Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hows job situation in Benidorm looking at mo ?

hows job situation in Benidorm looking at mo ?

Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Mechanic1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hows job situation in Benidorm looking at mo ?

hows the job situation looking in Benidorm at moment ? - one of my friends out there from Romania - out of work. Struggling to find usual bar work etc. - I presume this is normal for 4 - 5 months starting December ? Or is it exceptionally quiet at moment in comparison to past years ?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hows job situation in Benidorm looking at mo ?

It is particularly quiet in Benidorm and the job situation is deteriorating by the week! Was talking to a bar owner on Monday, her husband has worked in hotel trade for 20 years, was out of work for 5 months last year and "let go" again at end of main season this year.
Our neighbour is a musician who would usually work 5 nights per week. Has two nights this winter and was even cancelled for New Years Eve due to low numbers in the hotel. Our other neighbour is an aircon/heating engineer with only approx 2 days a week work and his wife lost her job as a seamstress at the end of the summer, they are both struggling to try and pay the mortgages.

Several hotels have shut the top ten floors, bars and small shops are closing at an alarming rate and some of the chain hotels say they will not open for the winter season 2011/12 as bookings are predicted to be so low. I was also told that the pensionista subsidised holidays have been reduced/stopped and they usually make up a large percentage of the tourists in Benidorm over the winter.

Worrying times and the 400+ euro benefit for long term unemployed as also now stopped. Very sad for all those affected and not expected to improve anytime soon.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hows job situation in Benidorm looking at mo ?

Originally Posted by Mechanic1974
hows the job situation looking in Benidorm at moment ? - one of my friends out there from Romania - out of work. Struggling to find usual bar work etc. - I presume this is normal for 4 - 5 months starting December ? Or is it exceptionally quiet at moment in comparison to past years ?
Mechanic1974 ,I pressume you are a mechanic ? if so I`d say you stand a good chance , from what Ive seen over the last couple of years as things have got tighter to only busy people are mechanics , bring all your tools in a secure van and work mobile initialy ,advertise in the ex pat magazines/bars/shops and dont give credit, if you are good at your trade and dont try to charge UK labour rates you will make a living.

If you get stuck on Spanish names for car parts send me a pm.

Remember , most men will get rid of the wife before the car!!