Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:12 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Idiot proof route to drive from UK to Italy

I'm guessing the high price in Switzerland are on the motorways? I say this as I was in Geneva at New Year and I thought they were pretty good, euro for Franc. It was 1.45fr to the euro then, so alot of places came out pretty good value. But then Florence isn't the cheapest place to be and neither was Chamonix, so compared to prices further south or away from big tourist areas I suppose they could be seen a high. I had the most fantastic steak, chips and gravy in Geneva though! Cost me 25fr with a glass of wine, water and a salad! So about 17 euros?? The steak was 3 biggish fillets too. Could have been horse, but it didn't say, plus I think horse costs more than beef normally!!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

If you stick the vignette on with a layer of washing up liquid it peels off really easy. Sometimes the border guards will stop you and stick it on for you.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:44 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivingHere
If you stick the vignette on with a layer of washing up liquid it peels off really easy. Sometimes the border guards will stop you and stick it on for you.
Because we all travel with Fairy Liquid in our cars
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LivingHere
We'll be driving UK to here and then a couple of months later back to the UK. Tell a newbie european driver - are these vignette time-limited or for one journey only? what's the advantage of being able to peel them off easily?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:41 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindaf
We'll be driving UK to here and then a couple of months later back to the UK. Tell a newbie european driver - are these vignette time-limited or for one journey only? what's the advantage of being able to peel them off easily?
Think they are valid for 12 months of motorway use.
Not sure of the advantage of peeling it off - apart from not having it stuck on your windscreen when in another country.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

The advantage of peeling them off is that you can share them with friends and family. In Austria you can buy one for shorter time spans.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:18 am
Just Joined

abruzzese is an unknown quantity at this point

If you take the route from Calais to Mulhouse then through Gottard tunnel to Como you can use cheap formule 1 motels to stop overnight.

From Nancy to reims its just as easy to take an a road instead of motorway and the bit before Mulhouse goes across the Voseges mountains into Alsace so is really lovely.

Swiss service stations are very pricey so stock up on picnic staples at Carrfour in Mulhouse junc 22 ( cheapish fuel ) there's a good 'Paul' bakers cafe there for lovely cakes and coffee.And you can buy Alsace wine too.