coming to Jakarta

Old Apr 13th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

DaveJk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default coming to Jakarta

Can anyone advise me on how you live healthy in Jakarta with the pollution. Is the air cleaner anywhere? I am a runner but it looks like that will have to go on hold whilst Im there. What about the best place to live, being a brit with wife & young daughter? thanks Dave
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming to Jakarta

Hi Dave
Welcome to the forum...there is not much action here so replies might be a bit scarce.
I'm afraid I don't have good news...Jakarta is a huge metropolis city with very few green/healthy areas...money seems to be the main reason for its existence.
Pollution is not too bad but traffic jams are horrendous. There are many high class malls and hotels, but little in the way of pedestrian walkways or public transport.
Most expats who choose to live in Jakarta are either work or business related. Help like maids/drivers/handymen are cheap; as is food.
There are places to visit like Bogor or Bandung or the beaches at Merak, but the traffic to get there is an issue. I think when expats want to get 'outta dodge' they go to Bali/Singapore/Malaysia or Phuket. For the more adventurous I do recommend trips throughout the archipelago but language may be a barrier as English is not common outside the main cities. Bahasa Indonesia is not difficult to learn...except for 'bodohs' like me...
If your plan is to work in Jakarta I suggest you need your employer to arrange accommodation, visas, work permits etc. as the bureaucracy can overwhelm.
I also suggest joining a gym...Celebrity is the best imwo.
Shoot any particular questions Dave and I'll attempt responses.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming to Jakarta

If you want to run outdoors then it all depends where you live / work. There are a number of sports stadiums with running tracks and out of town you can easily find a suitable road running route.

Other than that its the gym and a treadmill. There are many gym clubs associated with the big hotels. Not sure of pricing though.

In regards living and eating healthily that's no problem if you are disciplined. Good fruit is plentiful and cheap as are vegetables. However, its so easy to get sucked into Jakarta's expat night life of eating out, drinking beer and frequenting smoky bars and night clubs.