Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:25 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British citizen living abroad? Non-EEA spouse? This may affect you!

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I disagree - the Immigration Directorate Instructions (page 7) only says that such applicants do not need to complete two years probationary leave before applying for indefinite leave. It does not say that any other requirements are waived.

I do not read this as saying that hey have to meet all the the requirement except the 2 years. To get ILE KOL they met all the financial and the only reason they did not get ILE on its own was due to not having passed KOL.

Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months Leave to Enter (LTE). During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). UKBA

Perhaps someone who has done it can clarify what they did.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
Perhaps someone who has done it can clarify what they did.
Although the rules do not indicate any waiver of other requirements, in practice it is most likely a fairly straightforward process - especially if the application is made not too long after the previous one.

However saying all that, this route doesn't have long to run left so there isn't much point in pushing the discussion any further.
Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
To get ILE KOL they met all the financial and the only reason they did not get ILE on its own was due to not having passed KOL.
As a pointless sidepoint, although the visa is KOL Req, it is not ILE KOL Req. A person with KOL Req does not hold ILE (indefinite leave) - they have temporary leave for 27 months, during which they can apply for indefinite leave early.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Jun 17th 2013 at 11:04 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Little article on the BBC news page highlighting the 'Surinder Singh' route...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195
Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Little article on the BBC news page highlighting the 'Surinder Singh' route...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195
Very interesting, thanks rebs. The woman who's working in Dublin so that she can 'bring her parents across from Australia' - I didn't know that the SS route included parents. I wonder if her parents are actually with her in Dublin, because I think they'd need to be?

Anyway, I suppose the SS route was bound to attract more and more attention. I hope that doesn't make it harder for those already engaged in the process.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Location: Uk origin, but working in West Africa (currently Mali)
Paul the Ghost is an unknown quantity at this point

So I am a british passport holder (UK born and bred), but currently working in West Africa. Am in love and married to a Guinean who is going to have my child in the new year. Reading all this depresses me. I have a house still in the UK (still paying the mortgage). Was hoping to be able to split my life between UK, Guinea and work (currently in Mali), but realise this is not going to be possible. Financial demands, language demands (she speaks french and only very little english) makes me realise that my dream is a very distant one even though I clear 5000gbp per month paid into a uk bank account. Appears system is there to prevent any immigration, regardless of whether it is considered appropriate or not. Looks like I'm gonna have to become an exile and settle for a beach side house in somewhere like Sierra Leone for the time being. My wife just does not understand, particularly as to formwe to enter Guinea, I pay for visa and enter (simple)
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 5:58 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I spent three solid days researching Surinder Singh - mainly using these forums and other ones too, people are extremely helpful. I have compiled all the useful answers I found here:

http://robynthegraduate.wordpress.com/ss/

Hopefully might save some people time if they're looking for specific answers? I only accept responsibility for putting it all together, the answers were from clever, helpful people all around these forums.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robynxo
Hi guys, I spent three solid days researching Surinder Singh - mainly using these forums and other ones too, people are extremely helpful. I have compiled all the useful answers I found here:

http://robynthegraduate.wordpress.com/ss/

Hopefully might save some people time if they're looking for specific answers? I only accept responsibility for putting it all together, the answers were from clever, helpful people all around these forums.
Looks great. Any interest in copy/pasting it onto the BritishExpats Wiki too? There is a (very empty) page on Singh already
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:10 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Looks great. Any interest in copy/pasting it onto the BritishExpats Wiki too? There is a (very empty) page on Singh already
done http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Surinder_Singh
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue, or any other mods, could you add this one to the wiki pages list at the top of this forum? Cheers!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 3:58 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23182670

and here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...lies-announced

The new rules will mean that all non-EEA dependants of members of the Armed Forces between the ages of 18 and 65 will need to meet requirements on knowledge of language and Life in the UK before they can settle in the UK, and their sponsor will need to meet the minimum income threshold.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23182670

and here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...lies-announced

The new rules will mean that all non-EEA dependants of members of the Armed Forces between the ages of 18 and 65 will need to meet requirements on knowledge of language and Life in the UK before they can settle in the UK, and their sponsor will need to meet the minimum income threshold.
Cheers for the links rebeccajo. I'm going to do a bit more digging about non-European immigrants being charged for use of the NHS - if it's full cost recovery that's proposed for non-EU/EEA spouses then we're absolutely snookered. Oh well, it was a nice dream.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:20 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what is being talked about. Nothing in there about "full cost recovery".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23156403
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

guyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to all

http://www.freemovement.org.uk/2013/...d-unjustified/

A great summary of the recent judgement which while not striking down the rules, also leaves open the door for significant changes including reducing the minimum amount, allowing 3rd party sponsorship and also taking into account the sponsored parties circumstances and assets.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Just to confirm if you have KOL required and pass the Life in the UK test, do you complete the SET (M) in exactly the same way as someone who doesn't have KOL required? Has the SET(M) been updated recently. My husband has his test next week so we will be applying as soon as we can if he passes - fingers crosse!
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.