Default Re: Baking, Sponge cake

Originally Posted by possoms
... it had never been used in 10yrs!!
That should have told you something...
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:53 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
But a packet mix IS flour... the SAME flour, plus fats!
You have to add eggs and milk, but there's no difference to what they use...

I've tried everything and I cant get cakes to turn out.....even my yorkshire puds are like friggin pancakes and I used to win prizes for my baking
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gop
Help, is it me, my oven or ingredients here?
I have been making celebration cakes for a long time, but I can not get a simple bloody victoria sandwich right here. Is it the flour? Any one else had problems, or even a recipe for a birthday cake sponge that works please.
Jane
I'm having enough trouble here

G
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I've tried everything and I cant get cakes to turn out.....even my yorkshire puds are like friggin pancakes and I used to win prizes for my baking

I never made yorkshires in the UK, too lazy really

But anyway, my aunt gave me this recipe and it's worked so far.

1 cup of flour
1 cup of water/milk mixed
4 medium eggs.

Mix it all together, put it in the oven on full blast for about 15 - 20 minutes (or til they look done). Voila perfect puds

Of course, if I put my oven fan on they are as flat as a fart
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I bake a LOT and found that when we moved to Belgium it took be ages to get the mixture right (they don't do SR flour and their sugar is different) then when we came here I had to start working out the ingredients all over again. I do find though that the flour here is pretty much the same as the UK and when my cakes came out greasy it was because I was using too high a proportion of fat (which was what was needed in Belgium). I use a standard slab cake recipe which is approx 4 oz butter, 4oz sugar, 2 eggs and 6 oz SR flour, vanilla essence or other flavouring (increase quantities to suit). This comes out very light every time as it used to in the UK here, whereas in Belgium it used to come out like a rock and only the Victoria Sponge recipe from Nigella Lawson would work.
Keep with it and it will get there in the end.
Good luck
Nicky
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:12 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
That should have told you something...
aye, though my OH constantly reminds me that he does a wonderful mixed grill...1 white, 1 wholemeal, 1 brown
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:22 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Humidity and altitude both affect the baking process. Are you using a recipe from a different country? Try finding a local recipe.
When I moved from the UK to the US I had to change my bread recipe's because it is so humid here, i simply reduced the amount of water added and slightly increased the yeast. We got a new bread maker when the motor went on the old one, this had a US recipe book and the bread is always perfect using the suggested recipes.
My baking skills don't extend past simple pies and loading the bread machine, so I can't offer any specific advice on your Victoria Sandwich.

Originally Posted by gop
Help, is it me, my oven or ingredients here?
I have been making celebration cakes for a long time, but I can not get a simple bloody victoria sandwich right here. Is it the flour? Any one else had problems, or even a recipe for a birthday cake sponge that works please.
Jane