary pre-requisite for any object to exist; without it, the object would be impossible. Therefore, we could conclude that energy and emptiness are essential qualities for the dependent nature to sustain perpetually. When there is no dependent nature arising, no energy or emptiness would arise. Likewise, when there is no energy or emptiness arising, no dependent nature would arise. This is how the conventional reality works i.e. not in-linear but in inter-dependence, inter-woven and inter-relation since the dawn of time in a very comprehensive and complicated network of existence.

In the dependent nature, the existence of energy would give rise to the mind that in turn conjures up perceptions, conceptions, labels, boundaries, names, activities, shapes, relations, descriptions, stereotyping, beginning, ending, etc. The mind is a necessary pre-requisite for the circumstances of duality or multiplicity to be present. As such, we shall be clear by now that mind is the forerunner of all states. These circumstances of duality or multiplicity are merely the end result of various aggregated activities being observed by the mind under the influence of conditional phenomena.

And only when there is a balance circumstance, there is a chance for integration process i.e. under a balance phenomenon, one could witness shapes or forms arised; under an imbalance phenomenon, one could see no shapes or forms arised - and the cycle of conditional phenomena continues. Therefore, it is correct to mention that all objects are empty and exist conditionally without an eternal essence. They only exist in relation to each other as appearances that in turn vary as per the perceptions of the beholders.

When one ponders as a subject on the other side of the object or matter, one would notice that energy takes on various forms and reborn all the time in the dependent nature. However, the sum of all the energies in the system is a constant or never changes because energy can neither be created nor destroyed as per the Law of Conservation of Energy. This would mean that energy corresponds to inherent existence as well due to its unchanging nature described as above. It is the same case scenario for emptiness. Emptiness corresponds to both dependent arising and inherent existence concurrently. While emptiness could not exist without a dependent partner, emptiness in direct perception cannot be segmented or dissected further to see the real origin because it does not constitute some false appearances concealing a lack of inherent existence. Therefore, it has unchanging nature that all conventional phenomena lack.

As a summary, we could conclude that energy and emptiness are essential qualities that exist everywhere in the dependent and inherent nature. In the dependent nature, the something as in object would not arise out of nothing but instead, arise out of the energy aggregates that have been forever existed in a system. This is because energy or matter is actually the same thing, both reflected in a different form (as in Einstein’s formula, E = mc2). And since we can’t see energy with our naked eyes, we would call it empty instead of nothing. It is difficult for one to see into this ultimate truth because the mind is dependent arising and the presence in the waves of dependent phenomena have clouded the mind from discerning the reality of circumstances i.e. ignorance arises. Nevertheless, the wise Buddha has laid emphasis that one should see in all angles of things or matters while searching for ultimate truth or reality. Without it, any conclusions made out of one’s observation would not be balance or in wholesome nature. And with the presence of emptiness, the potential movement of the mind from non-enlightenment towards a state of enlightenment would be possible.

http://www.slideshare.net/buddhitaks...ality-buddhism
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

siriwanjs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much Takso for providing a lots of information of Buddhism and all principles. Also thanks a lots for Nonthaburi for your great observation and really explain very very well. You both are great and know more than me who were born as Buddhist.
As Nonthaburi mentioned about The Five Precepts. It was a basic to believe that if Buddhist people can follow all five, it would make you a better person. There are reasons behind that. I would gather formal information that explain why, later. The main believe is Karma, you do good you get good, and you do bad you get bad in return, sometime it happens this life. It becomes to believe of re carnation. You do good this life, next life your life would be better that why some people were born as blessing.
Why man becomes a monk?
The hundred years ago, temple is the first place to Thais to practice Buddhism, there is no school since then. So the monks were well known as wisers to teach people how to read and write. Also temple is the center of community for all Thais go there to do merit(Tam Boon). All the girls were raised to be a house wife, to serve a man. So the girls didn't go to the temple to learn things like boys that's why temple was the place where the young boys met young girls (when they celebrate some of religious ceremony) and got married later. Thai original culture was so conservative. Man is a leader and woman is fellow. The girls had to learn how to cook, clean, take care of siblings, babies and elder people. And for the Thais men become a monk, we believe that the temple is the only school to learn things to become a better men. Then some didn't want to it was a belief to convince as Thai men are supposed to go through Monk hood so that their mothers can be free of sins. Buddha never said that in his doctrines. It becomes a tradition till now.
For doing merit, the reason behind that is to make people learn how to give, share, not selfish and learn how to help each other as human being.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

siriwanjs is an unknown quantity at this point

The reasons behind Five Precepts

Buddhism is the most profound and wholesome education directed by the Buddha towards all people. Five precepts are the curriculum of Buddhist teaching, which are embraced in the moral code of Buddhism. By observing precepts, not only do you cultivate your moral strength, but you also perform the highest service to your fellow beings. The Five Precepts are:

1. Do not kill
2. Do not steal
3. Do not indulge in sexual misconduct
4. Do not make false speech
5. Do not take intoxicants

These are the basic precepts that all people should practice and abide by. As a result, you will live in Three Good Paths (Gods, Demigods & Human), not in Three Evil Paths (Hell, Hungry Ghosts & Animals), enjoy all the blessings, happiness and freedom in Human and Deva Realm.

1. Do not Kill

One must not deliberately kill any living creatures, either by committing the act oneself, instructing others to kill, or approving of or participating in act of killing. It is a respect to others' lives.

One should not deprive others (animals not excluded) of the right to live. If one is hurt or killed, one's family, relatives, friends will suffer. It is the cause of rebirth in Three Evil Paths. The effect of killing to the performer are brevity of life, ill health, handicapped and fear.

In observing the first precept, one tries to protect life whenever possible. Furthermore, one cultivates the attitude of loving kindness to all beings by wishing that they may be happy and free from harm.

2. Do not Steal

It is a respect to other's properties and the right to own property. If something is not given, one may not take it away by stealing, by force or by fraud. Besides these, one should avoid misusing money or property belonging to the public or other persons. In a broader sense, the second precept also means that one should not evade one’s responsibilities. If an employee is lazy and neglects the duties or tasks assigned to him, he is, in a way, "stealing" time that should have been spent on his work.

In its broadest sense, observing the second precept also means that one cultivates the virtue of generosity. A Buddhist gives to the poor and sick because of their need. He makes offerings to the monks, nuns and masters because he respects the qualities they possess. He is generous in his gifts to his parents, teachers and friends because of the advice, guidance and kindness they have shown him.

Besides giving material things to the needy and the worthy, Buddhists should also offer sympathy and encouragement to those who are hurt or discouraged. It is said, however, that the best of all gifts is the gift of the Dharma in the form of teaching it or in the production and distribution of Buddhist books.

Greed is one of the Three Poisons, which leads us to attachment and suffering. The bad effect of stealing are poverty, misery, disappointment, etc.

3. Do not Indulge in Sexual Misconduct

Though the moral standards are different in different countries and in different times, rape, adultery and other abnormal sexual behaviour that involve physical and mental injury to others should be prohibited. It is also a matter of respect for people and personal relationships.

Sexual desire is one of the main causes of rebirth in the Six Paths. If we wish to end the birth and death cycle, we should not indulge in sexual misconduct or any other abnormal form of sexual relationship.

The effect of sexual misconduct are having many enemies, always being hated, and union with undesirable wives and husbands.

4. Do not Lie

To refrain from telling lies is to show respect for the truth. No good can come from telling lies, be it out of fun or malice. When a Buddhist observes the fourth precept, he refrains from telling lies or half-truths that exaggerate or understate, and instead cultivates the virtue of truthfulness. Once people uphold the respect for truth, there will be fewer quarrels and misunderstandings and fewer cases of false accusations in the courts of justice. Society will then become more peaceful and orderly.

5. Do not Take Intoxicant

Buddhism emphasises wisdom. Taking intoxicant will descend and lose the seed of wisdom. Intoxicants, such as drugs, liquor, smoking, etc., are harmful to health. It seems that taking intoxicant is not hurting others. However, if we are drunk and lose our consciousness, we may easily commit evil deeds and hurt others. Therefore, one who breaks this precept will tend to break all other precepts along with it.

The fifth precept is based on respect for mental health. It guard against the loss of control of one’s mind. It is particularly important to those who meditate because, by refraining from taking intoxicants, they can more easily cultivate awareness, attention and clarity of mind. Thus the observance of the fifth precept not only contributes to happiness in the family and peace in society, it also prepares a person for the practice of Mental Development.
Old Sep 14th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

I think the Buddha encouraged people to question everything, including what he taught, that way they get to know for themselves.
I dont follow any religion but most of them work on the principle of compassion - "do as you would be done by" and if we did, wouldnt it be a perfect world
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

The spirit of a Lohan (Pindola or Nantimitolo?) captured on my i-pad during the start of Jade Emperor prayer in front of my house on 18-02-13.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:25 pm

meaning?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

meaning?
..idid wonder
Old Feb 21st 2013, 12:34 pm

We may have a wait as Takso only seems to post about every 6 months. But I am sure it will be worth it
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:19 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

he must be off meditating again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.