Reload this Page >

Tell me about Buddhism....

Tell me about Buddhism....

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

takso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tell me about Buddhism....

Originally Posted by redbean
Takso, matey....take a chill pill.......you are giving us, buddhists a bad name.
I don't get you? What does buddhism mean? May you can tell and share more?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 1:04 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by takso
I don't get you? What does buddhism mean? May you can tell and share more?
Takso

I just popped on to have a read because I enjoy learning about learning about other cultures and beliefs. It is clear you have a very in depth knowledge of all aspects of Buddhism, and from one of your posts I suspect you are a published writer of Buddhist literature.
I hope I do not offend you with this as that is not my intention, but after reading two or three of your posts I gave up. They were a bit too heavy going and far too text book style for gaining a basic understanding, and would need time to re read then disseminate to gain the understanding of the content within.

This would be fine for a student of Buddhism, or for a devotee, but for members of a forum like be, I feel that the text bookish and complex content of your posts would just go over most peoples' heads. How about trying to explain Buddhism in shorter and simpler terms, perhaps using everyday examples that people reading can truly relate to?

Dread - x
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

and you still haven't told me about what I want to know about the Tripitaka.....

no rush though, in your own time
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:33 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Takso

I just popped on to have a read because I enjoy learning about learning about other cultures and beliefs. It is clear you have a very in depth knowledge of all aspects of Buddhism, and from one of your posts I suspect you are a published writer of Buddhist literature.
Let me try to give a summary on Buddhism.

5 Commendment Thingy
-----------------------
1. Don't kill
2. Don't steal
3. Don't lie (the most difficult in my opinion)
4. Don't drink alcohol/don't do drugs
5. Don't have extra-marital relationships

3 Truths
--------
1. Nothing lasts forever
2. Nothing is certain
3. Suffering is everywhere

5 Things to Thankful for
-----------------------
1. Buddha
2. Dhama (scriptures of Buddha)
3. Monks (children of Buddha)
4. Parents
5. Teachers

3 Good Deeds
-------------
1. Helping others (donation, helping)
2. Being a good person (follow 5 commendments)
3. Meditating on scriptures (3 truths, 5 things to be thankful, and other teachings)

Final Destination
----------------
Nirvana (eternal bliss)
You can reach if you have enough good deeds. Normally, you cannot accumulate enough good deeds in single life time, so you must work on it for several lives.

Hope it helps!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Laurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really nice

Way way too much in depth info on here for little old me.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

there was an article in this weeks Sunday Bangkok Post about a Buddhist Relic Museum on Rama 3 in BKK. Apparently it has relics and stuff from many different Buddhist countries and some Hindu stuff as well. In the photos it looked quite good and it is free too. Might interest some.......
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

The Deepest Fact about Things

Why is it so difficult for one to know and see the Ultimate Truth? Why are we here breathing, thinking and talking right now? Why the beginning and then the ending? Why something? Why not nothing? Why this and that?

For one to see the Ultimate Truth, one has to unwind everything back to the moment of the origin. We do know things and happenings exist because it can be known and felt by our senses. And our mind interprets event or happening as a condition that one has to go through, to persevere with, to soldier on with, to carry on with or to undertake with inevitably. And since things and happenings existed long before we have the slightest opportunity to recognise and understand it well, we are bound to suffer ignorantly.

However, as human beings, we have the wisdom to make identification or recognition on the entire circle of events or happenings. In this dependent nature, we do know one thing that is consistently constant i.e. becoming. This becoming process is the main reason for all the things or happenings that we observe right now and then. When there is a becoming process, there is a change process. When there is a change process, there is a circumstance that shapes up some sort of abilities in this nature. This ability of sorts is also known as ‘energy’ in the scientific terminology. As such, we are clear now that energy is something that has always existed and remained constant as the Law of Conservation of Energy that says energy in a system can neither be created nor destroyed and the sum of all the energies is a constant or never changes.

When we deal with the subject of energy, indirectly, we also touch on the subject of matter. This is because energy or matter is actually the same thing - both reflected in a different form. Just like, cause or effect is the same thing - both reflected in a different time of event. As a summary, we could conclude that energy is a fundamental element in this dependent nature because every single thing or happening would involve energy aggregates. Even the so-called souls, ghosts or spirits are all part of the energy aggregates because they could positively be detected by electromagnetic devices.

So, when we mentioned that the sum of all the energies in the system is a constant or never changes, it means that there is a need for a balancing act in this dependent nature. Otherwise, constant factor cannot be achieved at all and the natural bounding law that dictates this circumstance of equilibrium in this dependent nature is called the Law of Karma. In other words, the Law of Karma is simply a natural law of balancing. And only when there is a balance circumstance, there is chance for a formation activity to take place i.e. under a balance phenomenon, one could witness shapes or forms arised; under an imbalance phenomenon, one could see no shapes or forms arised - and the cycle of conditional phenomena continues.

For general understanding, the Law of Karma is a comprehensive law that runs in phenomena full of complexity and way beyond the simple and straight forward action-reaction principles discovered by modern scientists. This is because events or happenings in this dependent nature varies in frequency under the conditional influences and thus the working result of Karma is non-conjecturable and to speculate about it would bring madness and vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

Right now, let us take a look at the other angle of nature that is non-dependent nature. What constitutes a non-dependent nature? A non-dependent nature is also known as inherent nature of existence. Anything that inherently exists would not involve change and created objects cannot inherently exist since that would involve change. Therefore, we could conclude that all things or happenings in the dependent nature cannot inherently exist because the process of becoming or change is the key element of it.

So, how could we identify the Ultimate Truth in this nature? Rightfully, we could mention that this nature is ultimately universal and encompassed with both inherent and dependent qualities. The inherent quality of nature can be known as the deepest fact about things. It exists beyond mind, beyond concepts and words and it bears with the characteristics of beginning-less and end-less. Our mind is capable of perceiving this reality of nature and Buddhism is all about transformation from an ignorant state of mind into a realised state of mind. And an enlightened mind is able to discern the deepest fact about things in crystal clear and without hesitation after getting rid of the wave of dependent phenomenon.

As a conclusion, we shall know by now that this nature is universal that bears with the inherent and dependent qualities. The Ultimate Truth would remain unshaken no matter how one interprets it and one should not waste time trying to prove who is right, who is wrong, which school teaches more truth, etc. Trivial arguments would make one looks more foolish among all the other ignorant beings. And the world is not a closed one. Those who see, read, hear and evaluate for themselves can find the truth they seek. The role of religion in this era is not as a blockage but to help explain and educate in a mature manner.

Be bound-less, be stereotype-less, be label-less. Mould a right attitude and it would open up a new horizon of things.

Have a nice living and loving day!

Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:45 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

How can energy and matter be the same thing when in fact mind energy can penetrate matter (if you have that capacity to do so)?

You have a nice day too, and it's Easter Monday so Happy Easter to you
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
How can energy and matter be the same thing when in fact mind energy can penetrate matter (if you have that capacity to do so)?

You have a nice day too, and it's Easter Monday so Happy Easter to you
E=Mc2
Old May 17th 2012, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

What is Enlightenment, Awakening, Nirvana?

Nirvana is a phenomenon beyond all conventional phenomena. Conventional phenomenon is subject to conditional and duality influences – in continuous and constantly changing state of affairs. Nirvana phenomenon would arise when there is non-existence of conditional and duality influences – a complete neutralising state of affairs.

There is no mind, no thinking, no becoming, no changing, no evolution, no clinging, no wanting, no impermanency in Nirvana. Moreover, Nirvana is not about wanting for nothing. In the first place, there is no wanting to begin with, therefore, wanting could not be the cause for nothing. One of the basic footsteps to achieve enlightenment and reach Nirvana is to practise ‘letting go’. Letting go is not the same as giving up hope - a frustrated expression. Not to hope is not to become; not to become is not to cling and suffer.

So the choice is yours ultimately – to hope and suffer or not to hope and not to suffer. There is no right or wrong choice but simply wholesome or unwholesome choice. Wholesome would mean seeing things as they truly are and in totality of perspectives; unwholesome would mean seeing things as they delusively are and in non-totality of perspectives. As such, for one to be awakened or otherwise, it is entirely a personal aspiration and not a commandment of sorts.

In Buddhism, there are no commandments to be found; no hierarchical ranking between followers, etc. Any sorts of authoritative claims based on personal gratifications are purely egocentric in nature and devoted followers must not put in their faith blindly on anything; come what may. And it is worrisome to see and hear nowadays that many of the so-called Buddhists are mere sutra collectors or interpreters.

In the first place, Buddhism is never about what the Buddha has said and what has not said personally. We have to examine, ‘What is the real meaning of the Buddha?’ It is literally translated as the ‘Awakened One’. But, what is one awakening to? It is awakened to the reality of ‘Dukkha’ and the cessation of it. Now, when we mentioned the Buddha's saying, are we only referring to Siddartha Gautama alone? How about other beings that have had achieved enlightenment along the thousands of years?

For general understanding, Siddartha Gautama is a Buddha, but Buddha may not necessarily be Siddartha Gautama alone. And the next question would be, ‘Who wrote all the sutras, when were it written?’ Definitely, Buddhism is not only about the sutras per se but also other missing links. On this pretext, Buddha is wise to mention that in order to appreciate what the essence of Dhamma is about, do not believe what he said until one investigates and sees it. This principle is so essential to uphold and sustain so that the original essence of Dhamma could remain intact; surpassing time.

In other words, there is no place for blind faith in Buddhism. Let us be awakened and not be hampered by belief boundaries. Nature belongs to nature; not to any particular religions or beliefs. Liberate ourselves from any hindrances and be enlightened. Apply your wisdom and you would find the true answers to it. The door is open and you need to walk in the path by yourself; someone could only shine the light or show the way in. One should always apply wisdom in all thoughts or actions and never be too fascinated or obsessed with what was written and mentioned in the so-called texts, doctrines, sutras, or any sort of supernatural claims, etc.

To see it, know it and let go – no need to grasp it – this is how one practises, ‘Seeing things as they are’ – see only with eyes and mind, don’t get into any involvement; more importantly – let go the self and ego factors.

Buddhism is not about circumstances, but attitude towards circumstances. Be freed, be liberated, be neutralised!

What is suffering?

The word ‘suffering’ seems to appear in every corner of Buddhism. And generally, one would tend to associate suffering with pain, agony, sadness, dissatisfaction and all sorts of negativity in one’s life time. Unfortunately, this is not the case in the eyes of the Buddha.

For general understanding, the meaning of Dukkha or suffering would mean ‘to bear with’ in the Buddhist context. Any circumstances that would involve one - to continue with; to persevere with; to soldier on with; to carry on with; to undertake with; to go through with would mean suffering. Literally, it is not correct for one to focus so much on the condition of pain, agony, dissatisfaction, joyfulness or happiness; for these conditions merely reflected as the consequences of Dukkha arising.

‘To bear with’ is to suffer and the antonym of it is ‘to let go’. So, stop submitting yourself to the conditional circumstances and you would be freed, be liberated and be neutralised!

Let us cure the cause, not the symptoms!

What is Heaven? What is Hell?

For general understanding, heaven or hell is not a respective plane of existence waiting for exclusive memberships. Instead, it is the so-called member that has made up the self-qualifying arrangement for the chance of heaven or hell plane to arise.

Just like, inhabitant is a necessary pre-requisite for any villages to exist; without it, the village would be impossible. Therefore, once again, heaven or hell is not a plane of existence to be found ‘up-there’ or ‘down-there’ waiting to be filled in by the so-called rightful elements.

In fact, heaven or hell is simply next to your mind, your eyes, your ears, your consciousness, your sub-consciousness, etc. When a person lay dead on the ground, the three basic elements i.e. energy, matter and space elements would separate from each other. Precisely, both conscious and sub-conscious (energy) aggregates would depart the body (matter).

However, only sub-conscious aggregates would sustain in liberated forms but not the conscious aggregates. The switch of conscious aggregates would be turned off and it would not carry on beyond the graveyard. But the sub-conscious aggregates that have no switch for on/off-turning and would stay behind in the so-called soul or spirit forms. And it is the characteristics of the sub-conscious aggregates that would determine the next plane of existence for the so-called soul or spirit. Therefore, one should not miss the chance of moulding the sub-conscious aggregates in correct manners before kicking the bucket!

For instance, it is right to say that good begets good, evil begets evil. When one pays to live a hell-like condition in the present life time, one would be repaid in the next phase of existence as in hell plane. Just as sow apple seeds, reap apple fruits; sow orange seeds, reap orange fruits or Action 1 conjures up Reaction 1; Action 2 conjures up Reaction 2.

So, when one is dedicating one’s life towards hell-like conditions, then the sub-conscious aggregates would retain the so-called ‘hellish’ information that would carry on; surpassing the demise time period. The ‘hellish’ retention could only be weakened through conscientious goodwill prayers or persuasions being performed by the third parties (transference of merit).

Therefore, please be aware of the nature of circumstances that you are exposed to or associated with during your lifetime. And if possible, it is beneficial to create heaven-like ambience at all times; more importantly during the closing chapter of your present life. This is because where you ended up to in the next phase of existence is very much dependent on the retained information in your sub-conscious aggregates - be it heaven-like or hell-like ones.

In conclusion, the fate in your next life is very much dependent on the characteristics of your sub-conscious aggregates. It is the originator or architect for the heaven or hell realm. Mould it well at all times and if possible, be enlightened to eradicate the suffering of it.

Once again – be freed, be liberated, be neutralised!
Old May 17th 2012, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Old May 17th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Non-self, Voidness and Rebirth as according to Buddhism

Buddhism believes in Anattā (Non-self) and Śūnyatā (Voidness or Emptiness). How do we explain it?

Firstly, let us analyse what it means by non-self. In Buddhism, non-self means non-ownership of self. What we used to claim such as the “I” or “You” or “We” is merely an expression for our mind to comprehend on day-to-day communication with another individual. However, this expression does not grant us with an ownership of our soul or body. And it is easier to explain the non-ownership of our body than the soul because we can see the rising (birth) and the passing (death) of physical bodies every time and anywhere we go.

As for the ‘soul’ thing, Buddhism believes in the absence of eternal existence of it. Soul is just a plain description for something that arised in intelligence but without physical appearance. And the ‘something that arised in intelligence’ is also not permanent and subject to change at all times as according to conditional phenomena (voidness in every existence). So there again, there is non-ownership of the soul-of-self.

So, how do we explain for believes in reincarnation process according to Buddhism? Actually, Buddhism believes in rebirth and not in reincarnation process. This is because there is no permanent grasping of soul or body during the rebirth process. It means though the mentioned cycle of process is repeated, every cycle is different from one another, just like the saying, ‘It looks like me, sounds like me, but it is not me.’ In other words, there is linkage between the past, present and future of an individual but there is no trans-migration process taking place. A clear example would be how the genetic lineage works for generations.

Let us look at the following illustration on how rebirth takes place as according to Buddhism: -

The Coffee in a Cup

Let say Coffee Original is one of the special brewed drinks: -

300ml hot liquid water
70% coffee powder ==> 100% Coffee Original in cup Jumbo
30% condensed milk

Supposedly, the cup Jumbo has broken apart by accident and the content has splattered around i.e.
30% onto the table,
40% onto the floor,
5% onto the wall,
10% onto the drain,
5% vaporised into thin air,
10% remained in the broken cup.

A cleaner then takes up a rag and wipes off the remaining liquid coffee in sequential order starting from the table, then the floor and then the wall. In a repeated gesture, the cleaner squeezed off the wet rag and the remaining coffee liquid flowed into three separate cups i.e.

Cup 1 80% already filled with tea liquid mixture.
Cup 2 90% already filled with mocha liquid mixture.
Cup 3 55% already filled with mineral water.

Let say 300ml of properties is a benchmark for a qualified special brewed drink.

The cleaner then filled up the respective cup rooms with liquids derived from the rag that is by and large the remaining of Coffee Original derived from the table, the floor and the wall.

In this case, the respective 300ml of liquids in Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 is dependent on the Coffee Original before a new special brewed drink is made possible. However, this does not mean that Coffee Original is the only dependent source or ingredient. Respectively, Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 would need to depend upon many other sustaining factors as well such as the already partially filled liquids and new cups before qualifying as special brewed drinks.

As a conclusion, the new liquid mixture arising in Cup 1, Cup 2 and Cup 3 is neither identical to, nor entirely different from, the old coffee liquid, but forms part of a causal continuum or stream with it. There is a conditioned relationship between one liquid and the next; it is not identical but neither is it completely distinct.

The beauty of nature is that it allows all sorts of processes taking place such as aggregation, segregation, evolution, mutation, assimilation, etc. As a consequence, every existence would not be totally the same or different from each other. We are all so inter-dependent, inter-woven and inter-related with each other since the dawn of time in a very comprehensive and complicated network of existence – just like the Christian believes that all mankind derived from Adam and Eve.

Lastly, one should not confuse ‘non-self’ with ‘no-self’ and ‘non-eternal soul’ with ‘no-soul’. Buddhism sees in the existence of self or soul but in non-ownership or non-permanency manner.

Namaste

Form is Empty, Empty is Form

Why do we always hear Buddhists saying, ‘Form is Empty, Empty is Form’? What is actually 'form'? We can actually see form as appearance but why do we say it is empty? Isn’t it strange, right?

Well, for common people, form is viewed as an ‘entity’. Entity means thing which exists as a separate unit. So, is it true to say that form does exist as a separate unit as what our ordinary mind perceived?

Let us make a simple illustration now. Supposedly, you stand in front of a large mirror looking at yourself – what you can see is your own appearance of physical body. Now, if you continue to see inside yourself, search deeper and deeper within yourself, what do you see? You could probably see various internal organs, blood veins, nerves, fluids, unit cells, etc.

At the end of the day, can you describe what is the inner most section of your physical body? After the single unit cell, what do you see further inside? Can you find any core essence that is eternal or non-changing further within it? You can’t find anything inside further, right? When one can’t find anything inside further, how does one translates it into? It is EMPTY, right? So, can we say that form is ultimately empty in the real sense? This is the clarification on ‘Form is Empty, Empty is Form’.

But one should not confuse empty with nothing. Empty cannot be literally translated as nothing. While we say form is empty, there are still basic elements remaining. Just like, when we do declare a vessel is empty, it does not literally mean ‘nothing’ inside the vessel – there could still be air, radiation, dust, viruses, etc. that cannot be discerned by our naked eyes.

At the end of the day, we could declare that form is empty in the real sense because there is no core essence within it except for the basic elements i.e. energy, matter and space that orientate and evolve constantly based on subjected conditions. In other words, what our naked eyes view as form is actually the matter and it is also known as concerted, aggregated or concentrated or wrapped energy. Since we can’t see energy with our naked eyes, we would say that the inner most of form is empty in the real sense.

In conclusion, everything that exists is empty because there is no essence to anything and nothing has ever existed in its own quality – nothing is permanent and unchanging. All objects exist conditionally without an eternal essence. They only exist in relation to each other as appearances that in turn vary as per the perceptions of the beholders. Energy is the underlying element for all existence and it is dependent on conditional phenomenon.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
~ The Buddha ~
Old May 18th 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

What is the purpose of Buddhism? Where is God in Buddhism?

Why Buddhism? What is Buddhism? Buddhism is merely a great philosophy that imparts knowledge on seeing reality of things and happenings in our daily lives. Historical facts have shown that Prince Siddartha Gautama became the Buddha out of his vast compassion to see the end of the vicious cycle of life. And the Buddha means the ‘Awakened One’ i.e. one who sees through the ultimate reality of things and happenings.

Perhaps, what Buddhism lacks is the emphasis on the dependence of God. But this doesn’t mean that the Buddha has denied the existence of God. In Buddhism, God is viewed in a different perspective as compared with other religions. As you may know, according to Buddhism, there are 31 planes of existence in this nature and God is placed at a higher level of existence than human being.

Of course, the Buddha did recognise that God has an important role in the spiritual development of individuals. God could help individuals in many ways but still, God is not permanent and subject to conditional influences as well.

At the end of the day, the Buddha has seen through that ‘dependence’ is part of the key sources of Dukkha arising and to eradicate it, one has to let go ‘dependence’ in total aspect. Therefore, Buddhism is an alternative method to seek solace and liberation for individual who needs it. Buddhism may not be acceptable to individuals that can’t make do without the dependence aspect in life. As again, there is no right or wrong element here, but simply a personal choice.

What does Buddhism believe in?

Buddhism believes in, literally, nothing. Yes, nothing! Buddhism merely involves in seeing, knowing and letting go of things or happenings. In other words, Buddhism upholds direct experience and recognition but not faith system.

Perhaps, one has heard the phrase, ‘Seeing is believing’. When one sees it, one truly sees it. No one could shake it. But when one only believes it, without seeing it, one would bind with more curiosities and disputes.

We can illustrate the above principle in a class of Mathematics. Supposedly, a new formula was put forward to the class - should the students adopt with attitudes of understanding on how the formula derived or should the students adopt with attitudes of simply memorising the formula without any understanding on how such formula derived? A wise student would definitely choose the former method because by understanding well the origin of the formula, one could lighten the weight of memorising the formula blindly. This is also how the path to enlightenment works – diminish the ‘bear with’ factor and enhance the ‘let go’ factor.

Undeniably, the Buddha has always emphasised the importance for one to utilise wisdom in all thoughts and actions. This is what he meant by wholesome thoughts or acts. The Buddha has never laid commandments that one should think or do this; never think or do that, etc. If one continues to adopt this sort of mentality, one would simply adopt the principle of ‘blind faith’ which is much on the contrary to Buddhism.

Just like, it would be wholesome for parents to expose their children with both good and bad influences together. Any acts of depriving the children from exposing to bad influences would only create distorted view or perception in the real society (unwholesome acts). Subsequently, upon exposure of both good and bad influences, parents could encourage their children to use their wisdom to lead more meaningful life in the real and complicated society (wholesome acts).

In short, the Buddha has laid emphasis that one should look in all angles of things or matters and then apply one's wisdom in the decision making. The Buddha has merely left behind guidelines for one to pursue with and it would be meaningless for one to read and tag along the contents of written texts, doctrines or sutras on Buddhism blindly without applying wisdom.

No doubt the available scriptures, doctrines or sutras did play important roles in keeping the essence of Buddhism, but how many of the so-called Buddhists nowadays have gained full enlightenment by mere reading or reciting it? The key question is not how good or well one could quote this or that from the scriptures, doctrines or sutras but more on the practicality and direct experience of it.

Preaching Dhamma is not about quoting this or that from various sources on Buddhism. These available scriptures, doctrines or sutras were merely tools for one’s Dhamma practices. And tools would remain as tools and it would not turn a person into an enlightened being if the application is without wisdom. Also, the Buddha has recommended the establishment of Sangha community so that any followers could interact and support each other while pursuing the guidelines of Dhamma. The Buddha has not established the various sects or schools of Buddhism as what we could see nowadays.

Once again, Buddhism is never about beliefs. Instead, it is all about direct experience and recognition. Seeing the Buddha is seeing the Dhamma – it is seeing and knowing the ultimate reality of things and happenings and not to get entangle with it. So, the choice in the way of life is ultimately yours. Live a life wholesomely, all the times! Be freed, be liberated, be neutralised!

Old May 21st 2012, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Who am I?

Am I the mind? Am I the body? Or, am I the five body senses?

To the Master, I am a Servant,
To the Teacher, I am a Student,
To the Buddha, I am Empty.

So, who am I, actually? Am I the flesh and blood? Am I the soul? Am I the consciousness? Who am I, really!?

Frankly speaking, what we used to claim such as the “I” or “You” or “We” is merely an expression for our mind to comprehend on day-to-day communication with another individual. However, this expression does not grant us with unchanging or permanent ownership of our mind and body.

The “I” or “You” or “We” is purely part of the becoming processes in this dependent nature. Both our mind and body would constantly orientate and evolve as according to the subjected conditions. The physical body is shaped up as appearance due to the existence of matter and matter is basically concerted, aggregated or concentrated or wrapped energy.

In other words, appearance is merely a momentary outcome of aggregation process that varies according to subjected conditions. For example, ice, water and steam are different appearances derived from the orientation of H2O properties based on subjected conditions. In other words, it is the orientation of H2O properties that has taken place to conjure up the momentary outcome of it. As for the mind, it is also originated from the aggregation process that conjures up memory and conscious aggregates and varies under the influence of phenomenal conditions.

So, right now, how could we properly describe ourselves? The right way to express ourselves is, ‘I am what I am’. ‘If you think this is what I am, then I am’. ‘If you see that is what I am, then I am’. The phenomena that arise are very much related to the consciousness that perceives them. Phenomenon exists as this or that is dependent on the observers. It is just like describing the same elephant by different blind men – one blind man may say elephant looks like tree trunk; another blind man would say elephant looks like snake.

And this is how we explicate the presence of the wave of dependent phenomenon has clouded our mind from discerning the reality of circumstances. What constitutes a reality then? A reality exists beyond mind and beyond concepts and words in the sense that it is beyond our usual ways of perceiving things. Language and conception only imply that things exist in distinct manners i.e. wise person, dumb person, saint, devil, etc. - in such well-defined and independent categories. Perceiving reality is seeing that things do not exist in these fantasised, impossible ways, in black and white categories.

In other words, a reality is such label-less, bound-less, stereotype-less, colour-less, beginning-less, end-less and for the ease of our expression, we could summarise it as the ‘Deepest fact about Things’. An enlightened mind is able to discern the ‘Deepest fact about Things’ in crystal clear and without hesitation after getting rid of the wave of dependent phenomenon.

So, when we talk about Buddhism, it is all about transforming an ignorant state of mind into a realised state of mind – a process of Enlightenment. To begin with, one would need to set in a right mentality or determination. One has to see all things as they really are, to liberate from it and to be enlightened. Have boundless compassion and loving kindness along the way. This would be an everlasting remedy to the rising of Dukkha that was recommended by the wise Buddha.

In a fully awakened state of mind, there is no longer the need for label, colour, stereotype, boundary, beginning, ending, etc. All subjects and objects are in completely neutralised state of affairs - when this arises, that arises; when this ceases, that ceases.

Old May 21st 2012, 9:11 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with you there realestates. Clearly those "Buddhists" are not thinking of others and therefore aren't proper Buddhists I guess.

Takso, what do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.