Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Land of opportunity...

Land of opportunity...

Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land of opportunity...

Originally Posted by ugacrew
To be fair I also was wondering the same thing. Given the very low amount of posts that you have and the strong penchant for posting sites and articles to back up your arguments, I had to wonder about your background. I think without knowing that you are a Prof. at Florida I'd probably think you were someone who had a strange hobby of collecting economic statistics. It makes sense now.
Does it make sense?

The link he quoted is not to an economics text book, but to a right-wing think tank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...olicy_Analysis

"The National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research organization, established in 1983. The NCPA's goal is to develop and promote private alternatives to government regulation and control, solving problems by relying on the strength of the competitive, entrepreneurial private sector."
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:24 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fonseca33
that puts the UK below Alabama for the year 2007
given the choice between Alabama and the UK, I know where I'd rather live
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:25 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Does it make sense?

The link he quoted is not to an economics text book, but to a right-wing think tank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...olicy_Analysis

"The National Center for Policy Analysis (NCPA) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research organization, established in 1983. The NCPA's goal is to develop and promote private alternatives to government regulation and control, solving problems by relying on the strength of the competitive, entrepreneurial private sector."
The charts used to strengthen the argument were from the Organization of Economic Co-Operation which is not a think tank. The inferences from those charts might be shady but the charts themselves are from this organization. Seems like they have an international membership. It makes it seem fair to me in that regard.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The charts used to strengthen the argument were from the Organization of Economic Co-Operation which is not a think tank. The inferences from those charts might be shady but the charts themselves are from this organization. Seems like they have an international membership. It makes it seem fair to me in that regard.
Data can be bent this way and that, but you could argue that an unemployed person in most EU countries will have a better quality of life than many employed people in the US (the people who work 2 jobs but still don't have health insurance, for instance).

GDP is one thing, but what is done with it is another matter. The US spends about 2x as much, percentage-wise on healthcare than most European countries, and yet healthcare is not better, and in fact worse for many US residents.

So our GDP is lower - but we still manage to have decent vacation time, maternity leave/pay, universal healthcare etc.

Last edited by Elvira; Jul 20th 2008 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:46 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Data can be bent this way and that, but you could argue that an unemployed person in most EU countries will have a better quality of life than many employed people in the US (the people who work 2 jobs but still don't have health insurance, for instance).

So our GDP is lower - but we still manage to have decent vacation time, maternity leave/pay, free healthcare etc.

GDP is one thing, but what is done with it is another matter. The US spends about 2x as much, percentage-wise on healthcare than most European countries, and yet healthcare is not better, and in fact worse for many US residents.

So our GDP is lower - but we still manage to have decent vacation time, maternity leave/pay, universal healthcare etc.
I definitely can't argue against the fact that the healthcare here sucks. Meaning the availability, costs, and disparity of the system. As I said in my earlier posts, I can't afford to be healthy nor can I afford to be sick. It's a no win situation especially when I've been out of a job and forced to pay COBRA because of the silly nonsense regarding pre-existing conditions being a method insurance companies use to deny coverage. So what used to be a $45 premium per check becomes a $240 premium per month. This while being unemployed and NOT earning the money to cover it. However I have to so that my medications are still affordable and if I ever get into an accident or sick and needing medical attention. It's the thing I fear the most when it comes to being sacked. That and having to pay a mortgage.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:55 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Economics Professor at UF, and I think I know (after years, and after hundreds of publications) what I am talking about. What I said is also common knowledge, so I am surprised somebody doubted it.
I have little doubt that the US has lower structural rates of unemployment than most countries in western Europe, most of the time. This chart provides an example: ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.reques...bor/flsjec.txt

However, if you are an economics professor, then you should understand the following points:

-Comparing unemployment data on an international basis can be deceptive, because there is no single universal definition of what constitutes "unemployment." Governments often play with the definitions, in order to make their rates look lower than they may actually be.

In the US, the commonly cited "unemployment" figure is what the BLS refers to as the U-3 rate, which is based upon benefits eligibility. It does not include "discouraged workers" who don't have jobs but who are believed to have given up because their joblessness exceeded the benefits period.

If you measure US unemployment by the U-6 rate, which includes the "discouraged workers" and the underemployed, the US unemployment rate is currently close to 10%. The U-6 rate is often 3-4% above the more commonly quoted U-3 rate. Obviously, the government would not be thrilled to see U-6 become the new standard for reporting, even though they have been collecting it for years. http://www.bls.gov/opub/ils/pdf/opbils67.pdf

-The US is able to achieve high GDP on a PPP basis because it uses its enormous trade deficit and low-wage immigrant labor (often in the form of Latin American illegals) to effectively export inflation.

While this has been an effective tool for propping up the US economy for the last couple of decades, this management model is unsustainable over the long run, and will cease to function properly if and when the US dollar loses reserve status. The US is uniquely able to support such a massive trade deficit because the dollar's reserve status provides us with lower interest rates than we could otherwise support. When countries such as Argentina attempted to play the US' game, they saw their currency crash and their banking system teeter on the brink of collapse.

The US pursuit of constant growth at the expense of its export base is a long-term path to disaster. This is the macroeconomic equivalent of living on a credit card from monthly payment to monthly payment, praying that the bank continually raises your credit limit.

That sort of game ceases working when the bank decides to stop playing. It hasn't stopped already only because the US economy is enormous, not because of brilliant management or some miraculous spiritually enlightened invisible hand.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

The poorest state is Mississippi is for 2007:

GDP: $90 billion
Population: 2,912,000

Per capita GDP: $ 30,900

http://www.bea.gov/regional/gsp/

http://www.census.gov/popest/states/...EST2006-01.xls

As of 2007, Italy was at $30,400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

Of course, I'd rather go to Italy anyway
Yeah i read old statistic. Something like 2001 or 2003 but i still can`t realized GDP could growth so much rapidly. Numbers like 27 or 28 i think closer to reality.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

That's totally incorrect. Look here lady:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...PP)_per_capita

And yes, that puts the UK below Alabama for the year 2007 ($35k vs $36k). The state figures come from the BLS website:

http://www.bea.gov/regional/gsp/

You were probably looking at GDP per capita at exchage rates. This is the incorrect way of calculating it, since it doesn't take into account the real exchange rate and cost of living. GDP per capita (ppp) is the correct way of measuring it.

The figures which you've seen probably use the market exchange rate to calculate GDP, but of course the correct way to calculate this is using PPP.

For more reading:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/59/53/37984314.pdf
I never said it was, I said nothing about PPP. I was using the example of the claim to illustrate how blindingly stupid and irrelevant these figures can be.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

GDP is per capita. Europe shares it out more evenly. The US is approaching an oligarchy in this respect.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
given the choice between Alabama and the UK, I know where I'd rather live
Oh but we all know what a powerhouse of economics, culture, education and opportunity Alamaba is ... why on earth not?

Or perhaps the statistics are blindingly stupid and irrelavent ...
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Vladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to allVladimir is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I have little doubt that the US has lower structural rates of unemployment than most countries in western Europe, most of the time. This chart provides an example: ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.reques...bor/flsjec.txt

-The US is able to achieve high GDP on a PPP basis because it uses its enormous trade deficit and low-wage immigrant labor (often in the form of Latin American illegals) to effectively export inflation.

While this has been an effective tool for propping up the US economy for the last couple of decades, this management model is unsustainable over the long run, and will cease to function properly if and when the US dollar loses reserve status. The US is uniquely able to support such a massive trade deficit because the dollar's reserve status provides us with lower interest rates than we could otherwise support. When countries such as Argentina attempted to play the US' game, they saw their currency crash and their banking system teeter on the brink of collapse.

The US pursuit of constant growth at the expense of its export base is a long-term path to disaster. This is the macroeconomic equivalent of living on a credit card from monthly payment to monthly payment, praying that the bank continually raises your credit limit.

That sort of game ceases working when the bank decides to stop playing. It hasn't stopped already only because the US economy is enormous, not because of brilliant management or some miraculous spiritually enlightened invisible hand.
I think that USA economic on its way of collaps. Already 2-3 % of GDP already approved to be fake. But GDP is and money like paper go to third countries.
Bushs government wont to stimulate economic that mean that dollar collaps would eat poorest countries.

Last edited by Vladimir; Jul 20th 2008 at 4:26 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:31 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Oh but we all know what a powerhouse of economics, culture, education and opportunity Alamaba is ... why on earth not?

Or perhaps the statistics are blindingly stupid and irrelavent ...
Alabama vs UK - tough decision innit...

Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm Economics Professor at UF, and I think I know (after years, and after hundreds of publications) what I am talking about. What I said is also common knowledge, so I am surprised somebody doubted it.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba475/
So you've never actually worked, in business, and more specifically in Human Resource management in Europe then?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Alabama vs UK - tough decision innit...
Birmingham is right choice
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Fonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud ofFonseca33 has much to be proud of

Please tell me what you are arguing about. What did I specifically say that was incorrect? Everything I have said about duration of unemployment and GDP/capita is factually true. We are not talking about healthcare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.